• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning First Trip to DLP

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
Party will be 4 adults. Looking at next year travel (which I can’t book yet for dates we can go).

From what I can gather, weather looks most favorable July, August and September with maybe less crowds end of August into September.

I think we are leaning toward either Hotel Santa Fe or Hotel Cheyenne. I would love to book Davy Crockett Ranch just for the extra space and second bathroom with 4 adults…….but it seems there is no transportation from there to the parks.

We are traveling from the US and have traveled some internationally but have never driven internationally.

The plan was to fly into Paris and take the train. But now I’m wondering how bad renting a car and driving would be. ***we would like to also visit Paris, Versailles and maybe Mont Saint Michel while in France. So that is also a consideration in what is going to be the easiest and most economical choice for transit.

Any advice, thoughts, tips and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Cristy

If the rates are the same, I'd pick the Cheyenne over Santa Fe... just a touch more convenient (plus I like the theming better).

you can do all of Paris, DLP and Versailles by train pretty easy... I'm sure you can do Mont San Michel as well, but I might like a car for that trip.

What do you consider 'favourable weather'? I would go for September for sure. Because... hotels in Europe in no way have the same air conditioning as the US. 😉 you can be lucky and get some cooler summer weather. You can also be unlucky and then come back complaining because you couldn't cool your room to the right temperature.

Check when school is back on session on 2 September in 2024, so go after that, during the week and you will have low(er) crowds and more agreeable weather

Although there is an increased chance of rain and autum weather in September, last few years we have also had very weird Summers with outright downpours. With weather you have to be lucky.

With 4 people, and the places you want to visit, go with the car. Yes, of course you have to prepare for some specifics to the French roads (there are some toll routes, look into that) and insurance etc., but I am sure once you are on the road you will adjust to the traffic quick enough. You drive also on the right side of the road, so it will be easier than driving in the UK :)

I would plan that you either go to Paris first and then pick up the car to do DLP and Versailles and Mont St.Michel etc. Or end with Paris and hand in the car before going into Paris (or find a place to return the car in the city). Driving in Paris itself is crazy and I would not recommend it to anyone.

What do you consider 'favourable weather'? I would go for September for sure. Because... hotels in Europe in no way have the same air conditioning as the US. 😉 you can be lucky and get some cooler summer weather. You can also be unlucky and then come back complaining because you couldn't cool your room to the right temperature.

Check when school is back on session on 2 September in 2024, so go after that, during the week and you will have low(er) crowds and more agreeable weather

Although there is an increased chance of rain and autum weather in September, last few years we have also had very weird Summers with outright downpours. With weather you have to be lucky.

With 4 people, and the places you want to visit, go with the car. Yes, of course you have to prepare for some specifics to the French roads (there are some toll routes, look into that) and insurance etc., but I am sure once you are on the road you will adjust to the traffic quick enough. You drive also on the right side of the road, so it will be easier than driving in the UK :)

I would plan that you either go to Paris first and then pick up the car to do DLP and Versailles and Mont St.Michel etc. Or end with Paris and hand in the car before going into Paris (or find a place to return the car in the city). Driving in Paris itself is crazy and I would not recommend it to anyone.
Summer here in Tennessee is pushing 95-100F, so anything cooler than that is good but I don’t want to be cold. Thanks for info about school, that helps tremendously.

How bad is traffic outside Paris (you are correct, I don’t want to drive in the city itself)? We did a car when visiting Disney California and I thought traffic in Los Angeles would be a nightmare but I really didn’t find it that bad.

If the rates are the same, I'd pick the Cheyenne over Santa Fe... just a touch more convenient (plus I like the theming better).

you can do all of Paris, DLP and Versailles by train pretty easy... I'm sure you can do Mont San Michel as well, but I might like a car for that trip.
Thank you! I’m going to see if I can find some videos of the resorts and look a little closer at each.

Just a heads up that the Olympics will be happening in Paris from Fri, Jul 26, 2024 – Sun, Aug 11, 2024, so if I were you I would definitely stick to visiting end of August into September to avoid extra crowds in Paris.

Summer here in Tennessee is pushing 95-100F, so anything cooler than that is good but I don’t want to be cold. Thanks for info about school, that helps tremendously.

How bad is traffic outside Paris (you are correct, I don’t want to drive in the city itself)? We did a car when visiting Disney California and I thought traffic in Los Angeles would be a nightmare but I really didn’t find it that bad.
But how good are you in these temperatures if you have to be in it 24/7 without AC? Summer in France can be 90-100 degrees. The later in Summer, the higher chances of cooler weather.

Cold is also relative :) for me 80s is perfect, but I am not bothered by doing a park in 40s. It is not going to 40s in early September, but to compare.

But how good are you in these temperatures if you have to be in it 24/7 without AC? Summer in France can be 90-100 degrees. The later in Summer, the higher chances of cooler weather.

Cold is also relative :) for me 80s is perfect, but I am not bothered by doing a park in 40s. It is not going to 40s in early September, but to compare.
😊 I’m a summer person. We have done Disney FL in June, July & August. I appreciate the info though - I did not realize it would get that hot in Paris.

Just a heads up that the Olympics will be happening in Paris from Fri, Jul 26, 2024 – Sun, Aug 11, 2024, so if I were you I would definitely stick to visiting end of August into September to avoid extra crowds in Paris.
Thanks for the reminder. I had noted that a while back and then completely forgot.

Having no AC when travelling to DLP in Summer / hot weather is the number 1 complaint from Americans. So, just can't emphasize it enough 😀

Number 2 complaint is probably that we have hotels and not resorts / the rooms are too small / the mattresses are too hard.

Trying to think what i would put at nr. 3... maybe not being able to book less park days then days you are onsite.

Having no AC when travelling to DLP in Summer / hot weather is the number 1 complaint from Americans. So, just can't emphasize it enough 😀

Number 2 complaint is probably that we have hotels and not resorts / the rooms are too small / the mattresses are too hard.

Trying to think what i would put at nr. 3... maybe not being able to book less park days then days you are onsite.
Just got back from a late June trip to DLP - stayed at Newport Bay. As Americans I can agree that we noticed all of these - we had a fabulous time and I wouldn’t call them complaints, but the AC felt like it was set to about 80F, the beds were harder than we expected, but our one complaint would be the glass half panel thing in the bathroom, our family just never got the knack of being able to shower and keep the bathroom dry. Not a huge deal, but I’ll do some research before we return.

Since you mentioned not liking cold, I thought I would say that even though it was very warm (above 80F) every day. One evening we had a brief rain shower, and afterwards it was chilly for the rest of the night. We changed into long pants and sweatshirts and were comfortable during the evening. The drone show and fireworks are at 11pm during the summer, so you may want to consider bringing a light jacket or something for evenings if the weather dips.

It's doable, but I don't think the DLP hotels are a good base if the focus of your trip is exploring Paris and the rest of France.
It's 45 minutes by RER to go to the city center, Plus the time to get to the station from the hotel (say 20 minutes) plus the time to wait for the next train etc. 3 hours of commute daily get annoying pretty soon. Also, add 40 more minutes to get, for example, to Versailles.
If it's a DLP trip with 1 day or two in Paris, yes absolutely. Rather than changing hotel and having to pack and unpack twice. And the DLP hotels are expensive for what they offer (no surprise there, they're Disney hotel). Also neither Cheyenne or Santa Fe have a pool.

If I were in you, I'd do 1 week(-ish) in Paris and then transfer for 2 or 3 nights to DLP.
In addition to everything you can do and see in the city, Paris is also an excellent base for visiting the surroundings. Last week I've been to Dijon, Fontainebleau, Provins and Chartres, all by train and all very nice destinations for a day trip.
But I didn't go to Mont Saint Michel, it'is not around the corner. It's a 4 and a half hours trip each way from Paris by car (more with public transport).

As pointed out Mont St Michel is a long drive from Paris.

You Will not do it in one day .

Why ...... First you have to Drive there , then go to the parking area ...

then walk .....Could be 20 min .. to the Shuttle bus ( waiting with others ) and then a 15 min bus ride

Then join the Q to enter It is a Steep Climb up & Narrow > How long will you spend there ?

At least 2 hours And more .... then return to bus & 15 min drive to Drop off point

and walk back to car ...... You Will enjoy it .

We did the visit last year but we were staying nearby........ I will look up the Hotel

At Least

If I were in you, I'd do 1 week(-ish) in Paris and then transfer for 2 or 3 nights to DLP.
This is what we did, and it worked out really well. I may use DLP as a base for an upcoming visit but only if my exchange to the Marriott near the parks comes through.

It's doable, but I don't think the DLP hotels are a good base if the focus of your trip is exploring Paris and the rest of France.
It's 45 minutes by RER to go to the city center, Plus the time to get to the station from the hotel (say 20 minutes) plus the time to wait for the next train etc. 3 hours of commute daily get annoying pretty soon. Also, add 40 more minutes to get, for example, to Versailles.
If it's a DLP trip with 1 day or two in Paris, yes absolutely. Rather than changing hotel and having to pack and unpack twice. And the DLP hotels are expensive for what they offer (no surprise there, they're Disney hotel). Also neither Cheyenne or Santa Fe have a pool.

In addition to everything you can do and see in the city, Paris is also an excellent base for visiting the surroundings. Last week I've been to Dijon, Fontainebleau, Provins and Chartres, all by train and all very nice destinations for a day trip.
But I didn't go to Mont Saint Michel, it'is not around the corner. It's a 4 and a half hours trip each way from Paris by car (more with public transport).
We wouldn’t stay at DLP for the others parts of the trip. Looking to stay in Paris a day or two and then on to visit the others/or maybe base in Paris as you’ve stated.

As pointed out Mont St Michel is a long drive from Paris.

You Will not do it in one day .

Why ...... First you have to Drive there , then go to the parking area ...

then walk .....Could be 20 min .. to the Shuttle bus ( waiting with others ) and then a 15 min bus ride

Then join the Q to enter It is a Steep Climb up & Narrow > How long will you spend there ?

At least 2 hours And more .... then return to bus & 15 min drive to Drop off point

and walk back to car ...... You Will enjoy it .

We did the visit last year but we were staying nearby........ I will look up the Hotel

At Least
With the amount of day tours offered by touring companies from Paris, I do not agree you need to stay in the area or that it is not doable. It will be a long day for sure. But i do not think the picture is as negative as you paint it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter