Please 'Splain the Process of Using Points to Book SouthWest

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
I've got just under 7000 points, wifey just shy of 5000. I doubt that's enough to get a whole flight but can they be used to whittle down the actual dollar cost? If so, does that slow down the booking process? I ask this because a few years ago I signed in as soon as the window opened, grabbed a great rate for the 2 of us but by the time I got to the check out the rate was gone so I'd rather not slow down the process.

Thanks,
Bill From PA

I've got just under 7000 points, wifey just shy of 5000. I doubt that's enough to get a whole flight but can they be used to whittle down the actual dollar cost? If so, does that slow down the booking process? I ask this because a few years ago I signed in as soon as the window opened, grabbed a great rate for the 2 of us but by the time I got to the check out the rate was gone so I'd rather not slow down the process.

Thanks,
Bill From PA
You have to pay completely with points if you're using points. If you don't have enough, you can purchase more points, but that is a separate transaction & you have to buy a certain amount (not just the number you'd need for the desired flight), and you'd have to decide if that is cost-effective for the flight you're looking at. The way to book with points is to select "Points" rather than "Dollars" when you're setting up the search criteria for your flights. And you're right, 5,000 points isn't likely enough to buy you a flight.

Thanks, Shanti, I'll just sit tight and let the points accumulate. Also I'll give their credit card deal a look and see if it makes sense for us,

Bill From PA

Last edited:
I just got 60000 points on a SW Visa promo from September. Had to spend $2000 in 3 months. I was able to spend half of it by getting Disney gift cards to pay my DVC dues.

My rule of thumb with SWA RR points is 5000 = $100 +/-. That is not always true and it's not an exact science, but frequently when there are fares offered for under $100, I can get them for around 5000 points.
Right now - a $91 fare from Hartford (my airport) to MCO is 5143 points. SWA does change this formula sometimes, so always check. If you use the flexible dates option with show fares in points, you will see a calendar of the lowest points required to fly on a specific day. Of course, the lights with the lowest points, may not be at the times you want to fly.

Anne

Southwest prices all of their flight as one-way fares. You can book one direction with cash and the other with points. You’ll have to do each in a separate transaction.

There are some nice advantages when booking with points. If you reprice or cancel your flight, points are returned to your account with no restrictions, whereas when you reprice a flight booked with cash you get Travel Funds that must be used within one year of the original booking date. Also, if you use your points to book a flight for someone else, you get the points back if you reprice/cancel their flight. When booking with cash, only the original passenger can use the Travel Funds that result from repricing/canceling even if you paid for their ticket.

Depends on what day you are flying and how far in advance you can book. I see several PIT-MCO one way flights for 5040 points this summer, and lots below 7000. You could book your ticket with points and hers with cash. I have gotten some below 5000 before, but rarely.

I have a Chase Sapphire preferred card which allows me to transfer points to my SW or my DHs SW account. (he is an authorized user on the card). The points are worth more to me in SW points than their equivalent cash value would be. (That 5040 point fare is worth $90, but cash back for 5040 points From the credit card would only be $50.)

The bonus points for the SW credit cards are definitely worth it to get for one year. I went all out this year and got 2 different ones to qualify for the free companion pass.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter