Pirates in Panama!!! (Sept. '13 EB Panama Canal + DL)

fltink

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!!!!
Only 66 days until we depart?!?!? Uh-oh! Time to fire up the Trip Report!

Welcome, welcome, one and all! Please join me, as I freak out, planning for our 14 night Panama Canal Cruise and my first EVER trip to Disneyland! (The more the merrier!)

A little background....

My name is Jenn. I am an ex-Disney Cast Member of 13 years, who now works as a private travel agent in Boston and is now, and will eternally be, TOTALLY obsessed with all things Disney. I have been on 11 Disney Cruises but this will be my first one over 7 nights! It's going to seem like a dream, or a "Wonder", I guess.

I am traveling with my husband, Jay, who works with me and is fairly equally Disney obsessed, (though few people are quite as... shall we say "dedicated" to Disney as I am. I am sure since you are on the DIS Boards, you can relate!).

Jay and I actually met on a DCL trip back in April of 2003. We fell in love and then got married on another DCL trip in September of 2005. Since then, we have celebrated 3 different anniversaries onboard and this time we will be celebrating 8 years!

We usually travel in a herd, with various family members and friends, but this time it's just us. Holy cow! JUST US....for a 17 night vacation! Woo-hoo!!!!!

We booked this trip just a few weeks back, in late May, using our awesome Travel Agent deal. And we figured, since we are going to the West Coast, may as well do our FIRST TRIP EVER TO DISNEYLAND!!! I know, right? Totally sacrilegious that I have never been! I cannot WAIT to walk where Walt once walked and dreamed! We will be staying at Paradise Pier, starting on September 11th, and staying until the morning of the cruise, on the 14th.

We got great flights on Jetblue, from Boston to Long Beach, and Galveston to Boston, all for about $300 per person. We are planning on doing a private transfer from the airport to DL, and DL to the port, as well as a private transfer from the port in Texas to the airport.

We are booked in a Cat. 9 GTY, so I am eagerly anticipating getting a cabin number. We honestly don't care WHERE we are on the ship, but it's always fun to get your GTY cabin number! (Fingers crossed for an upgrade!)

As for Disneyland, we don't have any major plans, other than to hit DL and DCA, and see absolutely everything in two days, including Haunted Mansion Holiday. Oh, and we do have a reservation to keep....at CLUB 33!!! Whaaaaaatttt???? Yep, you read right! We have AWESOME friends, (whom we ALSO met on a DCL trip), that live in the LA area and have some sweet hook ups. As long as we get the green light later this month, we will be dining at Club 33! (Talk about making a trip hard to top!)

As for the cruise, no major plans there either. We are not usually excursion people. We tend to be "hang-out" people, hence why we are so psyched about 7 nights at sea! We will for sure get off the ship in each port, but we will most likely go off on our own and come back to the ship whenever we are done.

I did make Palo brunch and dinner reservations, and we are hoping to see our friend, Sasha, whom we adore. I have heard from those on the Alaskan trips that he is, in fact, on board and should be through our cruise, so here's hoping. It's strange for us to be on the Wonder. We have a LOT of crew member friends on the Magic and some on the Dream and Fantasy, but very few on the Wonder. The Magic will always be special, since Jay and I met and got married on it, but I do have to say, I like the lobby, Triton's and Route 66 much better than Lumiere's and Beat Street.

I loooove planning for Disney Cruises, so as always, I went nuts and made a super detailed spreadsheet of which nights were which menus/dress code/shows/ports, etc. From that, I requested PTA as the dining rotation, so that we get Triton's for most formal meals, and Parrot Cay for Pirate night.

So now, we are in countdown mode. I believe everything is planned out that needs to be. I'm just waiting for the trip to get a little closer to get more details from DCL about which movies will be showing onboard and whether or not they plan on having any "special guests" on our cruise, like they have had Susan Egan, Don "Ducky" Williams, etc., in the past.

If anyone is traveling with us and wants to see my spread sheet or any of the menus, let me know...I can hook you up!

And if anyone has done the PC before and has tips or "must do's" in the ports, feel free to share!

A pre-trip report for our cruise!!!! I'm traveling with you...well, not "with" you but on the cruise :)

When I contacted DCL at beginning of June they were unable to give info about the Captain or special guests - they told me to refer to the Navigator once on board !!

I'll be following along...getting excited but still feeling like I shouldn't wish away the summer (although all it has been doing is raining)!! We'll be arriving in CA on Friday the 13th :worried: We may make the spur of the moment decision to head to Disneyland. We've heard that the park may be open until 1:00 a.m. for the previously announced Unleash the Villains: A Friday the 13th....not sure how crazy busy it may be and if it would be worth it. If we don't do that we'll just relax around the pool at hotel.

Looking forward to reading along!!

Linda

In an interesting turn of events, we aren't sure if we are cruising or not, but for a FANTASTIC reason! My husband and I have been trying to adopt for years now, and we just found out last week that we got a placement! My 11 month old son moved in TODAY and his 4 1/2 year old sister moves in next week!!!!! (Holy cow, right????) Since we were waiting to here from the state on possible adoption placements, we DID take the Travel Protection, knowing there was a SLIGHT possibility we may get a call.....little did we know!

So, now we aren't sure what we are doing. The kids' social worker said she can absolutely get them passports and we can take them on the cruise if we want to, but it'll all depend on how everyone adjusts. Two weeks is a Loooooong time to be on a ship if the baby decides he's going to scream the whole time! We will just have to see how these next few weeks go.

In the mean time......eeeeeekkkkkk!!!!

It's starting to look like we will be onboard, WITH the two new kiddos that we just had placed with us for adoption! The only thing that needs to be done, is we need to get their passports done and make sure that if we pay all the expediting fees, they will be done on time. As long as we can do that, we are IN!

Wow! Talk about setting a VERY high bar for ourselves with these kids in terms of vacation! They will have been with us a month and a half, and we will be visiting Disneyland AND going on a 14 night Disney Cruise. Their little minds may be blown! Let's just hope that they don't expect this to be the way vacation ALWAYS is! :o)

I'm following because I'm interested in hearing the perspective of a former CM! popcorn::

It's starting to look like we will be onboard, WITH the two new kiddos that we just had placed with us for adoption! The only thing that needs to be done, is we need to get their passports done and make sure that if we pay all the expediting fees, they will be done on time. As long as we can do that, we are IN!

Wow! Talk about setting a VERY high bar for ourselves with these kids in terms of vacation! They will have been with us a month and a half, and we will be visiting Disneyland AND going on a 14 night Disney Cruise. Their little minds may be blown! Let's just hope that they don't expect this to be the way vacation ALWAYS is! :o)

I'm here because we are considering the 9/14 Panama cruise as a honeymoon. I just wanted to say your post gave me tears in my eyes and a warm feeling! Congratulations. I have fertility issues and will likely be adopting and I just imagined myself in your position and it felt really nice.

So, congrats, again, and I hope to stalk your trip report a little more post-cruise to see if this would be a good fit for my fiance and I next year.

Been there! We tried for kids for years, to no avail. I think that we always knew our kids would find US when the time was right. Now I have my very own little Princess Tiana, and her sweet munchkin of a baby brother!

Getting SO excited thinking about all the firsts our kids will have on this trip! In fact, they are already having them! We just ordered their first passports! They will get their first plane ride, first time in a Disney park, first time seeing fireworks, first time seeing Disney characters in person, first time on a ship.... The list goes on and on! We are so excited!!!!!!

I read your report because we did the EBPC in 2012. It was the most perfect vacation I ever did! You will have a great trip! Congratulations on your children, too! What a great blessing.

Well, the mailman was, by far, my favorite person today! He brought our kids' passports! We are all set and ready to go! Well, not really.... Since we didn't know for sure that we were going until those passports arrived, I haven't done a thing to get the four of us packed or to make our transfer arrangements. I guess I better get a'workin! We leave a week from tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here we are, three days before we leave and what do I have done? Not a whole lot. I have the kids' clothes picked out, and piled, but they still need to be ironed and packed. I haven't started my stuff at ALL and since my husband is working right up until three hours before we leave, his packing isn't done either. Oh man.... looks like some sleepless nights headed our way!

Our daughter is super excited about Disneyland and "Mickey's Ship", though at four, and having never had any of her previous foster families take her on vacation, she seems confused by a lot of it. When I explained to her that Mommy, Daddy, her and her brother will all be in one stateroom on the ship, she said, "We get to SLEEP there????" Her mind will be blown.

I feel very bad for my husband that he now has to miss out on Club 33, since when we planned this trip, it was just the two of us and our friends, (who are AWESOME), got us into the Club. Now he has to stay with the kids. Mind you, he'll have a BLAST with the kids, but I still wish he could join me. I appreciate that he decided to let me be the one to go, since it'll like a dream come true for me!

We are also trying to cancel our Paradise Pier res, since I got a WAY better rate at a nearby Marriott with my Travel Agent Discount, and it will save us a fortune. That's another thing that has changed this trip a lot... going from two people, to four, has made it MUCH more expensive!!! But it will be all the more MAGICAL!

Well, I better get to work. Any free moments I have where at least one kid isn't screaming, peeing, or needing to eat need to be put to use!

Aaaaaand to further complicate things, my husband was rushed to the hospital today and admitted. Since we have a flight at 5pm tomorrow, we have our fingers crossed that tests go well in the morning and they'll release him... Early, since he hasn't packed yet. I should be surprised. EVERY time we go away, there is always some major drama before hand. One year, when we cruise in January, our pipes froze and burst. I hope that, as it has in the past, our troubles are over before its time to start the trip!

Well, sorry to keep anyone in suspense! With all the chaos, I realized I never got to update you again!

We made it on the trip! My husband was released from the hospital riiiiiight before we needed to leave for the airport, but we made it. We, in fact, are still in Texas and spending one night here decompressing before we head home to Boston tomorrow.

The trip was fantastic and we met a ton of great and wonderfully supportive people. I'm going to try starting a Trip Report ASAP, but with he two little ones, it may be a bit of a challenge!

Subbing! I'm anxious to read your report. We are hoping to do this cruise in 2015 with kids close in age to yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter