Please list other high end tour operators, trying to compare prices and trips

Am I the only one who has actually travelled with A&K? AFTER your first trip, you can get the land portion discounted 5% - that's with the Marco Polo club. I'm a member. I have also travelled with ABD. There may be some comparable trips (low end for A&K), but for the most part, A&K is a lot pricier and more luxurious than ABD.

Am I the only one who has actually travelled with A&K? AFTER your first trip, you can get the land portion discounted 5% - that's with the Marco Polo club. I'm a member. I have also travelled with ABD. There may be some comparable trips (low end for A&K), but for the most part, A&K is a lot pricier and more luxurious than ABD.
When you say A&K is "more luxurious" than ABD, do you mean the hotels are more luxurious? Or the activities? Or the service? Could you please explain that in a little more detail? What makes A&K worth even more money than ABD?

Sayhello

Beachbunny, thanks so much for the info on Marco Polo Club return member discount.

Sayhello, - haven't been with A&K, but I know the number of guests is a max of 24 (I think Disney goes up to 40), and the trips I have researched have only the best hotels listed. For example in Israel the Scots Hotel and David Citadel, along with The KIng David, are considered the best of the best in the entire country. They also seem to have in local in home experiences, where as far as I know, Disney only does local culture events at commercial or hotel venues. They also list alot of classes that are available on their trips, where I would describe Disney as having more of an arts and crafts type experience. For example, painting a gord with Disney, as opposed to taking a pottery or weaving class. The other thing I noticed is A&K will customize your trip, and Disney will not. Also, they definelty have more trips to choose from. I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but those are a few things I have noticed. Still love ABD, but I am enjoying looking at all the options.

Bobo: You need to compare apples to apples when comparing prices. You only compared the Galapagos section of the A&K to the Galapagos plus Ecuador ABD tour. For A&K, Otavalo etc. are add-ons - and not cheap ones at that. I made the comparison and then booked ABD.

Sayhello: With A&K, the sky is the limit as far as luxury. In Italy or Provence, you can rent an entire villa. That is, if you want to travel on your own. If you go with one of their tours, you stay at some pretty swank hotels - the Peninsula and the Ritz-Carlton in China and the Imperial and Okura hotels in Japan. (Although I did see that they use Sopa resorts in East Africa - they're not so nice in my opinion - go with a tour that offers Serena resorts or better.) I've stayed at these hotels and so far, none of the ABD hotels have been better. Maximum group sizes for the family tours is 24 as opposed to 40 for ABD (with either tour company you can end up with a much smaller group - just luck of the draw). A&K trips are customizable - for a price. And finally, there is greater selection of tours to choose from.

One more small thing. A&K has brochures available for all their different trips. With Disney, I requested a 2011 ages ago. What is it with Disney and their brochures?

ABD just came out with its 2011 line-up a couple of weeks ago. As far as I know, their brochure is not out yet.

A&K has many brochures. They don't all come out at once and not all brochures for 2011 are out yet either. I've been getting e-mails from A&K as they come out for different regions.

I too have started getting emails about their brochures, and their seem to be quiet a few available on line, as you say probably not for all trips. However, as far as I know, Disney only puts out one a year, and if often takes awhile to get it.

I too have started getting emails about their brochures, and their seem to be quiet a few available on line, as you say probably not for all trips. However, as far as I know, Disney only puts out one a year, and if often takes awhile to get it.
Disney has an online version, also. It's just not up yet. They have a thing up on the site right now where you can request that they email you when the online brochure is available.

Sayhello

Disney has an online version, also. It's just not up yet. They have a thing up on the site right now where you can request that they email you when the online brochure is available.

Sayhello

I think for the last couple of years, ABD had the e-brochure and the order form for the mail brochure (not pre-order like this year) up on the website when they announced the new initeraries. We're 17 days post announcement this year and no actual brochure yet. Maybe that means they still have some things in the works. :) More ABD/DCL trips, possibly, that they want to include in their marketing material.

I think for the last couple of years, ABD had the e-brochure and the order form for the mail brochure (not pre-order like this year) up on the website when they announced the new initeraries. We're 17 days post announcement this year and no actual brochure yet. Maybe that means they still have some things in the works. :) More ABD/DCL trips, possibly, that they want to include in their marketing material.
Actually, when I called ABD in July to ask some questions about a couple of the trips, the rep said that it was a "soft announcement". They were expecting the number of calls & reservations to pick up in August... :confused3

Sayhello

Sayhello, I did request the ebrochure, and hopefully a hard copy, as you mentioned. I guess it will be out at some point. I am not sure why it takes them so long. But as I mentioned, it is not a big deal, and wouldn't make me pick one company over the other. I am just in the mode of comparing companies and all their differences, so I have noticed other higher-end tour operators already have brochures available for many of the 2011 trip.s:)

Thomson sent out an offer today for travel in Dec. It includes Peru, Egypt, Costa Rica, Belize, Baja, Galapagos, Panama, and Tanzania. Offer is $300 off per person, plus it appears that there is some additional incentive to book airfare now. The dates that the offer applies to are clearly marked on their website.

Thomson Family Adventures and our local colleagues in each destination have teamed up to offer you an incentive to secure your plans now for the holidays: Book now to travel before Christmas for less, and we will also give you an incentive to buy your flights now.

*Choose any of our adventures departing between December 17 and 23
*Book before Labor Day, September 6, 2010
*We'll credit your invoice $300 per person

Bobo912, How I wish I could take advantage of that! I think we are going to do a Thompson tour next, but it will be a year or so, due to our commitment to do a DCL to Alaska with Friends and Family next summer. Thanks so much for sharing that.

I just got this in an email from Thomson Family Adventures:

We're now offering a discount of $500 per family for the first family to book one of our scheduled departures at least six months in advance.

They offer this occasionally. Thought it might be of interest to some of the followers of this thread.

hanks Bobo for the travel and leisure link and to you the list of other adventure company's I would love to book another ABD trip but these other company's seem to include airfare which is huge. I've traveled Club ABC and have loved it! Check it out all!

hanks Bobo for the travel and leisure link and to you the list of other adventure company's I would love to book another ABD trip but these other company's seem to include airfare which is huge. I've traveled Club ABC and have loved it! Check it out all!

I'm not aware of any company that includes airfare. I know none of the ones discussed in this thead do.

I'm not aware of any company that includes airfare. I know none of the ones discussed in this thead do.

Odysseys Unlimited, one of Travel & Leisures, top picks, does include airfare. I'm not sure of the quality of their tours but according to the huge brochure I received, all of their tours include airfare.

Beware that their tours are not family oriented. Companions must be 15 or older. And the average age of travelers is 50-80. Just thought you should be aware of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter