Poll - Will your kids get the Covid vaccine?

Will you get your 12-15 year old kids vaccinated for Covid?

• Yes - ASAP

Votes: 196 68.3%
  • No - Never

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • Possibly in the future (once it is fully approved)

Votes: 51 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I've learned anything this year, it's to not rely on what has gone before to what will go now. Schools never shut before...and that fact alone is gonna lead to a LOT of changes in many places.
That is a fair statement. I really don't see it changing for my school district because I know how the majority of parents think here, but other school districts in larger cities could change. It is going to be interesting to see what happens for sure.

I thought this thread was a simple question and answer thread. I didn’t realize I’d have to explain myself to someone who disagrees with how I raise my kids.
I am home schooling because, as evidenced by some posts, the public school system in this country is a resounding failure. As for the rest, freedom always finds a way. I’ll find the 50 percent of like minded parents and let my kids freely associate with them and spread germs like they have from the dawn of mankind.
It's only a simple question and answer thread if you are getting the vaccine. I found that out quickly on several threads...lol.

And what if it's required for school? Travel? Summer activities? Planning to keep them home forever?
As of right now, only private companies can legally require it. Now at some point that may change once it's officially approved, but for now the government cannot require it.

Not sure my view fits any of the options.

I am more pearly for my kids than for myself. I suspect they will eventually get it, but I am not in the rush like I was for myself. My oldest is just now 12 and would just qualify and just a bit more hesitant with any new vaccine for someone still developing when not years and years of experience to see.

Like I said, I suspect I will likely eventually get comfortable enough with it (after conversations with pediatrician, etc) but not in a super rush / asap position

I am not sure. I was vaccinated early on in Jan/Feb bc of my job. However, we have had very few cases around me and none at our school since before christmas. So we are not in a huge rush, but my kids are too young at this point (9 and 7). If we were in an area with a lot of cases I may feel differently.

I’ve been working our local vaccine clinic since January and have been trying to get my 15 year old in (under the radar) every time we have an extra dose at the end of the day. He will be vaccinated ASAP. I tried getting him into the Moderna clinical trial but they filled quickly.
My 10 year old will also be vaccinated as soon as allowed.
I’m a nurse and can tell you with all of my being I’ve had enough.

My son is 11, turning 12 in December. I am very happy Canada has approved Pfizer for use in 12 - 15 year olds. I am sure it's actual age but I do wish it was by year of birth since then he'd be able to get it sooner than later. Hopefully by fall though. He is also anxious to get it.

My son is 11, turning 12 in December. I am very happy Canada has approved Pfizer for use in 12 - 15 year olds. I am sure it's actual age but I do wish it was by year of birth since then he'd be able to get it sooner than later. Hopefully by fall though. He is also anxious to get it.
Maybe it will be by year of birth. My son was 17 when he got his shot for 18 plus.

DS 17 has had both shots. He has in person graduation coming up at the end of May so we wanted him Vaccinated. DD 15 will get hers as soon as possible, she has dance performances coming up. DH and I just want to feel our kids can be out in a group and be ok.

My 16 YO son is getting his 2nd Pfizer dose on Saturday, and if it is approved, my 14 YO daughter will get it, although I'll probably check in again with the pediatrician to make sure they are recommending it for their patients in this age-range (they are a vaccination site, so I'm guessing yes).

I live in a small but densely populated town that was hit early and fairly hard by the pandemic. About 1 in 12 people in my town have had covid, although not sure where that fits with the national average. The school system - open hybrid since October, then full time in April, tracks cases and contact tracing efforts. Back in the early winter, the school nursing staff said that pediatric cases counted for about 20% of our town's cases, but since then we've had two large outbreaks so not sure what the percentages would be now. Other than the larger outbreaks, it's usually a few cases per week. For April, there have been 18 cases and 177 kids followed. I've known lots of kids that have had it, and it has ranged from minimal issues to severely sick and/or symptoms months after infection.

In some ways I feel a little bit of an ethical struggle. We appear to have a surplus and are in a position to vaccinate younger children, when there are places in the world that have greater demand for their healthcare workers and more vulnerable populations at this point. There definitely seems to be an emerging ethical debate about it from what I read/hear from public health professionals. However some say that younger people, including kids, are driving the spread more at this point, and I can say that is true from personal observation in my community. Both my kids have some minor underlying conditions so I will go ahead.

Before I read this thread I was thinking about it with respect to school...there were a couple of cases in my daughter's middle school this week - not unusual. One student was in her music class so half of the class is now in quarantine. My daughter is not because it's held in a large theater room and the far side was not determined to be a close contact. Anyway, her friend - the son of an old friend - has to quarantine and it is the 3rd time this winter he has had to do so. I'm wondering as things evolve if a student is vaccinated it will lessen the quarantine restrictions, like it does in my state with travel/quarantine restrictions. So not regarding being able to attend, but more if a case is identified and isolated, students being able to continue school and extracurricular activities. Who knows...

Definitely. He turns 2 in December and I'm hoping the approval for 2+ comes this fall. We will make sure he gets it ASAP.

In some ways I feel a little bit of an ethical struggle. We appear to have a surplus and are in a position to vaccinate younger children, when there are places in the world that have greater demand for their healthcare workers and more vulnerable populations at this point. There definitely seems to be an emerging ethical debate about it from what I read/hear from public health professionals. However some say that younger people, including kids, are driving the spread more at this point, and I can say that is true from personal observation in my community. Both my kids have some minor underlying conditions so I will go ahead.
I definitely understand the ethical struggle. But I also feel that this is sort of a case of "put on your oxygen mask first." Like you said, kids are driving spread now. Couple that with the vaccine hesitancy in this country, and vaccinating the kids of willing parents is our best hope to get to something approaching herd immunity. Which as you know creates a bubble around those who can't medically get vaccinated or don't develop a full immune response. So if we don't vaccinate the kids, and we instead send those doses to other countries, we risk another massive surge here, which doesn't help us or the world. I believe we should keep buying doses, vaccinate the kids, and then send doses to other parts of the world. I've heard some experts say something similar, though there is certainly a debate. I'm glad you've chosen to vaccinate your kids.

Yes! I have 11, 14, and 15 year olds. We will get them all vaccinated as soon as we possibly can. Our 15 year old is the first priority - he's starting a summer job soon. I'm hoping he can get vaccinated next week if it's approved and that I can get him the J&J vaccine so he'll be fully vaccinated by the time he starts working.
It's just Pfizer for now. Moderna is in trials and I've not heard anything about J and J. Moderna is also in trial for 6-20 months old, 2-5 years old, and 6-11 years old as well. Not sure about either of the others in that regard. I'd guess they are but don't hold me to that.

Last edited:
Husband and I are vaccinated and we will not be getting our boys (age 12) vaccinated any time soon.

Those citing kids who had covid and 6mo later have seizures or some other random issue - would you say the seizures had been caused by the vaccine if it had been the vaccine they’d had 6mo earlier instead of the virus? I’m guessing the answer is no. I’m sure that the response will be “There’s no way a vaccine could cause that.” Well I’m sure that doctors and scientists thought there was no way a vaccine could cause a rare blood clot either.

I do not believe that there are as many cases of long term side effects as they are currently proclaiming. Some? Absolutely. However, many things are being found simply because people are now LOOKING for symptoms of ANYTHING once they’ve had Covid. There is zero proof that all of it has actually been caused by the virus.

As for the risk of covid to a healthy child... any research will show you that the vast majority of serious cases have been in kids who had pre-existing conditions.

Finally, there are literally 5 cases in my town right now. Single or low double-digits in all the surrounding towns. I’m just not seeing a risk/cost benefit here.

Husband and I are vaccinated and we will not be getting our boys (age 12) vaccinated any time soon.

Those citing kids who had covid and 6mo later have seizures or some other random issue - would you say the seizures had been caused by the vaccine if it had been the vaccine they’d had 6mo earlier instead of the virus? I’m guessing the answer is no. I’m sure that the response will be “There’s no way a vaccine could cause that.” Well I’m sure that doctors and scientists thought there was no way a vaccine could cause a rare blood clot either.

I do not believe that there are as many cases of long term side effects as they are currently proclaiming. Some? Absolutely. However, many things are being found simply because people are now LOOKING for symptoms of ANYTHING once they’ve had Covid. There is zero proof that all of it has actually been caused by the virus.

As for the risk of covid to a healthy child... any research will show you that the vast majority of serious cases have been in kids who had pre-existing conditions.

Finally, there are literally 5 cases in my town right now. Single or low double-digits in all the surrounding towns. I’m just not seeing a risk/cost benefit here.
Do you have a peer reviewed study to back up your claims there is zero proof they are tied together? I'd be interested in reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter