POLL: How many DIS are willing to pay to play Wizard101?

Will you pay to play Wizard 101?

• Yes, $9.95/month is reasonable

• No, $9.95/month is too much

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do any of you other Life wizards remember what level you were at when you got your Nature's Wrath spell? I'm thinking I was into Marleybone before I got mine, right before the wipe.
I just got mine at level 12.
You have to do the Golem Tower again to get it.
Was that part of a quest, or did you just initiate it yourself?
At 12 I was called in to see my teacher. There were several things beforehand, but ultimately it ended with doing Golem Tower. As I had not done Golem before I had to complete it 2 times! haha!!
Ok, to answer my earlier question, it is possible to level up and get training points with a free account, although it takes a long time without quests to complete.

I was so excited to finally make it to level 12 today, and just like Dreamytime said, I got the new Golem Tower quest from Professor Wu. Finished it and returned to her, only to have her tell me I had to take the parts to Kirby LongSpear to get them working properly. And guess where he lives? That's right, Colossus Blvd. So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard.

I wonder how brand new players are dealing with non-completable quests? :confused3

Ok, to answer my earlier question, it is possible to level up and get training points with a free account, although it takes a long time without quests to complete.

I was so excited to finally make it to level 12 today, and just like Dreamytime said, I got the new Golem Tower quest from Professor Wu. Finished it and returned to her, only to have her tell me I had to take the parts to Kirby LongSpear to get them working properly. And guess where he lives? That's right, Colossus Blvd. So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard.

I wonder how brand new players are dealing with non-completable quests? :confused3

If free accounts could trade, I would give you mine. I was lucky enough to get it before they shut everything down... It has been one of my favorite spells.

And that's my issue with what they are calling "free to play" is actually a "free trial". There are quite a few quests that cannot be completed in Wizard City. History Books, Clothing from Gloria, Dark Cave items for Triton quests. I don't see the reasoning behind not letting players have a free game that has an ending, as we know the Wizard City area does.
Open chat would be nice, as well. :rolleyes:

Oh gosh, I have to stop letting my kids play these games with me! They are so upset with me. There is no way I can justify or afford $180 for all 3 of us to play. I can't even justify $120 even though it is a wonderful game. I was so hoping for family accounts! My DS and DD just loved this game.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.:sad1:

Oh gosh, I have to stop letting my kids play these games with me! They are so upset with me. There is no way I can justify or afford $180 for all 3 of us to play. I can't even justify $120 even though it is a wonderful game. I was so hoping for family accounts! My DS and DD just loved this game.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.:sad1:

DS,DD?? I can't afford 1 account let alone 180 dollars!

Red, w101 did say there was a "family plan" coming soon. Hopefully this will help. :hug:

Well if they are working on such a thing, perhaps a little feedback they should consider people who already bought in will need a way to upgrade to this ;)

They probably already realize this, but lets get the word out that many of the people who bought in fit into 3 categories

1> they bought more than 1 account (they should get a kick back)
2> maybe they are currently taking turns rather than playing but would like to move from a straight annual to family annual at a fair rate considering the annual was already purchased
3> maybe they didnt buy at all and its a result of not having a family option because the current method was just too expensive

There is going to be a bit of uproar if a family account comes out for those people who bought multiple accounts already if they don't see that addressed. Hopefully they can nip this issue in the bud.

Red, w101 did say there was a "family plan" coming soon. Hopefully this will help. :hug:

I wish they could give us more specifics on this now. :confused:

Yes that would have been preferred. If there is a 'family plan' coming, what about all of us who have signed up for 1 year x 2 x $60 ($120). (or 3 at $180, 4 at $240 and so on...)

Are they going to give refunds for the amounts overpaid, if we do in fact over pay.

If the family plan isn't less than $60/each then how can a family of 4 justify paying $320 for 1 year of this game?

Lucky for me I only have to purchase 1 plan, but my nephew and now his brother are wanting to play. I can't imagine my brother paying $160 for this game as they are awaiting mid-term grades before signing them up.

I know that they are in line with the other online games, and maybe I just personally have an issue paying for something that has no intrinsic value. :) (In other words I am cheap... :P but I prefer the word Frugal!!)

(Sry Lava-Boy, you must have typed a bit quicker than I....well that and yours is a bit more concise...more circumspect... oh, doo-doo, should I delete my post!?!? hehe)

...So no Nature's Wrath spell for this Life wizard...
For any enemy encountered with a free account (except for maybe in the duel arena) Nature's Wrath would probably be overkill anyway.

However there is a way to get it (and much more) for just $5. It's limitations are that you have to be at least level 10 to use it and you will only get 1 spell per fight.

As you might have guessed from the above Professor Zeke in Wizard City has Master's Slippers of Wrath (boots) that include this spell. They cost 720 crowns (in any colors) and also include +30 health, +1% attack, and +4% shield.

Since you can get 2500 crowns for $5. you could get these and probably a coat and hat also.

(Sry Lava-Boy, you must have typed a bit quicker than I....well that and yours is a bit more concise...more circumspect... oh, doo-doo, should I delete my post!?!? hehe)

no dont delete it LOL Wizard will appreciate the feedback :thumbsup2

Just wanted to mention I received this response to the multiple account issue

It does indeed look like they are evaluating how best to handle this, kudos for that btw to kingisle

Hello there,

Right now the plan is that if you want to be able to play on separate accounts you will have to pay for each subscription. If I were you I would keep your eye on the web site in the next day or so because my crystal ball tells me that there might be some more information about family subscriptions in the works.

Thank you,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts

Just wanted to mention I received this response to the multiple account issue

It does indeed look like they are evaluating how best to handle this, kudos for that btw to kingisle

So good to know. Though hubby and I signed up our older son plays has started to play.

So it would be nice to have a family plan of some sort. I just wish they had really taken a look at the family aspect of the game. It is bigger than most I think. Our family would never play toontown together but for some reason Wizard101 seems to grab everyone's attention. Looking forward to see what is happening :)

Heck even being able to buy crowns to be able to unlock an area would work.

Oh and we should all send thank you notes to Disney. Saying if they had not closed VMK we would never have found such a family friendly fun game :)

I never did get any response to any of my letters:)

I for one am having so much fun playing with hubby (since he rarely played VMK) We actually have something in common now :)

Also if they created a good family account I can see it over-taking toontown some day :)

Oh and we should all send thank you notes to Disney. Saying if they had not closed VMK we would never have found such a family friendly fun game :)

I never did get any response to any of my letters:)

I for one am having so much fun playing with hubby (since he rarely played VMK) We actually have something in common now :)

Also if they created a good family account I can see it over-taking toontown some day :)

I think sending Disney thank you notes is an awesome idea. :lmao:

The fact that families could play together no matter where they were was just one of the appealing factors of VMK. My husband didn't like VMK at all and isn't interested in TT. He is Alejandro Fireblood on Wizard 101. Just the fact that they are considering some kind of family account option tells me that they are more receptive to families than Disney Online is. Way to go KingsIsle . :cheer2:

yay! :thumbsup2 if we can get a family account I will definitely pay! We really liked playing this game together - may I even say - *gasp* more than VMK?

And that's my issue with what they are calling "free to play" is actually a "free trial"..... I don't see the reasoning behind not letting players have a free game that has an ending, as we know the Wizard City area does.
I don't understand how KingsIsle is the villain here. For one thing, they didn't have to make any content available for free after launch.

Of course it's a free trial. Its purpose is to entice people to subscribe to the full game. So what if they don't call it that? Online game free trials typically have a time-limit. Check out Yahoo Games, for example. You can download and play free trials there that end after an hour. Since W101 is not limited by time, the "free trial" period need never end. So why must they call it that?

And why should they give away a "free game that has an ending"? That makes absolutely no business sense to me. {"Oh, goody! I got to the ending of this part of the story without having to pay anything! Guess I'm done."} They made the game to (hopefully) make money. It wasn't designed as a "promotion".

True, KingsIsle's business interests might be better served by showing more content than just Unicorn Way and Triton. (Personally, I might have opened Cyclops and Firecat, instead of Triton.) BUT that is the business decision they have made. They were under no obligation to you, me, or anyone else to do otherwise.

FWIW, PotCO and TT also say they are "free to play" -- yet they severely limit you to only a few areas, levels, equipment, quests, etc. (I know that PotCO also makes you play in a window with advertisements running around the frame!) And just like those games, people will check out the free play on W101 and decide whether or not they are interested enough to pay for the full version. If not, they will move on.

Woo Hoo! TY KingsIsle for working on a family plan. I'm "riding the fence" on whether to pay for two $60/year plans for my son and me. I would, however, buy a family plan if it costs less than $120/year.

I hope to see a family plan offered before the deadline on the $60/year deal.

ETA: My son tried VMK but it wasn't a long-term thing for him, like it was for me. I can't say enough how happy I am that W101 is a game that we both like to play! Together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter