Pentax general discussion

What kind of batteries do you use in your camera? How many photos do you get out of a set? I will be playing with mine a lot over the weekend and am sure I will go through a few sets!

I mainly use rechargeable Duracells. The Sanyo Eneloops are very popular.

Speaking of lens hoods...are there any to fit the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses? I don't think I want the ones that screw onto the filter threads.

They include the hood on the DA versions of the lenses. The lenses that come with the K-x kits are DAL. You can buy the Pentax brand hoods, but I have heard that they are all on back order right now due to the popularity of the K-x over the holiday season. I believe the last time they showed up as available on the Pentax web store, they sold out in a few hours.

I mainly use rechargeable Duracells. The Sanyo Eneloops are very popular.

They include the hood on the DA versions of the lenses. The lenses that come with the K-x kits are DAL. You can buy the Pentax brand hoods, but I have heard that they are all on back order right now due to the popularity of the K-x over the holiday season. I believe the last time they showed up as available on the Pentax web store, they sold out in a few hours.

So I would just need to order the hoods that fit the DA version of the lens? Once they're available, of course.

On the KEH site I see a bunch of more inexpensive lenses in the 70-200mm range, around $69.00 are they any good?
Which zoom lense for less than $200 can I use to shoot my kids playing sports?
What numbers am I looking for in a lens (F)?
Like Kevin said - the Pentax 50-200mm is the way to go. Used ones often sell for cheap just because it is a common and popular lens. It's small and light and has pretty solid image quality and good build quality. They generally should come with the lens hood, I'm not aware of any that were sold without unless maybe the "L" (lightweight) ones came that way.

I "borrowed" the hood from my K100D ;) It is going to be the kids camera, so I am going to find another one for it.
I grabbed the one off the K100D too. :) Not sure what I'm going to do with the K100D - it's CCD makes it better for very long exposure (like minutes, not seconds), or I may see about having it converted to IR. For now, it'll probably just sit on the shelf - but with all the other lenses about, its original kit lens will probably not see much, if any, use, so I won't mind the hood being gone.

WEll I am in the hunt for a 50-200, so if you see one I would sure appreciate the heads up!

Tonight I've been trying to use the F stop and ISO rather than the flash in low light settings... its tough for me but I think I've gotten a few good results! I am so happy with this camera. It seems like th only way I can take a bad pic is by not learning all the functions!

WEll I am in the hunt for a 50-200, so if you see one I would sure appreciate the heads up!

Tonight I've been trying to use the F stop and ISO rather than the flash in low light settings... its tough for me but I think I've gotten a few good results! I am so happy with this camera. It seems like th only way I can take a bad pic is by not learning all the functions!

KEH has it for $133, which is not too bad since it includes the hood. http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/DP07999083482J/DP07/FE.aspx

They also have the DAL version for a little less, but it will not have the hood.

Am I reading correctly that you can use an old M42 screwmount lens with this new camera witout any lens adapters or modifications? If so, I applaud Pentax!!! I ask because I'm an Olympus user and I can use older OM mount lenses but it's used with an adapter. Boo!!!

Am I reading correctly that you can use an old M42 screwmount lens with this new camera witout any lens adapters or modifications? If so, I applaud Pentax!!! I ask because I'm an Olympus user and I can use older OM mount lenses but it's used with an adapter. Boo!!!

They do need an adapter, but they only run about $10-20, so it is not expensive.

if you are going to be buying any M42 lens please make sure that you get an original adaptor from Pentax, the second hand adaptors tend not to allow you to focus to infinity as they tend to extend just a little far above the body to allow the lens to reach infinity and some can be a real hassle to get out the camer unlike the Pentax version of the adaptors

We have a bunch of old lenses from our old Pentax SLR's that work! Saaaaweeeet! lol

welcome to the world of Pentax back compatablity i love the idea that I am using a lens made in the 1960's on a camera made over 40 years after the lens was made

I think I am going to go to the local pawn shops on Monday and see what they have available! Maybe I can save a few bucks if they dont know what they have...

I know I am new to all the photography stuff and am well below amatuer staus, (hence I have not posted any pics). But from the pentax users is this lens as good as the reviews it gets? If so it really seems like a bargain, especially seeing as I've found one locally around $250 taxes in. I still havent learnt how to fully use my stock 18-55 on the Kx and know that this will just over stimulate my little brain to pudding but I am more than willing to sit in the corner of the little rubber room and contemplate vocally aperture size vs shutter speed in tongues!

Is there a big difference between 18mm and 10mm?

For $250, either they do not know what they have or there is something wrong with it. They are going new for over $500 right now and used for just about as much. Be aware that it is a fisheye lens though. Do not expect to get straight lines or realistic looking people shots. It intentionally distorts the shot. If you are wanting wider but still a normal look, then this is not the lens for you.

If you can find one for $250 and it looks good (focuses accurately, no obvious physical damage like scratches or scrapes, and the glass inside looks clean and clear) - buy it! Worst case, you can resell it for more.

Some have said that I'm a fan of the lens. Well....... :rolleyes1

Suffice to say, you can find countless photos from it in my various trip reports linked in my signature (9/07 and newer), including from my just-concluded trip (and there will be many more fisheyes coming from that trip!)

Oh yeah - you asked if there's a big difference. At 10mm with that lens, you are getting 180' from corner to corner - in other words, if you're not careful, you'll often get your feet in the shot. :teeth:

Like Kevin said - the Pentax 50-200mm is the way to go. Used ones often sell for cheap just because it is a common and popular lens. It's small and light and has pretty solid image quality and good build quality. They generally should come with the lens hood, I'm not aware of any that were sold without unless maybe the "L" (lightweight) ones came that way.

i got the 50-200mm lens for my birthday last year and unless i'm doing something wrong (which is quite possible), i'm completely unimpressed with the picture quality shooting with my k100D. everything comes out slightly blurry even in bright daylight! i hardly ever take this lens out, which is really disappointing because i would love to use it. i also have an extreeeemly hard time autofocusing with this lens. my camera freaks out, especially in low light situations.

i'm thinking about upgrading my camera at some point this year... i'm wondering how much that would help with this situation?

i got the 50-200mm lens for my birthday last year and unless i'm doing something wrong (which is quite possible), i'm completely unimpressed with the picture quality shooting with my k100D. everything comes out slightly blurry even in bright daylight! i hardly ever take this lens out, which is really disappointing because i would love to use it. i also have an extreeeemly hard time autofocusing with this lens. my camera freaks out, especially in low light situations.

i'm thinking about upgrading my camera at some point this year... i'm wondering how much that would help with this situation?

Don't forget at the long end of the zoom, you should be looking at a shutter speed of higher than 1/350 (200 x 1.5 crop factor)

Other wise the slight movements in you hand will be magnified at the end and produce your blurry shots.

Hmm, I don't know what to tell you, iggbees. Possibly you got a bad copy? I was always happy with mine. A fair number of the shots from my 1/07 trip were taken with it (everything longer than 50mm) and I think they stand up fairly well. AF in general is definitely better on the newer bodies, but it should still do OK on your camera.

If buying a K-x and after such a thing, the way to go is the two-lens kit - at Amazon, getting a 55-300mm only adds on about $100! That lens is generally rated as being a little better than the 50-200mm and better than a fairly cheap big-zoom kit-type lens has any right to be.

The downside is that you can only get the two-lens kit in black. We almost bought one of those and the red one with the plan of reselling the new black K-x at a slight discount to get the 55-300 for relatively cheap, but we decided to skip it for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter