Planning something special

James O'Neill

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice or suggestions to make our stay extra special.
We have just adopted a little girl (age 4 ) into our family and want to mark the occasion with something extra special.
Staying at French Quarter (standard room) end of November beginning of December (first time on Disney property) we would welcome anything you could suggest to make this visit even more memorable.
Thanks in advance

I've never done them, maybe an in-room basket? Or BBB with an adr at CRT?

Either would be good. Look up both for price and to see what's offered, then make your choice. She'll be happy with either one. And a tip, if you don't want one of their basket/containers, you don't have to pick one, just call them directly to place your order.

Thanks for the replies, certainly have been thinking about doing BBB followed by dinner at Cinderella Royal Table.

I think this would be incredibly special! The in-room celebrations are lovely, too. We did one for my DS for his 4th birthday and it was such a nice surprise when we opened the door to our room!

POFQ is a great resort choice! You might want to consider a Royal Room at POR if you aren't completely set on POFQ. The princess detailing and fireworks headboards in the royal rooms are adorable.

When you check into the resort, ask for a celebration button. The pin on button says "I'm celebrating" and then has space to write in with a marker. You could say, I'm celebrating my adoption or I'm celebrating my forever family or what ever you are comfortable with. If she wears the button, cast members will see it and interact with her about it. The button is free. They should have a marker at the check in desk. You might consider getting her an autograph book and a big sharpie. If you get one that has space for a photograph on one side and the autograph on the other page, you can put the photograph of her interacting with the character by the signature. Then after you are home from the trip, you can get out the book, and look at the pictures and talk about the trip.

When we adopted our kids (a few years apart) I packed a princess dress and various gifts in a carry on. I then went to the room ahead of DH and the girl(s) (he kept them busy in the lobby). I put the gifts on the bed and they arrived at the room a few minutes later.

Those space bags are awesome for squeezing princess dresses, bathing suits, whatever into a small amount of space. Each girl was surprised and thrilled that a special gift was waiting in the room for her.

Not sure your budget, but I think you can arrange a professional photo session on property and can even have a character there. It would definitely mark the occasion memorably.

I am not sure when going to disney stopped being special.... I think you're already giving her something really special...

Some suggestions I have that might have more impact:
- go out and let her pick out a special carry on suitcase. something that she can call hers even before you get there and come with her favorite stuffed friends for the journey to see her heros..
- now go out and get her stuff to put in it.. I think disney store sells ears and autograph books. let her get ready to go and you have a practical thing to occupy her thoughts while there as I remember going around with an autograph book younger and meeting everyone more than I remember something else we did younger at disney. I still have my autographs to think back and remember when they signed it.

Save the rest of the extra money you have for something special to be able to say yes more often to "can I get that" when it comes to treats and souvenirs.

To celebrate our daughters's adoptions (they were almost 3, adopted through foster care Sept 2016), we did a Wishes Fireworks cruise, had matching shirts that said "Superman was Adopted" (I know I know, not Disney - but my daughters are tomboys), and did lunch at Cinderella Castle (I brought them princess dresses from home).
Congrats on the adoption!

You could do a horse carriage ride. They offer horse & buggy ride at Port Orleans Riverside (It is walking distance from Port Orleans French Quarter). We did it a few years ago. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't very expensive a few years ago.

If you do CRT they have a special glass slipper you can order. We got one for DGD when we took her for her 5th birthday. You can have whatever you want engraved, though there isn't tons of space. But you could put something like We love you and her gotcha date or something like that on it. They'll deliver it as a surprise at the meal.

Something else, you said you are at FQ. You may want to look at the Royal rooms at POR instead. They are quite unique. DGD9 loved them last year. I asked her the other day where she wanted to stay for a stay she and I are taking just the two of us and she said the Royal room at first. We ended up picking a bunk bed room as she'd never stayed in one before but the Royal rooms are a lot of fun for little girls (and big girls too, I gotta admit)

Looking for advice or suggestions to make our stay extra special.
We have just adopted a little girl (age 4 ) into our family and want to mark the occasion with something extra special.
Staying at French Quarter (standard room) end of November beginning of December (first time on Disney property) we would welcome anything you could suggest to make this visit even more memorable.
Thanks in advance

There are a lot of great options, but I would be sure to select something that would appeal to her age and something that will be a memory for her, too. Something she will talk about for a while that will be appealing to her.

Dizzy Dolphin Delivery does wonderful gift baskets. You can find them on FB and also via the internet. Their prices are very reasonable and they customize according to what you want. You spend what you want and tell them some ideas of what you want and they do the rest. They are fantastic at it!!!

Princess Storybook is a great breakfast. It is not guaranteed, but if you call ahead and tell a manager, they might be able to arrange a very special meet with all of the princesses at once. Same with CRT (although the food is not so great IMO). But....dining in the castle is very, very special for a little girl.

Thanks again folks, some incredibly helpfully tips and suggestions there.
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, we have the DDP for this trip and someone told me that I can use the table service credit for character meals, is this correct ?
I'm planning to get planning as I can make ADR at the beginning off June.
Do you know of any links for anything that may be useful.

Last edited:
Thanks again fools, some incredibly helpfully this and suggestions there.
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, we have the DDP for this trip and someone told me that I can use the table service credit for character meals, is this correct ?
I'm planning to get planning as I can make ADR at the beginning off June.
Do you know of any links for anything that may be useful.
Yes, you can use dining plan credits for all meals at Disney parks and resorts, character or otherwise.
CRT is 2 credits but I believe the rest are 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter