Please compare pools of AKL and POR

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Thinking about a long weekend visit with a lot of time at a resort. Please compare the pools of AKL and POR. Will probably get a standard room at either place.

First of all the AKL is a deluxe resort w. a private balcony or patio, king or 2 queen size beds, or 1 queen and a set of bunk-beds. Rooms are larger than a moderate resort (POR). You have more in-room ammenities, interior hallways, 2 sit-down restaurants.
The pool has a slide and you walk right-in, no stairs. Theme goes well with the hotel.

POR is a moderate, with no private balconies/patio, no interior hallways, no room service, etc. Bedding is 2 doubles, extra $$ for a king. Main pool has a small slide and very busy -- people at POFQ use this pool too. There are other quiet pools around POR -- and they are a basic pool, no slide.

I've only been to AKL, but here are the facts on that pool. It is the largest pool on site at resorts. It is the only pool at the resort (ie there are no quiet pools.) It has zero depth entry on one side. There is a nice slide - not to fast or high. Lots of life guards during busy time. The life guards did some pool games with the kids at certain times of the day while we were there. There is a pool side bar. They have two jacuzzis - one is rather large. There is a playground right behind the pool. You can at times see some animals, giraffes from the pool. I think this is an excellent choice for a resort to relax and hang around at.:D

Just got home yesterday from AKL. We had stayed at POR in 2000. My son 8, voted for the pool at POR. I'm not quite sure why but he did like it better. I would say that the slides are somewhat comparable. Neither are very big. If the main pool at POR gets crowded you always have a number of quiet pools to go and relax at. I think the main difference is size and the zero entry depth at AKL.

The zero depth entry is very nice especially for small children. We like the AKL pool very much but our one complaint is we found the pool water very hot. We were there in July and the pool water was not refreshing at all and the hot tubs were like getting into a pot of boiling water.

I'd pick AKL in a heartbeat! Of course, everyone has their own taste in resorts. If you are planning to stay at the resort a lot, AKL is gorgeous and very relaxing. The lobby is beautiful, with lots of sofas and easy chairs for lounging. The gift shop is fun and the fast food place (Mara) is very good. Have only eaten at Boma once (last summer) and it was incredibly good!

As far as the pool, it is beautifully landscaped with a fun slide and 2 nice hot tubs - one in a quiet spot behind the slide, and one close to the savannah - you can walk steps from there to see the animals. We were there 2 weeks ago - resort was really hopping, but we could always find lounge chairs at the pool and since the pool is so big, it wasn't overcrowded. The pool is shallow, and I think that's why it is pretty warm - I like warm water, so that doesn't bother me.
Good luck deciding!!

I love POR, but with these choices it is AKL all the way for all of the reasons mentioned above. These 2 resorts just cannot be compared. POR is a great moderate, but AKL is a definite step above. :p

If you are comparing pools only, then my opinion is POR. The slide there is actually a lot better than the one at AKL. The one at AKL almost looks like it was an after-thought so not much room to have at least a few turns and twists. For my two little ones, we did like the zero entry at AKL, but there is nothing else to make it attractive. At POR, at least there is a spot where the water is flowing from above so it's like a mini waterfall. Now, the hottubs at AKL by far surpass what they are calling a hottub at POR. It's all in what you're looking for.

Overall, AKL is my choice over POR, but for just plain fun in the pool, we had more fun with the slide and the pool at POR. Actually, I think the pool and the dragon slide at POFQ is better than at POR. When we went to POR this past May, they had put up a fence in the area next to where you come out of the slide and the adjoining section, thereby dividing the pool into 2 sections. I don't know if that was just temporary or not.

Originally posted by mickey'sbud
Thinking about a long weekend visit with a lot of time at a resort. Please compare the pools of AKL and POR. Will probably get a standard room at either place.

I've never stayed at POR, but have stayed at AKL .. and one of the things I liked so much about the resort was their pool/pool area! It's really gorgeous! I'm normally not one who goes on and on about pool areas at any hotel, but this was an exception. I found it very relaxing. It's quite large, it's got great themeing, and you just feel so peaceful, and away from all the hustle and bustle of the parks while you're there. There's a terrific pool bar, complete with thatched roof; Mara's just a few steps away too, as are some animal viewing areas. It's got a small, but neat little slide, hot tub, lots of room for plenty of guests and you don't feel crowded in either.

Besides the GF, this is my favorite resort, and definitely one I personally would consider, if I lived in FL, for a perfect long w/e getaway!

Judi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter