Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

The interesting thing to see for me will be what they do with amenities. CBR has the best pool area out of all of the mods. If they are taking rooms out to put DVC in, they wouldn't need another signature pool. It's not like they are doubling resort capacity. But they have to offer DVC something extra, is a new room enough? Or a new room plus rooftop firework viewing? If they can get by with spending the least bit of CapEx, they will. The least expensive route is to not add any amenities and just lower point total per week to 60. That's only 16 less than OKW. Not too far out to tilt the scales, and it keeps the margins.

I prefer CSR and POR to CBR pool.

Okay looked at google earth to jog my memory. I still don't see Disney getting rid of Outpost and the beer garden area for this rumored entry. The logistics alone of that would be crazy. Also again due to the loading of the fireworks bridge for at least the entire morning (until about 4pm) that area is blocked by the barges. That is also where the friendship boats are stored. I just don't see even what is at international gateway fitting in the space.

Now what would seem to make sense and lockedoutlogic gave the idea would be linking to Cresent lake but my theory would be at HS not at Epcot. So yeah the water way could take you to Epcot on a very scenic long ride but the DHS route would be about the same as the other Epcot area resorts to DHS. Again it would just take a minimum of two bridges so not a cheap option either.

I do have to say I think they are going to treat the CBR DVC separate from everything else at that resort. Maybe even give it its own entrance simply because it is so different then other DVC resorts.

Maybe they are going to do away with the fireworks ? :(

I can accept arguments of "they can't enter there because that's where the firework barges are" and such.

But to say it CAN'T be done...I don't agree. IF there's money to be made from it, they'll find a way to do it. That's why I suggested some sort of shuttle. I think a canal is unlikely. They have to traverse a major roadway and also enter backstage to a park. However, they certainly could make some sort of very basic tramway with a bridge to get into the park. Even something like an elevated enclosed moving walkway. (Sure - ADA compliant as well.) They could easily do the security/ticketing on the DVC end, and leave a relatively small footprint in Epcot. See my drawing below. The distance as I measure in this drawing is a mere 700 feet. The backstage area between the canal storage and Germany could have a small offload area that is screened /hedged off, and as I said if you made it an enclosed moving walkway you would never see the backstage area. (Does this area next to Germany look at all in use to you?)

Seriously folks - the difference between what you could charge for a DVC at Caribbean Beach and what you could charge for a DVC at Caribbean beach with direct access to World Showcase with a 5 minute ride? Talk about easy to justify the CapEx. If we are talking 14 points per night instead of 10 points per night (basis) that's an increase of 40% in points. Bay Lake Tower has 5.7 million points. 40% of that is 2.3 million points more to sell. At $180 a point - that's $400 million in Disney's pocket by making a "Park connected DVC" versus an "OKW/SSR style DVC". You think they can't solve that path for $400 million dollar?

View attachment 216035

THAT was well said, and precisely what I am thinking and was (far less well articulated) saying.

I can accept arguments of "they can't enter there because that's where the firework barges are" and such.

But to say it CAN'T be done...I don't agree. IF there's money to be made from it, they'll find a way to do it. That's why I suggested some sort of shuttle. I think a canal is unlikely. They have to traverse a major roadway and also enter backstage to a park. However, they certainly could make some sort of very basic tramway with a bridge to get into the park. Even something like an elevated enclosed moving walkway. (Sure - ADA compliant as well.) They could easily do the security/ticketing on the DVC end, and leave a relatively small footprint in Epcot. See my drawing below. The distance as I measure in this drawing is a mere 700 feet. The backstage area between the canal storage and Germany could have a small offload area that is screened /hedged off, and as I said if you made it an enclosed moving walkway you would never see the backstage area. (Does this area next to Germany look at all in use to you?)

Seriously folks - the difference between what you could charge for a DVC at Caribbean Beach and what you could charge for a DVC at Caribbean beach with direct access to World Showcase with a 5 minute ride? Talk about easy to justify the CapEx. If we are talking 14 points per night instead of 10 points per night (basis) that's an increase of 40% in points. Bay Lake Tower has 5.7 million points. 40% of that is 2.3 million points more to sell. At $180 a point - that's $400 million in Disney's pocket by making a "Park connected DVC" versus an "OKW/SSR style DVC". You think they can't solve that path for $400 million dollar?

View attachment 216035

Yep, have to be looking into at least IMO as well. If they do it or not who knows yet.

And like I said, that distance is about Main St USA.

Looks like a similar lot pic to mine from page 1, so seems to have potential room.

Did I pull an old pic here? That EPCOT lot across the road is empty-but I assume deliveries etc.

Either way its as short as Main Street from CBR entrance to that lot.

CRB.jpg

I prefer CSR and POR to CBR pool.

Personal tastes can obviously differ. However, CBR has the kids area, and a pool area twice the size of POR's. CSR is similar, but I think they are lacking the kids area. I could be mistaken.

Personal tastes can obviously differ. However, CBR has the kids area, and a pool area twice the size of POR's. CSR is similar, but I think they are lacking the kids area. I could be mistaken.
French Quarter just added a kids area. I'm not sure if there are plans to add kids areas to the other two moderates.

The main pool at POR is actually bigger, and the pool area at CBR is only -slightly-, and I do mean slightly, bigger than POR, no where near twice the size. They are lacking a dedicated kid area at POR, but there are lots of fun elements at POR that are kid friendly, just not a splash area for very little ones. But that's a fair claim against POR's pool if thats what you are looking for.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.

I'm looking to buy into DVC later this year. Just 100 points at Saratoga which will get me 2 weeks vacation every 2 years from the UK. While I'm likely to stay at Old Key West or Boardwalk for roughly 76 points a week off season, if I had the option of a moderate DVC for less points then I'd certainly consider that to give me a longer stay.

Saying that, I can imagine current DVC owners also going for it too.

Just a heads up--- don't expect to get a boardwalk standard studio in econo season with SSR points--- they will be gone long before the 7 month window.

The main pool at POR is actually bigger, and the pool area at CBR is only -slightly-, and I do mean slightly, bigger than POR, no where near twice the size. They are lacking a dedicated kid area at POR, but there are lots of fun elements at POR that are kid friendly, just not a splash area for very little ones. But that's a fair claim against POR's pool if thats what you are looking for.

But you are permitted to use the brand new splash play area at POFQ.

Maybe they are going to do away with the fireworks ? :(

I can't see this happening. As impressive as the drone display was fireworks are too embedded in the WD experience. I just watched video of Illuminations with the holiday add on. Impressive fireworks. There's no way drones can equal that experience at least anytime soon.

Just a heads up--- don't expect to get a boardwalk standard studio in econo season with SSR points--- they will be gone long before the 7 month window.

I gotta ask...when and where are you running into these booking issues? We rotate without much thought...

I can't see this happening. As impressive as the drone display was fireworks are too embedded in the WD experience. I just watched video of Illuminations with the holiday add on. Impressive fireworks. There's no way drones can equal that experience at least anytime soon.

So your saying there's no way they can take away what used to be part of the ticket and not replace it? And then certainly wouldn't still charge more, would they?

Didn't want to make this a Mod pool thread, but the fact remains that POR pool has 158k gallons, while CBR's I believe is around 240k. CSR is actually the largest at 270k....

I was more basing my "CBR has the best Mod pool" assertion based on the "best pool lists" that you can find out there.

But personal tastes will vary.

So your saying there's no way they can take away what used to be part of the ticket and not replace it? And then certainly wouldn't still charge more, would they?

They may very well try but the technology is a long way from the vision. Look at the uproar over removing the nighttime parade. I know it's not a game changer as far as people cancelling their trips but no fireworks might be a game changer. I know, as you say nothing will change unless people vote with their feet. However eliminating fireworks might create that.

If you built that walkway at Caribbean it would end up roughly in the parking lot of Martinique 21...just saying

No doubt, but the BLT walkway is long enough by itself to span the road and canal in question, much less just the road-just saying.

No doubt, but the BLT walkway is long enough by itself to span the road and canal in question, much less just the road-just saying.

The overall distance isn't even comparable...Caribbean is the most sprawling property ever built (the entirety of Disneyland fits into the lake) and the service area behind Epcot isn't "small" either...

You have been back in the service area, right? I can only assume yes if your saying "just build a bridge" that's about 150 ft in length - at most.

They may very well try but the technology is a long way from the vision. Look at the uproar over removing the nighttime parade. I know it's not a game changer as far as people cancelling their trips but no fireworks might be a game changer. I know, as you say nothing will change unless people vote with their feet. However eliminating fireworks might create that.

What uproar? Around here?

I've yet to see anyone cancel a trip, stay out of the magic kingdom, or change their free spending ways one damn bit...

It would be refreshing if I did...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter