Parking at Pearson (YYZ) versus taking Uber/Lyft?

Becca43

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I have a solo trip coming up in January, and I’m hoping you can help me figure out whether parking at Pearson or taking Uber/Lyft to get to/from the airport would be the best option for me.

For context, I have travelled solo out of YYZ before, but I have always taken the UP Express from Union Station, leaving my car at home. However, that is not an option this time around because of the time my flight home gets in (just before midnight - I wanted the extra day to shop and resort hop haha).

Are vehicle break-ins common at Pearson? My first thought was to drive and leave my car in airport parking (through Pearson directly, not one of the other travel lots near by), but I’m not sure how secure the lots actually are. What has your experience been?

My other thought was to take the UP Express in like usually for my flight out and then take Uber/Lyft home when I return, but again, safety was my main concern. I’ve only used ride sharing two or three times total and always with others, never alone or late at night. How safe is it to take an Uber or Lyft alone as a solo female traveller going from Pearson to the east part of Toronto at that time?

Thanks so much for your help! It’s much appreciated 😊

YYZ lots are not secure. There have been many thefts. Risk goes up if you have a high end vehicle. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi Beca ,, my sons use Up Express from Toronto but for me I like to drive and park. I am only 15-20 minutes from the airport.

I usually drive my car to the airport and use Park in Fly.
I try to park close to a well lite area and close to the entranceway and a kiosk shuttle shelter..
I ask shuttle driver to wait till I get to my car ,,,they have never said no ,,I do tip.

https://www.parknfly.ca/location/to...MInp3I4cjfggMVzh2tBh0moAxrEAAYAiAAEgJ3tfD_BwE

Here is one I've not tried yet
https://reservations.torontopearson...MImOD1w8jfggMVy8zCBB2qnAemEAAYASAAEgLWTvD_BwE

I have done a quite a bit of Uber/ Lyft single solo in Orlando Florida.

A picture of the driver and their license plate will be sent to you.
I usually hit a quick text to sons ...just taking an Uber.
Once out of the car I sent a quick message I have arrived.
DO NOT introduce yourself ,,let them say I am looking for Beca.

Last year I had a very inexperienced driver miss the drop off point and drop me at the side of a highway overpass.
Make sure your phone battery is well charged.

How can a woman ride Uber safely?

https://www.life360.com/blog/ride-sharing-safety-women/

Uber Safety Tips for Female Riders
  1. Share Your Location with Family and Friends. ...
  2. Verify Your Driver's Identity and Vehicle Information. ...
  3. Stay Alert and Know Where You Are Going. ...
  4. Travel in Groups When Possible. ...
  5. Familiarize Yourself with Emergency Features and Tools.
Protect your safety while riding with Uber
  1. Request your ride inside. ...
  2. Check Your Ride. ...
  3. Have the driver confirm your name. ...
  4. Be a back-seat rider. ...
  5. Always wear your seat belt. ...
  6. Share your trip details with loved ones. ...
  7. Protect your personal information. ...
  8. Follow your intuition.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Article about Lyft and women drivers.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/12/business/lyft-women-nonbinary-drivers/index.html#:~:text=Although women encompass “nearly half,are women, the company said.

Happy safe travels

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
We always use Park and fly economy and never had a problem.

We were away a whole month in Oct. Used it for years once or twice a year. My car is a 2020 so not old.

The drivers usually ask where your car is parked when dropping off. They know where about from the paper they give you when you get on the bus to be picked up. We just point they stop. Most time the buses are full so there are other people in the lot with you.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts so far! @bababear_50 @NAB would you recommend Park’N Fly over other similar companies offering airport parking/the parking offered by Pearson then? And in your experience, has their shuttle been reliable? I did look at Park’N Fly and some others but was hesitant because of needing to take their shuttle to and from the terminal

We have also parked right at the airport but it was expensive.

You are right and have to catch the shuttle back to the lot. The buses run a lot. We saw the valet one come few times , they radioed to the other bus saying we were waiting.

We were the only one on that shuttle to the parking lot so they didn’t really wait until the bus filled up. We have also saw people swarm to the pick up area and have to wait for another bus but they do send for another one.

I know there are 2 park and fly lots , one is closer to the airport the valet self park one . It’s more money but parked there once when the economy lot was full they sent you there and didn’t pay more.

If you pay head of time on line you get a discount. Not sure about other companies. My husband does the searching and we always end up here.

We also parked at a hotel for the night before and left the car there but again, you would need a shuttle back there at the end. My son looked into this but found out it was cheaper to stay at the hotel and drive over to the Park and fly in the morning. He was coming from up north.

Got long winded sorry. We found the shuttles very reliable and very nice drivers.

Hi Beca

Yes I would recommend the Park N Fly route. The cost is reasonable compared to the other companies.

Make sure to get a discount by pre doing it online and leave that copy in your car for when you return home,,, it needs to be scanned .

I paid via Master Card/Visa when exiting.

Hugs Mel

Thanks, everyone! I’m going to look further into Park N Fly and go from there - sounds like a good option that I hadn’t considered yet. Appreciate all your feedback 🙂

We always park at the Value Park garage at Pearson, for as long as 2 weeks. We see many high end vehicles parked there every time, it does give us some comfort when we park ours there when we travel. Best part is, especially during the winter months, it is covered parking, and connected to the LINK train station which takes you directly to the terminals.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/transportation-and-parking/parking/value-park-garage

We always park at the Value Park garage at Pearson, for as long as 2 weeks. We see many high end vehicles parked there every time, it does give us some comfort when we park ours there when we travel. Best part is, especially during the winter months, it is covered parking, and connected to the LINK train station which takes you directly to the terminals.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/transportation-and-parking/parking/value-park-garage

so do we. The “monorail” is the first ride of the trip! 🤣 Love that the car is covered.

We have left a car there for over a month several times and had no problem. For shorter trips have stayed at a hotel with a shuttle and left the car at the hotel.

When my wife takes an uber solo she always shares her ride details with me so I know where she is.

Is there someone you could share your details with? Maybe that might help allay your fears about taking an uber late at night?

I will be going solo in Jan as well, I won’t be driving myself as my husband will drop me off/pick me up since my return flight gets in just before midnight as well, but with that being said we do park at the airport with no issues. We actually book a preferred spot ahead of time, it’s inside and close to the doors. In terms of Uber/Lyft depending where you live that could be costly, we took a Lyft from the airport home, which is in Hamilton, and it cost us $90 something dollars with the tip but Lyft does have the women drivers for women’s safety now. Personally I would just pre book a preferred spot at the airport.

Just out of curiosity is your return flight on the 19th?

When my wife takes an uber solo she always shares her ride details with me so I know where she is.

Is there someone you could share your details with? Maybe that might help allay your fears about taking an uber late at night?

This is an awesome idea. My husband makes me do this every time I’m solo and take a Lyft at Disney. I screenshot the details and text them to him.

I will be going solo in Jan as well, I won’t be driving myself as my husband will drop me off/pick me up since my return flight gets in just before midnight as well, but with that being said we do park at the airport with no issues. We actually book a preferred spot ahead of time, it’s inside and close to the doors. In terms of Uber/Lyft depending where you live that could be costly, we took a Lyft from the airport home, which is in Hamilton, and it cost us $90 something dollars with the tip but Lyft does have the women drivers for women’s safety now. Personally I would just pre book a preferred spot at the airport.

Just out of curiosity is your return flight on the 19th?
Thanks for all the insight! I didn’t know Lyft had women drivers for women’s safety, so that’s great to know. When you have parked at the airport in the past, do you typically park in one of Pearson’s parking lots or use one of the nearby offsite parking services (like ParkNFly or similar)?

I’m not flying home on the 19th, but my flight home is also on a Fri in Jan. Maybe it’s the same airline/flight time, just during a different week 🙂

Thanks for all the insight! I didn’t know Lyft had women drivers for women’s safety, so that’s great to know. When you have parked at the airport in the past, do you typically park in one of Pearson’s parking lots or use one of the nearby offsite parking services (like ParkNFly or similar)?

I’m not flying home on the 19th, but my flight home is also on a Fri in Jan. Maybe it’s the same airline/flight time, just during a different week 🙂

We use the one at the airport, covered and preferred and only a 2 sec walk to the entrance of the airport. We book ahead of time on the Pearson website.

Yeah I’m flying AC at 9:05pm. 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter