"Past Disney" July 2023 Exercise Challenge

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the July 2023 exercise thread! This month we'll be looking at Disney attractions that have faded into yesteryear.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since July has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney exercise challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - 1950s Blue
25% - 1960s Orange
50% - 1970s Purple
75% - 1980s Pink
90% - 1990s Red
100% - 2000s Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on July 1, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

Bethislucy - 500/700
Elizabeth Smith - 400/400
luvpoohandcompany - 720/650
Oneanne - 1455/1395

PollyannaMom - 635/600
Raya - 260/400
sophy1996 - 1260/1400
Twilight Sparkle - 2435/2200

Total = 7665/7745 98.9%

Last edited:
Let's start out with the inspiration for this month's thread -- Discovery Island.

First called Treasure Island (and themed after Disney's pirate film), this 11.5 acre nature preserve in Bay Lake opened in 1974. Its name was changed to Discovery Island in 1977. According to D23, it featured one of the world's largest walk-through aviaries. What reminded me of Discovery Island (and gave me the idea for the theme) was an article a couple of weeks ago noting that the last Florida dusky sparrow died of old age at Discovery Island in 1987. The curators had tried to save the species by beginning a breeding program, but they were unsuccessful.

The attraction closed in 1999, a year after Animal Kingdom opened. The animals on Discovery Island were transferred to the new park, and the buildings were abandoned. Apparently the hub of Animal Kingdom is called Discovery Island in homage to the original wildlife attraction.

In 2020, Discovery Island made the news after a man was caught camping there.

Let's start out with the inspiration for this month's thread -- Discovery Island.

First called Treasure Island (and themed after Disney's pirate film), this 11.5 acre nature preserve in Bay Lake opened in 1974. Its name was changed to Discovery Island in 1977. According to D23, it featured one of the world's largest walk-through aviaries. What reminded me of Discovery Island (and gave me the idea for the theme) was an article a couple of weeks ago noting that the last Florida dusky sparrow died of old age at Discovery Island in 1987. The curators had tried to save the species by beginning a breeding program, but they were unsuccessful.

The attraction closed in 1999, a year after Animal Kingdom opened. The animals on Discovery Island were transferred to the new park, and the buildings were abandoned. Apparently the hub of Animal Kingdom is called Discovery Island in homage to the original wildlife attraction.

In 2020, Discovery Island made the news after a man was caught camping there.
I remember Discovery Island from my very first WDW trip, which would have been around 1996/97-ish. The first time I went to AK I didn't like it and skipped it for the next 4 years, when I finally went back the landscaping had grown in and it became my favorite park for a while.

Love the theme!

I'm in for my usual 600 minutes.

I skipped yesterday because we had company over, but I made up for it today - DS and I went the MFA to see the Hokusai exhibit before it leaves. (more about it)

I got in 20 minutes of "real" walking around the city and another 40 minutes estimated (at 1/3 of museum time).

60/600

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for jumping right to 1950s Blue!

Up until recently, along the shores of Bay Lake, near Fort Wilderness and across from Discovery Island, you would have found Disney's first water park, River Country.

Opening in June 1976, River Country was one of the first major additions to WDW after opening the MK. It boasted a unique filtration system that allowed the park to use water from Bay Lake. By the turn of the century, however, it had been surpassed by Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. It closed for its winter refurbishment in November 2001 and simply never reopened, though Disney did not officially declare it permanently closed until 2005. Its remains became a popular destination for urban explorers to sneak into.

Disney didn't do anything with the area for many years, then in 2018 it announced a DVC project for the site and began work to clear the area. But that project (Reflections -- A Disney Lakeside Lodge) was postponed in 2020 and may have quietly been scuttled.

I'm jumping in with a modest 400 minute goal. I just got back from traveling to see family...and honestly, y'all traveling to Disney, even when I walk 7 to 10 miles a day, is less exhausting! I'm going to count the 25 minutes of airport walking my fit bit logged yesterday, just so I have something to show for the trip. :P

25/400

Congratulations to me and Twilight Sparkle for turning 1950s Blue! And Oneanne is *that* close to changing color as well!

The Florida park that has changed the most might be Disney's Hollywood Studios, formerly known as Disney-MGM Studios. Every single opening-day attraction at DHS has been replaced over the years!

One of my favorite past attractions was the Monster Sound Show. This attraction revealed how Foley artists make sound effects. Audience members supplied the sound effects for a short movie featuring Chevy Chase and Martin Short. The Monster Sound Show ran from 1989 to 1997. (I was lucky enough to be able to experience the Monster Sound Show back in the day. It was super fun!)

It was replaced by ABC Sound Studio, in which audience members added sound effects to an ABC Saturday morning cartoon. ABC Sound Studio ran from 1997 to 1999.

ABC Sound Studio then was replaced by Sounds Dangerous with comedian Drew Carey. In that show, the story was that you were following Carey as an undercover cop on a TV show. When his video goes out, all that is left is the sound. (As a result, much of the show was in complete darkness.) Sounds Dangerous ran from 1999 to 2012, though it was only a seasonal attraction from 2009 on.

Since then, the theater has hosted various short films. Today it is the site of the Mickey Shorts.

The TEAM has turned 1950s Blue, and luvpoohandcompany is *this* close to changing color as well!

Another opening-day attraction at Disney-MGM Studios was Superstar Television. Guests were chosen to play parts from well-known television shows and the audience would see the filmed result. I remember watching guests try to recreate the candy factory scene from I Love Lucy and laughing up a storm. Superstar Television was around from 1989 to 1998.

The space then hosted Doug Live! from 1999 to 2001, Get Happy . . . With ABC! in 2002, and The American Idol Experience from 2009 to 2015. Now you'll find the Frozen Sing-along there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter