"Pod" question

RBennett

has made it to Florida! Look out Mickey!!
So I have a question; I'm looking at purchasing a 'pod of some kind for our future trips, and I'm not real big on the idea of lugging a huge (full size) tripod around with me in the parks. I've kind of narrowed it down to either a gorillapod or a mini-tripod that you can stand on a trashcan or other surfance nearby. Which do you prefer/recommend? The more I think about it the more I lean towards a gorillapod because it can be shaped into a tripod but a tripod can't be bent around a railing, etc. Opinions??

i was trying to decide the same thing and just ended up with a new tripod and a monopod mainly because of the possible of not being able to always find something to attach the gorilla pod to and someplace to rest a little tripod on...i figured with the monopod it is fairly compact and light and at least independent on any other fixture for use.( plus it was 1/2 the cost of the slr gorillapod but that really wasn't the main issue, just a side benefit). i think the gorilla is a nice fun idea if your equipment isn't that heavy ( my monopod supports more weight as well)

i was trying to decide the same thing and just ended up with a new tripod and a monopod mainly because of the possible of not being able to always find something to attach the gorilla pod to and someplace to rest a little tripod on...i figured with the monopod it is fairly compact and light and at least independent on any other fixture for use.( plus it was 1/2 the cost of the slr gorillapod but that really wasn't the main issue, just a side benefit). i think the gorilla is a nice fun idea if your equipment isn't that heavy ( my monopod supports more weight as well)

Question regarding your monopod; does it still do a nice job of protecting from shakes and blurry pictures? My fear is that I'll be holding up the monopod and I'll still shake some when I try to take a picture! ESPECIALLY in low-light situations, like during wishes!! :goodvibes

Question regarding your monopod; does it still do a nice job of protecting from shakes and blurry pictures? My fear is that I'll be holding up the monopod and I'll still shake some when I try to take a picture! ESPECIALLY in low-light situations, like during wishes!! :goodvibes
no i'd use a real tripod for something like wishes( locking tripod alone in damp dark locker for most of the day). wondering how easy it would be to find someplace high enough to not be blocked by bodies with the gp or table top but maybe you could since i haven't tried it.... but so far the mono has been good. i read on a website with a mono you are supposed to put one foot forward and rest the mono tip against that instep then lean it back into your other leg to get the best stability so if i can get that down.....( i've only used it exactly once standing and once sitting )plan on using it tomorrow if it doesn't snow :mad: and we take granddaughter to the zoo so i'll see how steady or unsteady i really am:rolleyes1

i also saw something called a clamper pod when i was looking up what to buy that looked good and i think looked sturdy but then again you had to have something to attach it to and one i can't recall the name of that was a giant suction pad but that might be even more difficult to find something to afix it to unless it would stick to someone's forehead;)

and i have been using either timer or remote anytime i am using tripod/lowlight/monopod just because i think i must have a lead filled shutter finger ( I slam that shutter down till it screams for mercy:rotfl2: )

So I have a question; I'm looking at purchasing a 'pod of some kind for our future trips, and I'm not real big on the idea of lugging a huge (full size) tripod around with me in the parks. I've kind of narrowed it down to either a gorillapod or a mini-tripod that you can stand on a trashcan or other surfance nearby. Which do you prefer/recommend? The more I think about it the more I lean towards a gorillapod because it can be shaped into a tripod but a tripod can't be bent around a railing, etc. Opinions??

The gorillapod looks good, but I would think it would be a pain to level when using as a tripod. You might consider a mini-tripod that has a velcro strap, so that you can strap it to a railing.

I don't have, or have used the Gorillapod. They look really interesting and useful under the right conditions. Like having something to attach them to or set them on.

I opted for the full blown tripod. Yes, it's heavy to carry around. But you can always stash it in a locker for the day and then retrieve it for Wishes or what ever you need it for after dark.

FWIW, I have a bought a couple of "cheap" tripods and a cheap monopod that turned out not to be worth the cost. Even if they were cheap.

Good quality will be worth the expensive in the long run EVERY time!! :thumbsup2 But only you can determine your needs and what your willing to pay for any equipment.

I don't have, or have used the Gorillapod. They look really interesting and useful under the right conditions. Like having something to attach them to or set them on.

I opted for the full blown tripod. Yes, it's heavy to carry around. But you can always stash it in a locker for the day and then retrieve it for Wishes or what ever you need it for after dark.

FWIW, I have a bought a couple of "cheap" tripods and a cheap monopod that turned out not to be worth the cost. Even if they were cheap.

Good quality will be worth the expensive in the long run EVERY time!! :thumbsup2 But only you can determine your needs and what your willing to pay for any equipment.

unfortunately i have found this to be true as well,. especially with supports. i had a little quantray tripod hubby bought me yrs ago that was ok for a 2 lb camera and lens but the legs actually slipped when i put my 4 lb body and lens on it and i know it would be useless by the time i added a ball head and a flash. i got a giotto tripod( over 22 wght limit) which i really like that is like a rock and a bogen/manfrotto monopod ( 11 lb limit) that was inexpensive but not cheap...it's aluminum which is pretty passe i think but is solid and weighs under a lb as well...course i practically could have bought a decent lens ( or that sniff, sniff metz flash i covet) for the cost of them but what good is it if it shakes like crazy? i can do that myself with out paying for it :) i have read your support shouldl hold 1 1/2 to 2 times the weight of whatever equipment you plan to use on it. i think bobq mentioned with the slr zoom gorilla his 30d, 70-200 f4 and maybe a flash pretty much taxed the gpod to it's limits. not sure what the op is thinking of putting on it and i think gdad might have one so maybe he'll be along with his thoughts

Just for insight and info, I'm looking at putting a Sony H7 on it, which I have heard is between 13-18 oz, depending on the website you look at. The main thing I'm wanting the 'pod for is wishes, maybe spectromagic, and the occassional picture with the shutter open for a couple seconds.

I played with a gorillapod at teh store last weekend. I don't know that I woudl trust it for the extremely long shots for fireworks. It would be better than hand holding, but even attached to stuff it seems like it jiggled very easily. But then they only had the point and shoot model out, not the heaveir models out. It does look like it has it's uses, I just don't know if shooting fireworks would be among those.

So I guess we're all in kind of agreement, huh? Gorillapod....bad. Other.....good. So what "other" do you recommend, as far as tripods go? I'd REALLY love to keep it under $100. :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo:

So I guess we're all in kind of agreement, huh? Gorillapod....bad. Other.....good. So what "other" do you recommend, as far as tripods go? I'd REALLY love to keep it under $100. :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo:

Well, it is often said that the best tripod is one that is sturdy, light and cheap. Unfortunately, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get one that is all three. They just can't/don't make them. So if you are thinking about a full size tripod now, with your $100 budget, you can either get one that is light or sturdy. And light vs sturdy is a tough decision. If its not light, you won't take it anywhere and it won't get used (my current problem). But if its not sturdy, then what's the point of bringing a tripod if the results are no better than hand holding.

If you are looking for a mini-tripod, you should be able to find good ones for about $30, but often when they say "mini", they mean only about six inches high, is that what you are looking for? If so, the Ultrapod II is pretty good. I have one and have used it several times with good results. It fits nicely in my camera bag so I always have it with me, which is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPo...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175629272&sr=8-1

No, I don't think that at all!! You just need to be aware of it's strengths and weakness and use it accordingly.

You might consider one for a DSLR and then use with your PnS. It would definitely offer better holding power then.

castle_1547.jpg

mono_1963.jpg

Both taken with a Canon 30D on a GorillaPod (SLR-Zoom model). It's not really up to much more weight than a 30D and medium zoom lens but for anything lighter than that it's pretty steady.

For what you're talking about, I would think that the Gorillapod would definitely be the way to go. It won't have the stability of a full-size tripod - but really, nothing does. It should be OK for fireworks, and certainly better than a monopod. (I shot Illuminations with a monopod one time last trip - even wedging it against the railing, it was still a tad unstable. Certainly a big improvement over handholding, but I think a Gorillapod would have been even better.)

I do have a Clamperpod which is kind of a neat little device, and can potentially give a sturdier platform than the Gorillapod... but you're really limited to what you can find to clamp on to, and it takes longer than a Gorillapod to attach, since you have to spin the screw part out then back in when you find something to clamp onto... I generally don't get much use out of it, but it is cheap and a nice thing to have in the bottom of the bag. Plus, it weighs nearly nothing.

One other side note - I don't think you'll need/want a 'pod during Spectromagic, unless you're trying to do a time-lapse "streaks" photo... it moves quickly enough where if you go with a slow enough shutter to require a 'pod, you'll get motion blur.

Did you have a head on that pod? If so, what are you using?

The SLR-Zoom Gorilla does not come with a head so I am using a Velbon QHD-51Q (same quick release as my tripod).
One item that would be nice for low angle work is an angle view finder. The Canon model is way expensive but there may be some aftermarket ones at a more reasonable price.

Did you have a head on that pod? If so, what are you using?

What is a head for? I assume it's the part that you attach to the camera to the 'pod, but I figured the gorillapod would come with one if you needed it. Is that not true? :confused3

Both taken with a Canon 30D on a GorillaPod (SLR-Zoom model). It's not really up to much more weight than a 30D and medium zoom lens but for anything lighter than that it's pretty steady.

how do you like the slr-zoom model gorillapod? i was thinking of getting that one for my new camera, since some day i want to buy a nice zoom for it.

i have a gorillapod for my small point and shoot and i loved the convenience of it. i could ALWAYS find something to rest it/attatch it to. you just have to get creative. i wasn't able to take shots of the fireworks too well, because i was watching it from off near tomorrowland, but here you can see my little camera in action with the gorillapod on top of the rocks near the tomorrowland terrace cafe.

SSL20832.jpg

ps. you have to remember to use the 2 second delay with your camera when using the gorillapod, it gives you time to press the button and let the camera settle.

Very cool angle! I was thinking that I might try to do some fireworks photos from Tomorrowland next trip - the closest we got last time was riding TTA while Wishes was going on. Pretty cool but you can't expect to get a decent fireworks photo from a moving TTA car. :)

What is a head for? I assume it's the part that you attach to the camera to the 'pod, but I figured the gorillapod would come with one if you needed it. Is that not true? :confused3

The smaller Gorillas come with heads afaik but the largest one only has a threaded stud on top.

how do you like the slr-zoom model gorillapod? i was thinking of getting that one for my new camera, since some day i want to buy a nice zoom for it.

I like the SLR-Zoom Gorilla, it is not that much larger/heavier than the smaller models and is the only one that would hold my 30D with 24-105 lens (~3 lbs for the combo). Anything heavier might have problems, I tried it with a 70-200 f/4 and it would sometimes slowly settle downwards until it was resting on the ground. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter