Points vs Vacation w/Free Dining

WithFaith50

Mouseketeer
All,

After excitedly telling my husband about the vacation I booked for us to take advantage of the Free Dining promotion, his response was "That's nice, but why not just use points & pay for dining as we go...wouldn't that be cheaper?"

Of course I wasn't going to take that without a fight!

Me: We've used up our 2005 points and part of our 2006 points for our 2-week December trip.

DH: Didn't you say that you where thinking about doing that add-on purchase before the price went up?

Me: Uh..yes?

DH: Well, what's the problem?

Now, how in the world do I tell him that I've already made tenative plans for those points... :rolleyes1 .

Me: Oh, let me run some numbers... ;) .

All jokes aside, if a person has the points available, which option is better? I know this should be a no brainer, but I turned 42 today and senility may be creeping in... :earboy2: .

WithFaith50

Since you'll likely pay full price for the rooms with the "free" dining package, you'll likely be better off with discount codes or points and pay as you go. Using the DDE or even just the discounts available to DVC and pass holders, you'll come out far ahead.

Wouldn't coming out ahead depend on where you chose to stay? Staying in a value or moderate during value season seems like a pretty good deal to me w/package...

I have been contemplating the same thing. Especially because we always eat in the room, not necessarily to budget, and I thought, WOW look at all the places I could try for free!

You do need a PIN Code to make these res (mousesavers), and the rooms are supposed to be "limited supply". The time period being offered doesn't interest me, I just want to buy the MYW dining, hopefully it's offered next. Think it would be difficult for those accustomed to 1 & 2 BR Villas to stay in a Value Resort for anything longer than a few days - there goes the neighborhood ;)

WithFaith50 said:
...*snip).... I know this should be a no brainer, but I turned 42 today and senility may be creeping in... :earboy2: .

WithFaith50
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cheer2: :cheer2:
The good news: Your "problem" has nothing to do with senility.

The bad news: The desire to spend all your time at WDW or planning a visit to WDW is a form of mental illness. You can treat the symptoms, but it is virtually impossible to cure without mega $$$$$$$. :teeth:

Best wishes -

IMO, "Package" = "Expensive". I have NEVER come across an all-inclusive package of any kind that is less costly, or even equal in cost, to purchasing separately. Let's face it, packages are geared toward those looking for convenience, and there is ALWAYS a premium paid for convenience.

As far as staying in a value or moderate vs. DVC resort, that's obviously comparing apples to oranges. Nevertheless, you could rent points, stay at a value or moderate, and have enough left over for dining, so the dining package still doesn't make sense IMO.

I think the other consideration is if you have park tickets or not.

I just ran the numbers. Currently we have no annual passes (sob, sob) so 6 days 5 night @ a value, with 2 adults, 2 juriors would cost $ 1268 using the package getting room, tickets and food; if I went for the same time period using points, even with of those nights not being weekend points only Sun to Fri; @ the OKW it's 100 points; I need park passes, no way would we buy anthing but Annual passes so that is a $1400 outlay and I figue at a minum $1,000 for food so that's $2400 outlay in cash; granted we'd have annual passes for another trip and we'd get the dde card also. With the package, I could also go on the week-end if I wanted as points would not be a consideration.

Given the choice, I think I'd go for the package in this case. Have to say it's a hard decision.

Mary Anne said:
I think the other consideration is if you have park tickets or not.

Here's the reservation info:

7 nights in September at Port Orleans - Riverside with 1 day base tickets per person (2 adults, 1 3-year old) with the Free Dining option. The total cost comes to $1226.64.

We plan on purchasing annual passes since we have a two-week trip in December. We will also be getting the DDE for our December trip. One of my "stumbling blocks" is the fact that we will be back at WDW (BWV/SSR) in Nov/Dec 2006 for two weeks so if I get our annual passes early for a Sept 2005 trip, they will expire before the Nov/Dec 2006 trip :confused3 .

Thank everyone for your input! :wave:

WithFaith50 :earsgirl:

What if you took the passes with this package and didn't start your annual passes until your Dec trip then you would have it for next Nov/Dec???

WithFaith50 said:
Here's the reservation info:

7 nights in September at Port Orleans - Riverside with 1 day base tickets per person (2 adults, 1 3-year old) with the Free Dining option. The total cost comes to $1226.64.

We plan on purchasing annual passes since we have a two-week trip in December. We will also be getting the DDE for our December trip. One of my "stumbling blocks" is the fact that we will be back at WDW (BWV/SSR) in Nov/Dec 2006 for two weeks so if I get our annual passes early for a Sept 2005 trip, they will expire before the Nov/Dec 2006 trip :confused3 .

Thank everyone for your input! :wave:

Sounds like getting the passes for 2 weeks usage is the best option. As for DDE, maybe you could order it RIGHT before your Sept trip and it MIGHT be good through Oct or evenNov, 2006 if your lucky. Even if not, you're going to get 3 weeks usage on it. You should be able to get PO for around $85 or so per night for Sept including Tax. With DDE most people can eat two sit downs for $35 per person per day for a week. It'll likely be better, cheaper and give you far more choices and flexibility. But it depends in part on how you use it, you should run the number appropriate for your style. Or you could do 2 separate resorts for that trip and get the package for only 3 or 4 days.

Then when it comes time for you passes to expire, you can decide what's best whether it be a renewal that will be good through around Sept, 2007, or a new pass that will expire around the end of Nov, 2007 or other tickets options such as a MYW pass. Another option is to get a longer (10 day) MYW pass for Sept this year and get the non expiry option. Then get a pass that will cover all your other mentioned trips. What's best depends on the length of your Nov/Dec, 2006 trip and how much experience you have with WDW. If you haven't been a lot, it's very likely you'll do LESS park time on the third trip in just over a year thus non AP options might be better/cheaper. And could you move up your 2006 trip to get it within a year from the Sept, 2005 trip?

So many choices. Planning is half the fun.

For what it is worth, I've now spent over 3 hours, running numbers, figuring out how to get the best use out of this package and what I'm really thinking about is to book the six nights with the package, then spending a few night in a DVC hotel using points, just relaxing and enjoying a 1 bedroom at the Beach Club which we've never stayed at. Heck my air fare is going to be the same no matter if I come back in 6 or 9 days and I've got points left over for this year that I was going to bank but I'd still have a pile to bank anyway :smooth:

I hope the original poster is happy, as it's all HER FAULT. :rotfl: My laundry isn't done, dinner dishs are in the sink but I've got a beautiful spreadsheet running all #'s and dvc points and how to get the best use out of all of it. I wasn't going to go at all this year but she's pointed out to me what a great deal I'd be passing up if I just stayed home :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now to sell my DH on this great deal.... : :goodvibes

:rotfl: You guys are absolutely wonderful! :rotfl:

Mary Anne...I know exactly what you mean...I've gotten nothing done today except for a ever-growing multi-tab spreadsheet!

Dean: Planning is half the fun! I hadn't even thought about your idea that "With DDE most people can eat two sit downs for $35 per person per day for a week." So it's back to the menu's & spreadsheet for me :teacher: .

WithFaith50 said:
:rotfl: You guys are absolutely wonderful! :rotfl:

Mary Anne...I know exactly what you mean...I've gotten nothing done today except for a ever-growing multi-tab spreadsheet!

Dean: Planning is half the fun! I hadn't even thought about your idea that "With DDE most people can eat two sit downs for $35 per person per day for a week." So it's back to the menu's & spreadsheet for me :teacher: .

And the best part is you actually have access to real info to make your decisions. You can look at the menus, even counter service and run the numbers. But if it's anywhere near break even, no way I'd go for the package. Besides, just like a buffet, it encourages one to overeat. I'm sure there are some out there that eat this way routinely and it might be worthwhile for them.

But for anyone that does decide on this dining option, I'd print out the current brochure so you can see if things change negatively down the road. I'm sure they give themselves the right to change it without notice but you can usually get them to honor changes that were not in your favor if you have documentation.

Mary Anne said:
...so 6 days 5 night @ a value, with 2 adults, 2 juriors would cost $ 1268 using the package...

...@ the OKW it's 100 points; I need park passes...

Just bear in mind that you're comparing a value resort to a deluxe. If one was happy with Value accommodations, there would have been no reason to buy into DVC to begin with, right? ;)

We would use points as we hardly ever eat outside the room anyhow. We almost always cook our own meals except for 1 CM per week and one off site meal per week.

We usually do eat a lot in but the deciding factor for us this trip is that we have no passes. We will not be back for at least a year and for $1300 we can get passes and food for 4 of us. To us that is what makes this a good deal. Normally, I would agree with many of you on how a package is not the best way to go but in this situation, it may work out in our advantage.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just posting an update. Earlier today, I spoke to my guide and made the down payment on an 120 point add-on at SSR :cool1: ! So, we won't be do the free dining offer. Now, I just got to hope that I can get reservations at BWV in September!

Thanks for all of your help! :grouphug:

Hello Everyone :wave2: ,

I resisted the lure of the free dining plan originally by doing a 120 point SSR add-on and booking an 8/28-9/4 BWV trip. Unfortunately :rotfl2: I succumbed to the lure of the latest free dining plan offer and was forced to book the following trip:

9/30-10/4
3 Adults & a 3 yr old
Port Orleans – Riverside
:teacher:
Package with free dining: $910
Airfare $702
Insurance $179
Total $1,791

We got 1-day park tickets with the understanding that we will be able to roll the cost of my kids’ tickets into their DVC discounted premium annual passes (which we had planned on buying anyway!).

I am now banned from planning anymore Disney trips this year :rolleyes1 . But that’s okay since we will also be going back to Disney 12/10-12/17 Saratoga (2-bedroom w/friends) & 12/17-12/23 (studio – DH, DS3, & me)!

Thanks for your attention :listen: !

WithFaith50 said:
I am now banned from planning anymore Disney trips this year :rolleyes1 . But that’s okay since we will also be going back to Disney 12/10-12/17 Saratoga (2-bedroom w/friends) & 12/17-12/23 (studio – DH, DS3, & me)!

This post had me in hysterics!! :laughing: :rotfl: :laughing:

Do I read four or five trips for the balance of this year??? You are making me look like an evil DH for only going on two trips to WDW this year...

(My wife is screaming add on points - please don't give her this kind of ammunition :sad2: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter