Places to order groceries from

moab44

Earning My Ears
If you buy groceries for your hotel room, where do you buy them from?
We have used Garden Grocer many times.

If you buy groceries for your hotel room, where do you buy them from?
We have used Garden Grocer many times.
Walmart. Great prices. Great selection. Used Garden Grocer before pandemic but now much more expensive and less selection from Walmart. The delivery fee from Walmart was $9.99 earlier this month when I ordered.

I used Instacart for a long time, but recently switched to Walmart. They have better prices on most everything and have greatly improved their selection of fresh foods. If you have Walmart+, delivery is free.

We used Walmart as well the past 2 trips. We didn't have any issues with the quality of fresh produce or meat. I put in the delivery instructions to package and label freezer items and fridge items and to leave at bell services and we had no problem with that either.

They will also deliver alcohol but you need to be present for delivery if there is alcohol as you need to show ID.

You can sign up for Walmart + for a 30 day free trial and get free delivery. We opted to pay for it the last trip (then cancel when we got home) as we knew we'd do more than one order and there were more options for same day delivery.

I did the order from my laptop or phone on the actual walmart site. I wasn't able to download the app - it kept reverting back to the Canadian site. Not sure if that was just me or my phone, but just fyi in case you try the app and it doesn't work.

word of caution is needed here - disney is transitioning to having only beverage coolers in the hotel rooms that have a sticker stating they don't go below 41°F. if you get an older model of those it won't even get your bottle drinks much below room temp. I deal will a lot of dietary restrictions and need to have food in the room so I always do a test run before actually using it. Put some milk in a glass and after 2 hours the temp was sitting at 52° f well above the danger zone for food. I placed an emergency order with a personal shopper I found thru a Facebook group to get us a Styrofoam cooler the next day and that's how we're dealing with things. We keep a bucket full of ice and a bunch of coffee cups full of ice in the "fridge"to keep that thing safe enough for our water bottles and food that is better cool but that won't spoil either. We need to top up the ice in the cooler twice a day but it's working.

just a heads-up before you order a full week's worth of perishable food to cut on costs.

word of caution is needed here - disney is transitioning to having only beverage coolers in the hotel rooms that have a sticker stating they don't go below 41°F. if you get an older model of those it won't even get your bottle drinks much below room temp. I deal will a lot of dietary restrictions and need to have food in the room so I always do a test run before actually using it. Put some milk in a glass and after 2 hours the temp was sitting at 52° f well above the danger zone for food. I placed an emergency order with a personal shopper I found thru a Facebook group to get us a Styrofoam cooler the next day and that's how we're dealing with things. We keep a bucket full of ice and a bunch of coffee cups full of ice in the "fridge"to keep that thing safe enough for our water bottles and food that is better cool but that won't spoil either. We need to top up the ice in the cooler twice a day but it's working.

just a heads-up before you order a full week's worth of perishable food to cut on costs.
Does anyone know if there an updated list somewhere of the hotels that have so far transitioned? We are staying at Art of Animation in April and last I heard (a few months ago) they still had a proper mini fridge... Would be nice to have a list start if there isn't one.
We also plan to use Walmart delivery for the first time this trip (traveling with DS7 and DS2). Was hoping to buy milk for DS2, but if there is no mini fridge, that will be the first thing off the list.

I kept Fairlife Milk in the “cooler” fridge with no issue on my last trip. We had protein snacks and what not. Just small items to keep on hand. I’ve used Amazon Fresh in the past. Might give Walmart a try next week.

I tried ordering from Walmart in the past but it didn’t seem to work with a Canadian credit card…
Has anyone had positive experiences recently or ways to work around that?

We have used Vacation Grocery Delivery for the past four trips, using them this coming April as well. Descent price for items, other then the exchange right from CDN to USD is not great.

To poster above about the Fridge situation, check out the Facebook group for the resort. Lots of posts about the Fridge. We were at Pop last april and the label about the 41f temp was on the fridge in that room.

We have used Vacation Grocery Delivery for the past four trips, using them this coming April as well. Descent price for items, other then the exchange right from CDN to USD is not great.

To poster above about the Fridge situation, check out the Facebook group for the resort. Lots of posts about the Fridge. We were at Pop last april and the label about the 41f temp was on the fridge in that room.
That's me - used the same group for our shopping because they actually have some shoppers who were trained under Disney's allergies protocols so I can trust them to read labels and send me pictures to confirm. The fridge issues are annoying but manageable now that we don't have as much to keep cold. The carton of milk did NOT appreciate sitting in a water bath and got really unstable by the time it was empty :P

Currently we have an ice bucket full with the cream in that and a bunch of coffee cups filled with ice scattered in the fridge, Super glad I tossed an instant read thermometer in my carry-on bag at the last minute. Also helps that the chefs in the food court are familiar with my laundry list of restrictions and all the cast members recognize me now so I'm able to get safe things to eat without staying in the room.

The carton of milk did NOT appreciate sitting in a water bath and got really unstable by the time it was empty :P
Good point, we will order (lactose free) milk in a plastic container for the first few nights (and add ice bags around it) and some shelf stable milk for the rest of the stay. We can always transfer to the plastic container once opened.

It is kind of sad, if Disney was changing the fridge to beverage cooler to be more eco friendly, well all those styrofoam coolers will negate the effort. If it was to save a few cents and avoid lawsuits or complaints then, I am not sure that it is a good customer pleasing strategy in the long term. The number of people with medical needs for a fridge will only increase.

For runners, Disney won’t be able to sell breakfast boxes the night before their races. Are they willing to have the foodcourt opened from 1AM to 3:30AM?

Good point, we will order (lactose free) milk in a plastic container for the first few nights (and add ice bags around it) and some shelf stable milk for the rest of the stay. We can always transfer to the plastic container once opened.
that's the kind of milk i drink! I went with the extra protein stuff to supplement the expectation of poor meals and here it's only in cartons. I suggest to go ahead and order as much as you would normally get and leave things that are unopened with bell services to keep in their industrial fridge/freezer. They are more than willing to help out with that, before we got the Styrofoam cooler (which has now sprung a small leak somewhere 🙄) i was heading there with a sippy cup in hand a couple of times a day (yes, I'm an adult but i found an insulated no- leak one that doesn't scream BABY) they didn't bat an eye. I'll take some pictures later if what our fridge looks like now - it's been a perfect work around ever since we had less to keep cold.

Even in the "normal" mini fridge, when we first got to room, if it was turned off and we had groceries, I'd stash the food, then put in bags of ice (double bagged) for several hours for the fridge to catch up.

Last time we ordered walmart was almost a year ago. I was very frustrated with them. Ordered say 5 oz paper cups, none in stock and no subs were offered. So there was no other disposable cups in the store? I'd end up making three orders in four days, to get all the stuff we wanted for the two week stay. (This was a 1 bedroom DVC, not 2 weeks of food in a mini fridge)

Walmart got all the complicated things in our order and missed out completely on water, apples and bananas 🤷🏻‍♀️

I think Walmart is the easiest with the best prices. Just put your order in the day before and its only a $10 delivery fee.

We previously relied on Amazon Fresh, but found it becoming pricier with a reduced variety of options. Our recent experience with Walmart was satisfactory, and we plan to stick with them due to their competitive pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter