Plastics and Coronavirus - should bans be reconsidered?

So we never had a plastic ban, heck, we still have styrofoam cups. A lot of people use reuse-able bags, but they’re currently not allowed.

I don’t support bans, but think we should work on reducing where we can. Single use plastic bags definitely have their uses and there’s time when they are a better alternative to bringing a multi-use bag.

I try to use my multi-use bags, but I struggle with them. I always feel like they’re gross. The cloth ones never hold up to machine washing and hand washing them is just a mess. If they’re not a washable material then I’m trying to wipe them down with disinfectant then wash off the disinfectant so I’m not getting that on my food. I haven’t found any that are actually easy to clean.

same with straws. I try to use silicone or whatever straws, but they’re really only good for water. Anything with sugar or milk is impossible to clean out them and they just end up a nasty mess. I don’t feel awesome about it but I have to use a normal plastic straw on my iced lattes.

So we never had a plastic ban, heck, we still have styrofoam cups. A lot of people use reuse-able bags, but they’re currently not allowed.

I don’t support bans, but think we should work on reducing where we can. Single use plastic bags definitely have their uses and there’s time when they are a better alternative to bringing a multi-use bag.

I try to use my multi-use bags, but I struggle with them. I always feel like they’re gross. The cloth ones never hold up to machine washing and hand washing them is just a mess. If they’re not a washable material then I’m trying to wipe them down with disinfectant then wash off the disinfectant so I’m not getting that on my food. I haven’t found any that are actually easy to clean.

same with straws. I try to use silicone or whatever straws, but they’re really only good for water. Anything with sugar or milk is impossible to clean out them and they just end up a nasty mess. I don’t feel awesome about it but I have to use a normal plastic straw on my iced lattes.
That's why I think it should always be left to the person to decide what they want to do, and recycling facilities for plastics improved. I use reusables in my supermarket, but only because we no longer have thin vest bags (only thicker bags that cost more than the bag tax, except for Aldi and Co-op, who have those nice compromise compostable bioplastic vest bags as an option), and I do my best to clean them, but I find the Disney Store's NWPP bags to be an absolute pain to clean, due to the material.

Imposing something that involves a great burden of trust on the person to properly clean their reusable bags after use, in the name of conspicuous conservation, is dangerous - how exactly are the stores going to know if the customer's bag is clean or not?

I have felt the same way about places like Starbucks allowing people to bring mugs from home. One person’s opinion of what constitutes a clean and sanitized cup can be worlds away from what another person thinks is OK. I understand the thought process behind reusable, and I am all for recycling. But there are some times that reusable is not the better choice overall, at least not yet.

I have felt the same way about places like Starbucks allowing people to bring mugs from home. One person’s opinion of what constitutes a clean and sanitized cup can be worlds away from what another person thinks is OK. I understand the thought process behind reusable, and I am all for recycling. But there are some times that reusable is not the better choice overall, at least not yet.
I can see the CDC recommending a permanent federal moratorium on all bag bans, and other governments being discouraged from imposing bans or taxes, not to mention businesses like Disney being discouraged from voluntary phaseouts. I want to be able to go to a Disney Store again without being forced to pay for a bag I'm not likely ever going to bring back every time I go in, and preferably, I'd like to see the cute bags they once had make a comeback, as much as I doubt we'll ever see blue Pixar and pink princess bags again. Those were my favourite, next to the pre-phaseout multi-franchise ones and those comic strip bags upcyclers loved to make art out of. I wonder how many lamented their loss when Disney decided they wanted to advertise all their franchises on the bags?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter