Photo printer

I have been singing the praises of Epson since I got my R1800.

However... the ink tank issue that was mentioned. There was a class action law suit against Epson over this and anyone who was a part of it got a credit to buy like 2 new tanks of ink. What Epson did to correct it was to update the drivers so that you can print after the printer says it's low on ink.

Now, I love my R1800 when it's working properly. When it works it's got outstanding print quality. But at present time I cannot get that quality because I'm having horrid banding problems and I've done everything I know (and then a few other things others suggested) to correct the problem. The printer is 5 years old.

So great quality on that line, but I'm not so sure about the longevity at this point. Then again, I am annoyed because I can't print right now.

If you've had an Epson for five years, you've been living on borrowed time!!

Another Epson guy. I have Epson 1400's. A pair. I always use Epson Paper and Ink.

I got them from Staples for $149 each (printers were $199 and extra $50 for trading in an old printer). I see them refurbished for $150 all the time, you can pick them up under $200 new if you look around or wait for a deal.

Epson runs deals through their website too. If you get an epson, sign up on their web site. They sold photo paper about a month ago for half price!!! I bought $500 worth (about a year's supply for me). I store it in the cold, dry basement.

Also, if you are printing from Lightroom or anther program that can use a printing profile, the epson profiles are awsome!!! but you need to remember to turn off color correction in the driver when you print from these programs or you'll correct your color twice :)

Paper really matters too. I print a lot of Luster 8.5x11 prints and LOVE them - their are other paper as good as the Epson paper, but stay away from the generics!

I currently have an HP Photosmart, and I'm about to toss it out the window. In fact, this is the 2nd one that I've purchased that has non-stop problems feeding photo paper.

Can someone recommend a good, reliable photo printer? I'd be willing to spend extra for a printer that wouldn't cause the headaches that I'm experiencing now.

are you sure it's not the paper, I have an HP photosmart printer that has been working flawlessly for close to 8-10 years

are you sure it's not the paper, I have an HP photosmart printer that has been working flawlessly for close to 8-10 years

My mother has an HP that she's had for about 6 years, that still works perfectly. I think the difference is that mom's was about $350, and we paid about $130 for ours. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for", and could now kick myself for buying the more inexpensive model.

Also, I've read some things on the 'net that make me believe that HP has had ongoing issues with paper (plain or photo) failing to feed properly. With mine, it sounds like the printer cannot 'grab' the paper, especially photo paper. And it's HP photo paper, which makes it even more frustrating!

I understand you get what you pay for, but unless amazon is pulling up the wrong one - I'm showing the iPF6300 at $3282.03. I would have to be printing lots and lots of large format photos before spending that much on a photo printer - especially with a place like White House Custom Color (www.whcc.com) out there.

The R1900 is expensive, but only $399.

I'm not sure they are still there, but you could get the iPF6300 with a $700 rebate and a second set of inks (which is worth several hundred more dollars). I got mine from Shades of Paper (a great company for printers, papers, and printing supplies) for less than $3,000.

It's probably a bit much for someone replacing a $130 printer, but it is a really nice printer for the price.

Another vote for the Epson 710.

Where are you guys getting your ink for the 710? Online? In stores its around 60-70$

Also, anyone know how to turn off that annoying "Ink Low" message- I know that most of the cartridges have ink left.

I hate to be rude but you get what you pay for. You want a printer to work you must pay for a good one. If you want to keep spending on useless printer that dont work then buy a cheap one. I know price is always a issue

I have an Epson Pro 3800 (Was almost 2500 when I bought mine. Now on eBay sub-500 :( ). I agree. I also have an old Canon DS810 throw-away at the kitchen table for quick and dirty 4x6's when I really don't care. I have several others too but my point is that the Epson Pro is my workhorse and I'm not even a professional photographer (not by any stretch! LOL).

You get what you pay for.

I have had the Epson Artisan 800 for well over a year. No complaints...and it prints on printable CD/DVDs, which are available for a reasonable price at Sam's Club. I would buy another Epson in heartbeat if I needed to.

I hate to be rude but you get what you pay for. You want a printer to work you must pay for a good one. If you want to keep spending on useless printer that dont work then buy a cheap one. I know price is always a issue

I do not agree with your comment. Just because something costs more does not make it better. You can get a very nice photo printer without breaking the bank. Also you need to factor in how many prints you print, size, etc. I have a nice Canon printer I got on sale for about 100.00 and it does a nice job. It is not the fastest, but the color output is very nice.

I do not agree with your comment. Just because something costs more does not make it better. You can get a very nice photo printer without breaking the bank. Also you need to factor in how many prints you print, size, etc. I have a nice Canon printer I got on sale for about 100.00 and it does a nice job. It is not the fastest, but the color output is very nice.

I agree. My Epson Artisan was fairly cheap and prints awesome photos!

I agree. My Epson Artisan was fairly cheap and prints awesome photos!

I agree somewhat. Many inexpensive printers (especially < $50), have VERY high ink costs though. Then again, higher end printers also have high ink costs, my 1400 costs $120 for a set of inks and I know of friends who spend $50 per cartidge for ink for their bad-boy printers.

But I do think if you are buying a printer, you need to look at your ink costs.

I have been singing the praises of Epson since I got my R1800.

However... the ink tank issue that was mentioned. There was a class action law suit against Epson over this and anyone who was a part of it got a credit to buy like 2 new tanks of ink. What Epson did to correct it was to update the drivers so that you can print after the printer says it's low on ink.

Now, I love my R1800 when it's working properly. When it works it's got outstanding print quality. But at present time I cannot get that quality because I'm having horrid banding problems and I've done everything I know (and then a few other things others suggested) to correct the problem. The printer is 5 years old.

So great quality on that line, but I'm not so sure about the longevity at this point. Then again, I am annoyed because I can't print right now.

I have an R1800 that is about 5 yrs old as well and I'm having the same banding problem. I think its just time to buy a new printer. These things aren't built to last. That sucks, but that is just the way it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter