Podcast Cruise: Is it a good deal?

I'm not sure the savings are really all that HUGE - but I don't think you'd find a better deal for cruising May 2009 on DCL. All the extras sound great.

(No, sadly I'm not booked on this cruise - it sounds great though! I'm already pulling the kids out Sept. '08 for a 7 day cruise).

Out of curiosity, did you look at the prices of the cruises over Christmas 2009? I've priced some "peak" times like that and all I can say is....:scared1:

I just wanted to make sure you priced both trips before deciding which one to take. Seems like the May trip would be a lot cheaper! Plus there is that special Swan/Dolphin rate. :thumbsup2

Disney doesn't give travel agencies much to work with in terms of offering discounts.

Disney's been filling their sailings for many years now, to the point where they don't feel it's necessary to discount their cruises in any significant way.

Not Dreams Unlimited's fault, for sure, and the fun of being on that particular cruise is all the extras the travel agency is throwing in for ya'!

I'm sure all the travel agencies out there would looove to be able to offer 40% off Disney cruises, but how can they do it when the price is the price, from Disney?

Just to start i hate you all, i am a poor university student who couldn't even afford the flights if she won a cruise (although i could blag some money off my also obsessed mother)

Its not just about the price of the room, think about the parties the podcast crew are sorting, for podcast crew only! Sounds like a proper laugh! If i had the money i would book in an instant! But it really depends how much you want to meet the people you see on the boards.

I also really want to see Ursula's shadows cistern (what is a cistern by the way?) and her current Will catching plans.

I also really want to see Ursula's shadows cistern (what is a cistern by the way?) and her current Will catching plans.

Watch, "Silence of the Lambs" with Jodi Foster. It will explain it all.

It's still under construction...but you get the idea.
well.jpg

LOL ... Insert potential sons-in-law here....

OK - That puts you ahead again on the creepy scale! :rotfl:

LOL ... Insert potential sons-in-law here....

OK - That puts you ahead again on the creepy scale! :rotfl:
Hey, it'll be much nicer when it's finished! I plan on decorating with teddy bears...pooh: pooh: pooh: pooh: pooh: pooh: pooh: pooh:
And there's your pooh reference for the evening, folks.

I'm not sure the savings are really all that HUGE - but I don't think you'd find a better deal for cruising May 2009 on DCL. All the extras sound great.

(No, sadly I'm not booked on this cruise - it sounds great though! I'm already pulling the kids out Sept. '08 for a 7 day cruise).

Out of curiosity, did you look at the prices of the cruises over Christmas 2009? I've priced some "peak" times like that and all I can say is....:scared1:

I just wanted to make sure you priced both trips before deciding which one to take. Seems like the May trip would be a lot cheaper! Plus there is that special Swan/Dolphin rate. :thumbsup2

We don't plan on going on a cruise in December, just DisneyWorld.

Okay lets start by saying that I am trying to convince my DFi to go on the Podcast Cruise and it is not easy. First of all, he doesn't listen to the show so he thinks it is so weird that I want to go meet complete strangers. I tried to tell him that they do not feel like complete strangers to me but he still doesn't understand. So I tried the next approach, I told him it was a great deal and that we would never be able to go that cheap again. So he looks it up and compares the disneycruise.com to the quote that Dreams Unlimited travel gave me. There isn't much difference really.

Dreams: $2,262.96
DCL: $2,450.96

There has been a lot of talk about how this is a great deal but I hate to sound rude but I was expecting that it was going to be a little more significant. I almost have to agree with my DFi.

Can someone convince me otherwise?

Well, with the ship credit you are getting a more then a 10% discount.

Lets call it like we see it, the cruise is going to be expensive rather through DU or Disney direct.

But any discount is money saved.

Quite honestly, had it not be for wanting to meet everyone, we probably would not have booked the cruise.

At the end of the day for me, Pete has given us a great forum to interact and if I can do something to throw a few bucks his way, I have no problem with that.

Interesting question on the cost of the cruise. In the past I've found that a DCL cruise will typically be priced about 30% more than you would pay for the same itinerary on a different cruise line. The question becomes if you perceive a better value to the DCL experience as compared to the other lines.

Deal schmeal. Come on the cruise and have fun with everybody. It's gonna be a blast.:thumbsup2

Disney Cruise Line works on a tier pricing system.

As the percentage of available space fills, the pricing moves to the next tier. As the tier changes, the price increases.

Dreams Unlimited Travel is holding group space at the lowest tier. This is the lowest prcing available.

In addition, DU is offering a ship board credit for this cruise. This is not something that is usually offered.

Disney Cruise Line does not allow anyone to discount their product. No travel agency is ever allowed to run a "sale" on a DCL cruise. They can offer group space or a ship board credit, but they are not allowed to offer a different price structure that that of DCL.

When comparing the DU group space to the pricing offered by DCL, please keep in mind that $200 (approx.) is a substantial saving already. You will notice a greater savings as the tier changes and the price increases.

Also...please keep in mind that DU holds a limited amount of group space. The pricing being offered is not an endless promotion. When the group space is filled, even the DU price will increase.

The other benefit or perk to the Podcast cruise is that you will be able to attend any of the Podcast events. While I realize that none of that has been announced, I would hope that you see a pattern of quality from the Podcast events and prizes.

We are unable to announce any of the planned activities as they are not yet set in stone. Disney Cruise Line will not allow us to make any firm plans until we get a bit closer to the sail date. As soon as we are able to make firm plans, we will start making announcements....or torture y'all with cryptic hints.:rotfl:

All I can tell you is that the planing that is going into this cruise is amazing. As the days go by...things are being put into place that should make everyone very happy that they are involved.

I apologize for being vague....but I would be killed for spilling secrets.:rotfl:

If you have any questions, you can write to Tracy at Tracy@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com. She will be happy to answer any and all questions regarding this cruise....except the secret stuff we're planning. (Dont think I dont know what your thinking....:lmao: )

Hope this helps.
Kevin

I always get a bit upset over DCL's pricing but have to remind myself that to date it has been the highest quality cruise we've ever done and we've been on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Carnival, NCL, and the now extinct American Hawaii and Premier (Big Red Boat). The only reason we haven't cruised with DCL more is because we wanted some different itineraries...so I'm thrilled that they are finally adding new ships to the fleet.

I always get a bit upset over DCL's pricing but have to remind myself that to date it has been the highest quality cruise we've ever done and we've been on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Carnival, NCL, and the now extinct American Hawaii and Premier (Big Red Boat). The only reason we haven't cruised with DCL more is because we wanted some different itineraries...so I'm thrilled that they are finally adding new ships to the fleet.

To someone who has never cruised before and won't know any better, what are the biggest differences between DCL and a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Oh I am so jealous of all of you that can go on this cruise.....if you are even considering it and can manage it you should go.

I would go but since I work in a school district I do not get "vacation" during the year and my 4 kids go to the same district so I dont know how I would call us all in sick for 4 days....although I have thought about it.

Have I mentioned that May 10th is my birthday!! and that next year it lands on Mothers Day? and that my son, Brian, was born on my birthday which makes it his birthday also? and that my son was born on my birthday which also landed on Mothers day that year? AND THAT NEXT YEAR IS MY 50th!!!
I would love, love, love to go on this cruise......send pixie dust my way friends lol...

Okay - my whining is over.

Back to the OP, if you can arrange your schedule and have the money I would not let the cost stand in your way....in the scheme of things you may be very, very sorry you did not go.....talk your hubby into it. I cant imagine all the cool stuff that the podcast team is going to do/have.

To someone who has never cruised before and won't know any better, what are the biggest differences between DCL and a Royal Caribbean cruise?

I think it's just a slightly higher level of service and quality (cabin cleanliness, food service, entertainment, etc). However, I do feel that I need to disclose my RCCL cruise was quite awhile ago before they had the current fleet...so nothing fancy like surfing, ice skating, etc. So my opinion is probably out-dated and there may be others that feel differently. But in my case, any cruises we've gone on since our DCL cruise just haven't match the same level of satisfaction. I think I just need to start cruising more frequently again! ;)

Have I mentioned that May 10th is my birthday!! and that next year it lands on Mothers Day? and that my son, Brian, was born on my birthday which makes it his birthday also? and that my son was born on my birthday which also landed on Mothers day that year? AND THAT NEXT YEAR IS MY 50th!!!
I would love, love, love to go on this cruise......send pixie dust my way friends lol...

Oh Diane...you have got to find a way to make this happen!!! You've got so many things to celebrate. Can you just talk to your kids' teachers and tell them you've got some very special birthday plans lined up? My kids will be a sophomore and 8th grader when we cruise and I'm really nervous about having them miss a whole week as well...but I'm going to use the "don't ask for permission...beg for forgiveness" strategy and hope for the best!

I hear the characters on RCCL leave something to be desired. I mean.. Scrappy Doo, Grape Ape, Captain Planet, and the Wonder Twins?!? COME ON!!! :laughing: ... Can't beat Disney!!

Form of... an Ice Chicken Nubbet! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter