Pictures of AKV construction?

jbrowna

DVC owner and proud CM parent
We've seen all sorts of pictures of the destruction of the Contemporary North Wing (thanks!), but I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of the construction going on for the Animal Kingdom Villas? :confused3

With most of the current construction focusing on the changeover to the existing lodge, there may not be much to see. Still, the first phase is scheduled to be completed in September, so I would think there might be something to see. And with the new Kidani building opening in 2009, there ought to be some ground preparation work to peak at.

Anybody been there lately and seen anything?

I've been thinking this too, and we will plan to visit next month and take a few photos if we can see anything.

We've seen all sorts of pictures of the destruction of the Contemporary North Wing (thanks!), but I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of the construction going on for the Animal Kingdom Villas? :confused3

With most of the current construction focusing on the changeover to the existing lodge, there may not be much to see. Still, the first phase is scheduled to be completed in September, so I would think there might be something to see. And with the new Kidani building opening in 2009, there ought to be some ground preparation work to peak at.

Anybody been there lately and seen anything?
The one savanah (sunset?) that is between where the AKL and the AKV will be didn't have any animals in there last month (they have the one lookout to the right of the check in), but we couldn't see anything off in the distance that looked like work.

DH & I will be dining at Jiko next Sat. night. If we get to AKL early enough, we'll take a look around. Hopefully I will remember to bring the camera.

Denise ( NBodyHome) says she'll be there tomorrow and will be taking pics of the AKL construction. She does some great photo tours of the resorts, so maybe she'll post them soon. Here's the link where she was discussing this same topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1419588

Can't wait to see them!~

~DW:3dglasses

DH & I will be dining at Jiko next Sat. night. If we get to AKL early enough, we'll take a look around. Hopefully I will remember to bring the camera.

Hey, we'll be at Jiko's, too, next Saturday night! We fly in that day and Jiko's is our favorite restaurant.

Hi!

You are welcome - there really wasn't a lot to see yet, I finally found some dirt piles off of the Kudu trail (though I had to take the pics out a hallway window). I would have loved to have asked someone to borrow their balcony. :) I'd been asked Friday night (by someone on the boards) if I could take and post some pics - I happened to be down at Disney yesterday so I did.

I have some Contemporary dirt pictures too! :)

I was told by a cast member that sometimes it gets pretty loud during the day. There was no noise at all when I was there.

(and thanks DW, the walks are fun for me!)

Did the Contemporary dirt look at all like the AKV dirt? I mean did it look at all, I don't know, DVCish?

Yes, I could actually tell that THIS dirt was made specifically for the DVC buildings. (That is the best kept secret, right? The special dirt they use for the ground under the buildings!)

I was actually surprised the Contemporary was as far along as it was, as far as pretty much NOTHING being there anymore. I'd not seen pics or been over there for a while.

I am here now, the Zebra trail is blocked off by a new wall and a locked door from the lobby entrance to it on the 5th floor. There was a large crane outside the building near the lobby on the savannah side yesterday lifting things from the ground to the roof. I went down to the end of the Kudu trail on the 4th floor, went outside to the stairway on the left and you can see a new building going up (looks to be maybe 10 yards away). It does look like the other animal barn, but if you look at the cleared ground that goes off away from it, it is in the shape of the new building. Also off in the distance you can see other contruction going up.

I did take a stairway up to the 5th floor, disregarding all the "no public access/hardhat required signs" and it's a mess up there. This was about halfway down the trail, plywood covering the walls ( I assume to prevent damage). I saw room doors that had been sheet rocked over, other than that it was quiet up there. I would assume that any units that will be ready for July are going to be near the lobby so that they can block off the other end of the trail and continue contstruction.

I'll head on back and see if I can get some pictures of contstrucion out on the savannah.

You probably shouldn't be posting online that you are going through access areas that say not for guests. :) (not until AFTER you get the pics!)

I haven't been there to take more in a few weeks, I wasn't sure how much would even be done yet. Plus I was in Europe for a week and a half. :)

I did take a stairway up to the 5th floor, disregarding all the "no public access/hardhat required signs" and it's a mess up there. This was about halfway down the trail, plywood covering the walls ( I assume to prevent damage). I saw room doors that had been sheet rocked over, other than that it was quiet up there. I would assume that any units that will be ready for July are going to be near the lobby so that they can block off the other end of the trail and continue contstruction.
I think Disney is missing out on a money making opportunity here. They could be offering tours of the construction area to small groups during off hours. For $25 per person, they could issue hard hats and walk everyone down the hallway, giving you 10-15 minutes to look around and take all the photos you want.

I think Disney is missing out on a money making opportunity here. They could be offering tours of the construction area to small groups during off hours. For $25 per person, they could issue hard hats and walk everyone down the hallway, giving you 10-15 minutes to look around and take all the photos you want.

LisaS: when I first toured OKW, the resort wasn't yet open, and I DID have to wear a hardhat to walk thru the construction area to see the models. (They didn't charge me $25 though!)

LisaS: when I first toured OKW, the resort wasn't yet open, and I DID have to wear a hardhat to walk thru the construction area to see the models. (They didn't charge me $25 though!)
Cool! We stopped by AKL last week and I would have been happy to pay to take a tour around the 5th floor construction site. It would be interesting to see how things are progressing. Of course for $25, I would expect the hardhat to have an AKV logo on it and be allowed to keep it as a souvenir!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter