Pets from Canada (YYZ) to Orlando

seema

Mouseketeer
Any have any experience going with pets from Toronto (or any other Canadian airport) by plane (in our case on Air Canada) to Orlando and back?
I would appreciate the comments on the travel experience between the 2 countries and the experience with your pet in Orlando- I know that the major theme parks do not allow pets.

Our timeshare resort does allow pets for a fee.
Our car rental company does allow pets for a fee.

I haven't actually done it but did a lot of research last year on this subject....oddly right around this time. I figured that I would need to take the dog down to visit my DD at some point while she was away working. Didn't end up happening but might this winter. Anyway, the biggest issue for me is the airline rules. The dog would have to be able to fit in, an approved, carrier under the seat and must stay there for the duration of the flight. While my dog barely meets the weight limit I am not certain that she would fit under the seat. She's kind of an odd shape.....think along the lines of a Corgi. There is no way I would take her flying in cargo. You do have to book in advance and there is a limit to the number of animals on a flight. The pet carrier counts as your carry on. You are only allowed a personal item and that is subject to gate checking....I honestly don't see them actually gate checking it though unless you had a giant backpack. Other things like vaccinations and documentation is not a big deal. I did wonder if there were issues with rental cars but never looked into that. Hotels are super easy to find ones that allow pets. One thing to note about hotels is that they have rules about whether or not you can leave the pets unattended...some do not allow it at all. They always charge a fee, some a flat fee and others are a nightly fee. Many require a large credit card hold to cover any possible clean up.

ETA...different airlines have different rules. They are all pretty similar but the main variable I found was the weight limit.

One thing to note about hotels is that they have rules about whether or not you can leave the pets unattended...some do not allow it at all.
Just some thoughts (I used to travel with a small dog for my work). First, most dogs will be extra stressed by flying and take a day or two to adjust after arrival. I would only leave a dog in the hotel who is very laid back, and a non barker. Otherwise the hotel/timeshare may call you to return and require you check out! If leaving the dog in the room it should be crated in a familiar crate with familiar pad and probably a familiar cover so it feels more like home. This means the dog should closed in the crate during the day at home for a week or more before your trip to get used to it. The hotel will already sound and smell unfamiliar In spite of that. Note the crate might get hot if the hotel air shuts off when you leave (many do that now). Obviously, someone will need to return to take the dog out a few times per day. I personally found bringing a dog on theme park trips was unfair to them since we were gone most of each day, but if someone in your party is willing to skip the parks each day that works.

I have many times. Even once a cat. Just have the animals papers in order. Air Canada has been the most difficult to deal with but if you just put up with them it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter