Please tell me what we will love about SSR!!

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
We own at BWV and have tried all of the resorts except SSR and OKW. I'm not sure I will like the size and setup of SSR but that's what is available for our trip in October (split stay with WL which we know we love). What do you love about SSR and what tips do you have for a family of 5 (kids ages 8, 5, 2) plus my mom. Thank you!!

What we love:

The quiet, beautiful grounds.
Good Food
Great pools
Fabulous staff
Room Decor
Close to all parks not just one.
Walk to Downtown Disney
Spa
Outdoor fire and grills
Quiet rooms
Nice views from many locations

Walking to downtown is great. I loved the pool and waterslide right next to my building. Relaxing on the balcony. Take the boat ride to old key west.

I have kids the exact same ages. We are staying at SSR for the first time in Sept, on our last trip we visited the pool at the Paddock and my kids LOVED it. In fact, SSR was their first choice for our trip this Fall. I tried to talk them into BLT for the first time but no one wanted to hear it, all insisted on "the place by DTD with the cool pool!!!" (DH included ;))

That being said, I think your kids will love SSR. The pools are great, the resort it beautiful, walking to DTD will be a big plus with a stroller. Our home resort is OKW and it's lovely to take the boat over for a few hours and head back when the kids are cashed out. I like that you don't have to deal with parking or busses, and there is no security or ticket kiosks to go through. It's an easy low key way to enjoy shopping, food, drinks and fun atmosphere without the commitment of re-entering a park at the end of a long day. (my kids are go go go in the early morning, and tend to fizzle out by sundown!)

We are also excited to check out the Community Hall while we are there, my kids love the activities at the OKW CH and have already asked if there is one at SSR. I'm sure I am missing tons of wonderful happenings at the SSR resort, but I hope some of this helped get you more excited about your stay :goodvibes

I think the only reason it gets a bad rap on this site is because it is so much bigger than the hotel DVCs. There is almost always vacancy so it seems less desirable somehow....:confused3

The Saratoga theme... gives the feel of old century horse-racing times (just thinking about it gets me pumped up). I found another DISer that loves the races and we discuss it often now.

SSR, what I love:

The lush grounds, beautiful especially if you enjoy walking! Love the proximity to DTD, you can walk it, bus it or my favorite take the boat to it! Fun thing to just hop the boat, beautiful at night, to go have dinner or even just ice cream at Girardeli's! My favorite section of SSR is Congress Park, DTD view. It's close to one of the quiet pools and the BBQ grills which we use! The Artist Palette)QS) makes good sandwhiches and salads and then the Turf Club I call the little hidden gem, good prime rib, excellent lamb (my son's favorite)!

I was a SSR Naysayer too. It is a great resort:

• Artist Pallet is a fantastic restaurant. Great sellection, price and atmospher.
  • The colors and landscaping is top notch
  • Walks to DTD are great. DTD is not close but if you like to walk it is fun
  • Great pools
  • Park in Front of your room
  • Good on Points and availability
  • Great common spaces (Lobbies)
  • Awesome Community Hall
  • Great Spa

We stayed in a THV last October and used the pools at SSR and our kids (11 and 9 now) loved both the Paddock and Springs pools. The Springs pool was a little cold for DS (but DD didn't mind) so he and DH spent some time in the community hall instead and enjoyed it.

We also stayed at OKW on the same trip and loved the feel of the resort and the activities at the main pool. And we ate at Olivia's for breakfast and dinner and both meals were great.

We have not stayed there. Sounds similar to POR which we have stayed at. Nice, quiet, peaceful. I think it gets a bad rap because if they have availability almost anytime, you don't need home resort advantage. Therefore, points are a bit less. It's also a big reosrt with more points available. Do like the low MF & extended contract life.

I am an owner at SSR and i love the following

Multiple Pools
Quietness
Walk to DTD
used to stay there when it was the Vacation Villas and Disney Institute so its nostalgic for me.
The Turf Club AWSOME

Downside and ONLY ONE
long bus rides if you dont have a car

Stayed at OKW last December
loved Olivias
Studio IS HUGE
Quiet and relaxing
Staff is awesome

Same downside as SSR long walks and bus rides need a car for both

Dittos for many big things already mentioned -- landscaping, walks to DTD, pool options, staff. Here are a couple of little things -- the public space connecting the Carriage House, Turf Club, and Artist Palette are beautiful but not stuffy -- the colorful glass chandeliers are my favorite. With your (OP) family having three kids at three different ages, they each might have a different favorite pool. The Carousel area is usually thought of as least desirable, but tale a walk there once, so that you can see the Reedy Creek Fire Department's firehouse -- a fire house only Disney could create.

Transportation is a bit of a hassle if you don't have a car, but you're family will enjoy your trip. Please, if you like your stay, don't praise SSR too highly -- in a few years our family would like to do a resale add-on, and we need the price to stay in the $60s!:teacher:

It gets a bad rap (probably the always open availability makes it seem less desirable) but we liked it. We were there for the paddock pool reopening (see profile pic) and the community hall was the best we've experienced so far for the kids. I would have bought there if the wife didn't want BLT so badly. As BLT owners, the monorail is what my wive loves so much as the proximity to MK, But I would never list the busses as a con. AKV, OKW, and SSR all uses busses for everywhere (except DTD at OKW & SSR by boat). As my kids get older and grow out of strollers the busses aren't as hated anymore, and I like the SSR and OKW have their own busses. We like the pool options at SSR, the quite atmosphere, and the community hall. It would not be my first choice for a short stay, but we are considering renting more points to go there again this summer. (Out of points for this year :( )

duh! found my answer easily with a search (wondered about w/d)

The Community Hall is top notch; it's DD 13's favorite (she's fond of the arcade and campfire time too). The movies poolside at the pools recreates the drive-in movie atmosphere and is great fun. The pool table adjacent to the Turf Club is hidden fun while waiting for dinner or just chilling out. The patios and looking out at the golf course or DTD in the evening with a glass of wine...a nice way to unwind.

The zero entry pool and Donald splash area are fun at High Rocks. The pool at Grandstand has water "guns" for play. Haven't been to Paddock but others have answered that.

SSR is a great resort after the hustle and bustle of the parks. It allows you to relax and "come down" from all of the stimulation.

We love it...and are going home in 33 days.

:banana:

We own at BWV and just came back from our first stay as owners (previously we stayed on cash or rented). This trip we stayed one night at AKV, two nights at BLT, ten nights at BWV and two nights at SSR (we come from Europe, so we tend to travel every so many years, but then stay longer), and I have to say, we really loved SSR. While BWV remains our number one, we're now thinking of adding on SSR (given the price and the current maintenance fee).

Why we unexpectedly fell in love with SSR (we actually only stayed there because we got stuck with the storm, and SSR was the only resort available):
* The beautiful grounds; It's very spread out, but if you can get a room not too far from the main lobby, it's not too bad; and the walks are really relaxing with beautiful ponds, lawns and bridges.
* My daughter, hubbie and me adored the pools. AKV's got a great pool (especially Kidani wet play area), BWV's got a great slide (the clown is scary, but the ride itself feels awesome), but SSR's pools somehow topped each of them. The two 'play' pools aren't too far from eachother, and I liked how you had several slides of different 'levels', which allowed my 4 year old too gradually move to larger slides :-)
* The boat ride to DTD is nice and relaxing
* I really liked the Artist Pallette. Of all the quick service meals, i felt i got the most value out of this one, with special drinks and fresh strawberries as dessert!
* The community hall is the largest one I believe (even if personally i prefer the BWV one), but it does mean the largest selection of crafts i think

Anyway, i'm sure you'll have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter