points charts

Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I am trying to figure out which resort to buy and direct vs resale. I will likely buy direct first and add on with resale. I have seen mentioned many times that the points charts are high at Riviera. I know it should be pretty easy to look at the charts and compare them but I am a little distracted by room occupancy and room category. For example - people love BWV and AKL Value studios and I believe consider them a good points value - BUT I have a family of 5 so that wont work for me. Also, I can't compare a 1 bedroom that sleeps 4 to one that sleeps 5. Has anyone done a chart or comparison between 1 bedrooms that sleep 5/studios that sleep 5, because it isn't "fair" to compare if the occupancy isn't the same. I will certainly look at this later and try to compare - just wondering if anyone already has. And all that being said, is it a better value for a family of 5 to buy poly, RIV, GF than a family of 4?

Thank You!!!!

When I added on to RIV last year, I compared to the other resorts that I like to stay at, So, I used Poly and VGF, as well as BCV and BWV garden view to compare to RIV SV Studios. I also added BLT 1 bedrooms as those sleep 5 too.

As a BWV owner, I had trouble getting SV studios, so I didn’t use those since most often in the past few years, I was forced to go with garden view,

What I realized is that a studio with 2 areas for bathroom use was a big factor and worth the extra few points a night over the other Epcot resorts, In terms of the MK resorts, it was similar.

In the end, I sold BWV, and got RIV and so far, no issues with getting SV rooms at the 11 month mark, IMO, owning there does give you the best chance but I do have other points to use to book PV if need be in years to come,

I am happy with my decision for sure and think the size of the rooms at RIV, if you are staying with 5 make it worth the points to be near two of the parks

Hello,
I am trying to figure out which resort to buy and direct vs resale. I will likely buy direct first and add on with resale. I have seen mentioned many times that the points charts are high at Riviera. I know it should be pretty easy to look at the charts and compare them but I am a little distracted by room occupancy and room category. For example - people love BWV and AKL Value studios and I believe consider them a good points value - BUT I have a family of 5 so that wont work for me. Also, I can't compare a 1 bedroom that sleeps 4 to one that sleeps 5. Has anyone done a chart or comparison between 1 bedrooms that sleep 5/studios that sleep 5, because it isn't "fair" to compare if the occupancy isn't the same. I will certainly look at this later and try to compare - just wondering if anyone already has. And all that being said, is it a better value for a family of 5 to buy poly, RIV, GF than a family of 4?

Thank You!!!!
It’s not “fair” to compare 1BRs to studios for a number of reasons. Occupancy restrictions are one reason.

1BR villas have full kitchens. Studios have a kitchenette and small refrigerator. There are no W/D in studios. Studios have a queen bed, 1BR villas have a king bed. There are two TVs in a 1BR and only 1 in a studio. There are a lot of amenities in a 1BR villa that add to their value and that’s why they are typically more than double the number of points as a studio at the same resort.

It’s not “fair” to compare 1BRs to studios for a number of reasons. Occupancy restrictions are one reason.

1BR villas have full kitchens. Studios have a kitchenette and small refrigerator. There are no W/D in studios. Studios have a queen bed, 1BR villas have a king bed. There are two TVs in a 1BR and only 1 in a studio. There are a lot of amenities in a 1BR villa that add to their value and that’s why they are typically more than double the number of points as a studio at the same resort.

Agree.

Given the length of the contracts, I would not recommend a family of 5 buy in with the expectation of squeezing into studios - that can work when the kids are young but it's not a great plan long term. Those pullout mini-twin "bunk size" beds seem awfully small to me.

AKV- Kidani standard 1BRs are a great value (2 bathrooms). BLT 1BRs also have 2 bathrooms and a great location. OKW 1BRs have nearly 1000 sq ft of space with sleeping spaces for 5, but only 1 bathroom and the end date issues can be a valid concern.

My intention was not to compare studios to 1 Beds - but to compare studios to studios with the same occupancy and 1 beds to 1 beds with the same occupancy. If a "cheaper' 1 bedroom only sleeps 4 it doesn't work for my family of 5 so it is not fair to say the points chart for that resort is "better" than another. I started thinking this way when comparing CCV and RIV - since CCV forces us into a 2 bedroom it just doesn't make sense. I was wondering how the resorts that sleep 5 compare with each other - as best as I can tell VGF is similar to RIV, AKL is better if you get a certain category. I need to take another look at the points charts. Thank you!!

My intention was not to compare studios to 1 Beds - but to compare studios to studios with the same occupancy and 1 beds to 1 beds with the same occupancy. If a "cheaper' 1 bedroom only sleeps 4 it doesn't work for my family of 5 so it is not fair to say the points chart for that resort is "better" than another. I started thinking this way when comparing CCV and RIV - since CCV forces us into a 2 bedroom it just doesn't make sense. I was wondering how the resorts that sleep 5 compare with each other - as best as I can tell VGF is similar to RIV, AKL is better if you get a certain category. I need to take another look at the points charts. Thank you!!
I guess that I misunderstood when you asked “Has anyone done a chart or comparison between 1 bedrooms that sleep 5/studios that sleep 5”?

BWV, BCV, and BRV all have studios that sleep 5. They have very generous points charts, especially the BWV standard view studios. Other than the BWV standard view studios, their points charts are nearly identical. In that respect, their points charts are “better” than other resorts that also sleep 5 in a studio.They also have contracts that expire in 2042, which isn’t a great selling point for young families.

Poly, VGF and RIV all sleep 5 in a studio but require more points per night. Poly studios tend to be available at 7 months when any owner can book there, so someone who has cheaper SSR points has a high likelihood of being able to book right at 7 months. VGF studios tend to get booked up by VGF owners before the 7-month mark. You kind of have to own there if you want to stay in a VGF studio. Most of RIV’s points still belong to the developer, so only a fraction of the studios are bookable on points right now.

AKV, BLT, CCV, SSR and OKW studios do not sleep 5.

I think room size is also important if you are cramming in 5 people to a studio room this has charts of Sq/Ft and Capacity. The exception is some 1BRs do sleep 5 like BCV/BWV but they require you bring your own bedding.

"https://www.dvc-rental.com/overview"

There are a bunch of charts out there with comparisons but honestly I just do things myself. That way you can account for your specific trips. Its easy to jot down your normal date and run it through the point requirement calculator to get a breakdown of the point requirement at all resorts.

"https://dvcrequest.com/dvc-guests/cost-calculator"

good references already posted by others, just to add ...

I think you already have these but the point charts can be found on the DVC website on under each resort's summary on DIS boards; I would recommend using the 2021 charts as they are the wave of the future ...

deluxe studio w/ 5 person occupancy (all have 5th sleeping surface)
BCV
BWV
BRV
PVB
RVA
VGF

one bedroom w/ 5 person occupancy (all have 5th sleeping surface)
AKV (standard, savanna, club; not value)​
BLT
OKW
RVA
VGF

one bedroom w/ 4+1 person occupancy (can book w/ 5 but no 5th sleeping surface)
BCV
BWV
BRV
SSR

here are some charts for absolute points per week and points relative to RVA that may help (I already had the RVA relative ones built but maybe not as useful for what you're looking at)

points required for one week per season w/ 5 person occupancy, 2021

points for one week per season w/ 5 person occupancy relative to RVA, 2021
WOW!!!!
Thank you!!!

good references already posted by others, just to add ...

I think you already have these but the point charts can be found on the DVC website on under each resort's summary on DIS boards; I would recommend using the 2021 charts as they are the wave of the future ...

deluxe studio w/ 5 person occupancy (all have 5th sleeping surface)
BCV
BWV
BRV
PVB
RVA
VGF

one bedroom w/ 5 person occupancy (all have 5th sleeping surface)
AKV (standard, savanna, club; not value)​
BLT
OKW
RVA
SSR (remodeled only)​
VGF

one bedroom w/ 4+1 person occupancy (can book w/ 5 but no 5th sleeping surface)
BCV
BWV
BRV
SSR (non-remodeled)​

here are some charts for absolute points per week and points relative to RVA that may help (I already had the RVA relative ones built but maybe not as useful for what you're looking at)

points required for one week per season w/ 5 person occupancy, 2021

points for one week per season w/ 5 person occupancy relative to RVA, 2021
Spotfire?

Hello,

Thank You!!!!

I have not done a full comparison of the point charts I only know the ones that are my homes. family of 5 I would not buy Poly just because of the studio only option. I love GF for the ability to walk to poly and the soon to be open walking path to MK. but GF does have a high point chart. I think RR point chart is similar to GF. If buying direct, RR might be a good initial purchase and you can stay in a studio that sleeps 5. As you add on you can reassess what your needs are and which resort makes the most sense. If you purchase RR direct you can mix those with your resale points to stay at any other resort. Maybe as you addon you bank your RR points to have 200 there every other year and use resale at BLT or GF or poly. I love the epcot side, and honestly, after thinking about it, would probably buy 100 RR if we were a young family for the epcot resort side and the years with it - but I would not buy alot of points there - that is just me. If you purchase RR direct, and you want to add on - maybe even consider which resort has the best bargain - SSR- or consider an MK resort add on (BLT, GF, CCV) or SSR to use as flex points to try different resorts at the seven month window. RR point chart is not as bad as I initially thought - higher than BW, BC, SSR, CCV and standard view BLT but lower than VGF.
One more thing I meant to add, in the 1 bedrooms that sleep 4 you are allowed to bring in an air mattress - or at least I was told this in the past - that even though it says four you are allowed to book up to five but diseny does not provide bedding.

I think RR point chart is similar to GF.

Riviera is actually lower. Always do 9 nights in October as a comparison as its a fairly middle point chart:

AKV - 125
CCV - 148
RIV Std - 161
VGF Std - 174
BLT Lake - 175 (BLT Std is the smallest category of any studio other than Value/Club at AKV at like 18% of rooms but would be 152)
Poly - 183

Is that easy to use if I am competent in Excel? Excel is not my primary task but I have to get my hands dirty at times. Also is it a replacement if I need things like vlookup, pivots, VBA?
Spotfire is more of a data analysis tool. It will take your data from excel (or any other data base) and make it very simple at making different graphs, charts, etc. But is still needs the raw data from an excel etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter