PO Boat transportation stopping, more..

TinkerbellRules

DIS Veteran
I decided to post this on the rumor boards. I don't want to start any uproar, but I decided to post this.

My DH is down at WDW (POFQ - one of last guests) and talked with a boat driver on the way back from DTD today. He was the only one on the boat with the driver. The driver stated things are really bad right now. As of Saturday, there will no longer be ANY boats except to the parks. They have contracted a company to put the boats in storage for what they are predicting to be 2 yrs. POFQ could be closed for that long as well. POR could be next. WDW resorts have only 15% the normal occupancy at Christmas time. People are cancelling all the time. Prior to 9/11, they were 100% for Christmas. The driver has many years with WDW and will be sent to the BW area as a bus boy with only two days. He said lots of people are losing their jobs and getting the hours cut way back.

It’s really bad down there… I hesitated to post this. It was coming from one person who stated he just had a big meeting today. I don’t know why he would state these things if they weren’t true. You never know. I just don’t want anyone to be surprised Saturday if there isn’t any boat transportation.

I’ll post more after he gets home. We didn’t have a chance to talk about WDW that much tonight

That is really ashame. I really feel bad for the CMs that are having their hours drastically cut or are losing their jobs. That didn't earn a great salary before all of the cutbacks.

I'm assuming the boats you're referring to are the ones that go to the parks from the MK resorts? They also have the alternative to use the monorail (POLY & GF). WL's only way to MK is by boat so they'd have to keep that one going. Same with the EPCOT resorts- they are within walking distance but for some it is a long walk and the same boat also goes to MGM which is a further walk.

I was surprised to hear that the bus transportation wasn't reported to be any different than usual. I would have thought they would have cut buses from the schedule too.

So said about POFQ and possibly POR. I just can't believe that they are so slow there. It was like yesterday that it was a 2 hr wait to ride the boat from POR (then DL) to DD.

I'm sure they have constant influxes of people canceling and calling back to reschedule from one day to the next. Between layoffs and being afraid to travel it's just like a rollercoaster.

This is really bad news. I can't believe that Disney would actually close PORS and hope that it doesn't happen. The DD boats closing doesn't surprise me a bit though. :(

I've been frustrated about the CM's losing jobs or hours for a while now. How in the world can the standards stay high under these conditions?

Oh no!!! My sister & I were planning to take the boat from PO-R to Downtown Disney next Saturday after our Boatwrights dinner.

Oh well....I guess we'll have to just take the bus. But what a bummer - that boat ride was one of my favorite things about PO-R.

From what I understand, it's the boat from PO to DTD (and obviously between POFQ & POR). THe driver said the boats to the parks will continue. Then again, you never know. They could be cut as well.

I feel badly for the employees too. We met Ken who was originally from Indiana. He worked in the POFQ gift shop. Also, the boat driver we met a few weeks ago had connections to Indy as well.

DH said there were barely any kids in the pools at POR.

Hedgehogs: Let us know what you find out on Saturday.

Actually If you think about it, boats to the parks run primarily from the Deluxe resorts. Deluxe resorts appeal to people with more money to begin with. these people generally have a more stable income and are less hurt by economic down times. Which means the only factor is airtravel. It wouldn't surprise me to find that all of the Deluxes are doing better.

...that the boats from MK to GF and the Poly were cut a while ago, too?

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a disappointment, but not that big a deal; the monorail is adequate "alternative transportation" for my definition of a Disney resort.

Now, if they cut the boat from WL, that would be the sort of thing that would poke me in the ribs with a sharp stick.

Jeff

As I recall, the boat cuts were a rumour based on the low water levels. it never happened

Well! Here's a twist. The first controversy in car #3!! Even I'm amazed!! When talking about the boats as a mode of transportation from the resorts to the MK, the Honorable JeffJewell says:
Don't get me wrong, I think that's a disappointment, but not that big a deal; the monorail is adequate "alternative transportation" for my definition of a Disney resort.
It seems to me that this is the same type of thinking that made it easy to install that wonderful bus system that WDW currently enjoys. To me, and especially at the Deluxe Resorts, the 'alternative' transportation system was one of the things that made "Disney" Disney! Now, I'll agree that this concept has been watered down by their absolute refusal to incorporate this strategy for their other two parks (a mundane bus seems to be the easy answer), but that should not interfere with the original thought on the subject, which was: Even getting there is a unique and magical experience!

Now to take that concept, as muddied as it is lately, and totally disregard it, or at best minimize it with excuses of monorail transportation being adequate, seems to me at least, to smack of total indifference for the SHOW and what brought people to the dance in the first place. Even if you never took them (and when I stayed there I never did) it was nice seeing them on the water, whisking people to and fro, bring a smile to your face as you're thinking, "See! That's what makes Disney, Disney!!"

Just a thought. If you agree, I'll let you drive for a while! ;)

The first controversy in car #3!!
...eh. I'm not in much of a fighting mood over this one.

As our happy little group has gone 'round and 'round over the months, I've been required to re-state and re-define my position quite a bit. Nature of the beast in this medium. At the moment, I'm reasonably happy with my personal definition of what it means to be a "Disney" resort. One of the requirements of that definition is alternative transportation to the parks (I know I'm kinda sorta ignoring Disney Studios in this, and pretty blatantly ignoring Animal Kingdom, but I'll complain about the lack of alternative transport to those parks in some "park" oriented thread). I believe that the sense of being in a totally different world, an immersive and Magical World, was a big part of the WDW concept (seemingly borne out by both the very name of the place and all that land they bought, way back when), and being able to get to the parks without getting on an oh-so-mundane bus is an important part of creating the different world illusion.

The Moderates, Values, and Animal Kingdom Lodge do not fit my definition of a "Disney Resort," because you have to get on a bus to go anywhere.

Even without the boats, you don't have to get on a bus to get to MK from the Poly or GF.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the launches (it might be a temporal illusion, but it sure felt like the launches would get you there more quickly than the monorail... particularly to GF) and lament their loss (By the way, YoHo... I do remember the big boat blow-up you mention, but I swear I saw someone mention that the Poly and GF launches specifically were, in fact, gone. 'Course, I've been wrong before [consistently, totally, and absurdly wrong, if bicker's opinion counts for anything]).

To me, the important thing is that the alternative access exists. Yes, we could all chime in with "boats are better than monorails" or "monorails are better than boats" or even "monorail red beats the pants off of monorail black," but we're pretty clearly in the realm of personal preference at that point. It would be great if there were multiple alternative forms of transport available, but as long as AKL is called (and priced as) a Deluxe when every morning of your vacation includes standing around at the bus stop, well, let's just say I suspect the "only one form of alternative transport" complaint isn't going to rally any troops, 'round these parts.

Jeff

You sir Have no Idea what your talking about.

Everyone knows monorail Purple is the bestest monorail ever. :jester: :jester:

I don't remember that the boats were closed, but I'll check.

I also agree with you, alternative transport is Disney, but multiple alternative transport doesn't make or break it. Of course in the case of Animal Kingdom, If The Captain (or was it the Pirate?) is to be believed, They could make you walk everywhere from that resort and it would still be one of the most magical.

I have no expireance though, so I can't say.

You sir Have no Idea what your talking about.
...sure wish I had a dollar for each time someone's told me _that_, this year...

And I agree with Peter Crook about the Animal Kingdom Lodge: it's a delightful resort. Each and every one of you does yourself a disservice if you miss dinner at Jiko, and I'm very excited by the prospect of the breakfast buffet at Boma (they shut down our buffet at Spoodle's, razza-frazzin' so-and-so's).

I just don't feel there's much there that, say, Busch Gardens or the San Diego Wild Animal Park couldn't do. There are a couple bits to resorts that say "Disney" to me that are lacking at Animal Kingdom Lodge, despite the fact that I like the place. It's definitely a very nice resort, I just don't see that it takes all the extra steps to be a "Disney" resort.

Jeff

Stop it fellas! Please, let's get back in order here... [snip]Recess is over folks. Let's get back to normal!
I think some of us have spent a little too much time and energy on the Debate Board, recently. There's a character or two over there that'll really make you appreciate the relatively minor psychotics that make up our own little clique.

Jeff

PS: Putting the funny aside for a sec, I really think most of us are a lot more similar in the way we experience WDW than our violent and emotional attachments to specific minutiae sometime suggest. I'm starting to regret that the Car Pool analogy has seized our collective fancy the way it has; I think there's sometimes too much unnecessary friction between the Cars. We all need to get together on a specific focus... I say we take turns bashing into YoHo's Harley until he's forced to choose a Car, once and for all.

Hmmph, first I say "no funny" and "regret Car Analogy," then I make a funny about shoving more people into the Cars. That's really the hallmark of my posts, I think: their internal consistency.

PPS:
value resorts which spin on an axis as you sleep???
Okay, now you're advocating spinners as Value resorts? You really do miss the yelling, don't you? ;)

I remember once Landbaron got into it with bicker. Talk about two people who were talking past each other. :)

Hey, wasn't recess is over a bad Disney Animated movie earlier this year? :smooth:

About the bike, Remember, I have Spikes on the Wheels. It'd be a shame if Car one was stuck on I-4 with a Tire blow out. :)

As has been discussed here before, it seems to come down to "where do you draw the line?" This, to me, is too far. Although I accept both ferry and monorail as being alternative (i.e., non-bus) transportation, and an important part of Disney's presentation, taking one away using the rationale that "you can always use the other" is over the line.

(BTW, I understand that it appears that the *park* transportation is unaffected, so this line of conversation is largely tangent to the point. But I'm going to ramble anyway).

I don't mind cutbacks - I see reduced hours as a very reasonable response to lower attendance. I've always gone to Disney parks with a certain expectation of going on N rides, seeing my favorite parade, etc. If reduced hours are in balance with reduced attendance, and I can still do all of those things (but in a shorter time), I don't consider that crossing the line.

BUT THIS IS ELIMINATION, NOT CUTBACK!

Imagine if, instead of cutting back hours, Disney said "Park attendance is down by 1/3. We are going to respond by closing down 1/3 of our attractions", and HM, PotC, or [insert your favorite attraction here] were on the shut-down list. It would be infinitely less acceptable than reducing hours by 1/3. Reduction of operating hours, reduction in number of shows, etc., are all reasonable responses to less attendance. If you have 3 performances of a show (Hoop-Dee-Do comes to mind), but only enough interested people to fill 2, reduce the number of performances to 2.

Simply stated, if hours are cut, I can say "I'm looking forward to X. I will have the opportunity to do it this trip. Hooray!"
If features are eliminated, I can't say that. I'm stuck with "I was looking forward to X. They aren't doing it. Disney sucks."

I prefer the former over the latter.

Gary

Will the MK resort boats still be running, i.e., CR to FW, to WL, etc.? Will any of the MK resort boats to MK be running? Which ones are stopping, just the POFQ/POR ones? Can I still go from CR to the Hoop-Dee-Doo?

This is what I just posted on the resort board. HOpefully, you haven't already read it...

Updated:

Well, DH came back with more information from a CM at the front desk of POFQ. She had been there many years and stated the employees only recently found out about the closures. She said out of all the rooms at POFQ only 48 were occupied, POR wasn't much better. She stated that “we” knew before they did about the closing. She also stated all access to POFQ will be denied. There will be bars put in the water so that boats cannot get through. There will be fences/bars to block access from POR. All rooms are being emptied of beds, tvs, etc. are being removed. The food court is being emptied of cooking equipment and more. She stated she didn't think POFQ would ever open again, at least not the way we knew it. She said that closure fits the scenario of when Shades of Green was created (don’t know the previous resort name). She said she expected POR to follow (which is what the boat driver had told DH a few days prior) and basically be turned into the same type of place like Shades. Apparently those with seniority, like her, are being transferred to GF and BW after re-training. Some are losing jobs. All boats will stop EXCEPT for those that are the ONLY transportation to the parks from the resorts. She also didn’t think VWL would be sold by the end of the year. She said DVC is having the same problems they were. Also, boat driver stated the boats are being drained of fuel and they are paying to have them stored. Doesn't seem temporary to me :(

DH felt POFQ was busier than POR from just walking through. Course, maybe everyone was at the parks.

I feel really bad for the employees finding out things from us or finding out just days or minutes from all the changes. DH talked with a couple that had planned on leaving Saturday with an extended checkout time that were being denied now. Their flight doesn’t leave until the evening and they don’t know what they are going to do. They do not have a rental car. No place to leave luggage. They weren’t very happy.

We may have been one of the last ones to stay at POFQ. How sad :(

No longer a rumor. Our DU agent called Disney transportation and they said the Boat Service to DD would be eliminated when the PO-FQ closed down. They had no idea when or if it would be started again. So, I guess that makes it official.

But why close POFQ and maybe PORS permanently? It was stated that PORS would be like Shades of Green but who would use it? I don't understand any of this. :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter