Poly Tower decision and RIV restrictions

Booking issues are to be expected with every DVC association.

What I am talking about by capacity is Polynesian resort property overall. People do not seem to understand, once tower opens the Polynesian (DVC + hotel) will have a maximum occupancy just under SSR. On top of that, there are thousands of day visitors to the Polynesian resort for meals, drinks, etc. Prior to tower, there were already problems with things at Polynesian. Tower does appear to add a quick service restaurant and a quiet pool. However, this doesn't solve problems with only one feature pool (slide for kids), table service meals will have even more competition, worst of all may be transportation.

People who own at VGF have also pointing out the monorail problems caused by the tower addition because the resort monorail stops at Polynesian first. Also, at present Polynesian and VGF share buses most of the time with Polynesian being the first stop.
I am assuming they anticipated the transportation problem and tried mitigating it somewhat by closing off monorail access to Shades of Green.

I think DVC will revisit the resale restrictions. RIV should have been sold out by now. It is a beautiful resort. The restrictions have kept many away. I will only buy it on resale - and not even sure about that. What i can see DVC doing is revisiting how the restrictions work. Seeing how they are all about the bottom line, I bet they may institute some sort of change fee to exchange within hte system for future resale buyers (including RIV)

I am assuming they anticipated the transportation problem and tried mitigating it somewhat by closing off monorail access to
Not sure what their access is.Do they have a shuttle from SOG to the monorail that they plan to stop providing?

How do they close it off? At the street crossing?
I think pedestrian access was closed due to construction, but I don't think that's a permanent thing. And anybody who can physically get to the Poly can catch the monorail there.

(It's not like the old days, when Disney would nickle-and-dime people by charging for every ride, even the monorail, to squeeze every last penny out of their guests)

Time from timeshare license granted until opening date for several resorts.
CFW had the shortest gap of VGF (276), PVB (303), CCV (314), Riviera (517), VGF BPK (339), VDH (419), and CFW (255) days.

If tower opens November 1, 255 days beforehand would be February 20, 2024.
If tower opens December 1, 255 days beforehand would be March 21, 2024.

Time from timeshare license granted until opening date for several resorts.
CFW had the shortest gap of VGF (276), PVB (303), CCV (314), Riviera (517), VGF BPK (339), VDH (419), and CFW (255) days.

If tower opens November 1, 255 days beforehand would be February 20, 2024.
If tower opens December 1, 255 days beforehand would be March 21, 2024.
Timeshare license should be coming soon. 👍

I think pedestrian access was closed due to construction, but I don't think that's a permanent thing. And anybody who can physically get to the Poly can catch the monorail there.

(It's not like the old days, when Disney would nickle-and-dime people by charging for every ride, even the monorail, to squeeze every last penny out of their guests)
From what I have heard and read, the plan is to close access permanently. Granted, this may change with the change from Reedy Creek to CFTOD. Shades of Green has even put it out to guests that they are increasing bus capacity to the TTC. As a veteran, this is a pretty big bummer, because I had planned on staying at Shades of Green and will not entertain that as an option now. However, I also understand that this is a business and am empathetic with Poly Guests that the monorail access they pay a very hefty premium for was wide open to another resort. I also understand that all guests are allowed to use the Resort Monorail Line, but it appears Disney put in a significant hurdle for Shades of Green guests.

From what I have heard and read, the plan is to close access permanently. Granted, this may change with the change from Reedy Creek to CFTOD. Shades of Green has even put it out to guests that they are increasing bus capacity to the TTC. As a veteran, this is a pretty big bummer, because I had planned on staying at Shades of Green and will not entertain that as an option now. However, I also understand that this is a business and am empathetic with Poly Guests that the monorail access they pay a very hefty premium for was wide open to another resort. I also understand that all guests are allowed to use the Resort Monorail Line, but it appears Disney put in a significant hurdle for Shades of Green guests.
If that pans out, it's very disappointing. I've stayed at SoG a few times with my Dad (USN, retired), and really enjoyed being able to walk over to the Poly for tonga toast, or to catch the monorail/launch to MK. I get it... but it sucks.

If that pans out, it's very disappointing. I've stayed at SoG a few times with my Dad (USN, retired), and really enjoyed being able to walk over to the Poly for tonga toast, or to catch the monorail/launch to MK. I get it... but it sucks.

yes but … as someone who owns VGF and POLY, my personal preference would be to see them restrict access to the resort monorail line the same way that they restrict parking at the resorts. A hotel/DVC reservation or the two hour window prior to a confirmed dining reservation. Then add to that SOG confirmed reservations. If you’ve served our country, you certainly deserve space on the monorail. Poly is a beautiful resort (even if some find it tacky) and it’s wonderful to share it with everyone - but the folks that are coming over to wander around and kill time are adding to the overcrowding. Poly is open to everyone, but some folks may need to take a bus over, so those with reservations can fully enjoy their experience.

Last edited:
Yes but

yes but … as someone who owns VGF and POLY, my personal preference would be to see them restrict access to the resort monorail line the same way that they restrict parking at the resorts. A hotel/DVC reservation or the two hour window prior to a confirmed dining reservation. Then add to that SOG confirmed reservations. If you’ve served our country, you certainly deserve space on the monorail. Poly is a beautiful resort (even if some find it tacky) and it’s wonderful to share it with everyone - but the folks that are coming over to wander around and kill time are adding to the overcrowding. Poly is open to everyone, but some folks may need to take a bus over, so those with reservations can fully enjoy their experience.
I own at PVB too, and stay there 90% of the time. Heading back in August, and then again in January. I've often lamented that they don't, like, set half of the Trader Sams's slots aside for hotel guests. I get it!

That said, I think SoG are a drop in the bucket compared to folks who walk over from the TTC, MK, or another monorail resort. When I've stayed at SoG and walked over to the Poly for breakfast, we were usually the only party making that trek, whereas the lines to board a bus at SoG were quite busy.

I could be wrong, and there could be data that contradicts my anecdotal experience, but while Poly crowding is a problem, crowding from SoG guests doesn't seem like the root cause.

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited:
Re: SoG and the crossing closure,

They didn’t just close pedestrian ways for the tower construction, though that’s part of it. They’re also continuing to extend the ‘highway’ portion of Floridian Way past where the new tower will be, and curving west around the parking lot that’s across from the Grand Floridian.

Disney’s always been a bit restrictive on walkways and active transportation on their property, and one thing they don’t do a lot of is having pedestrian under-or-overpasses of their main arteries. Maybe they could build a DS style pedestrian bridge once it’s all done. Or maybe they won’t. DS is the only one like that I can think of.

Will the SoG walking path to Poly reopen? Isn’t the road it crosses changing from 2 lanes to 4 lanes? It’s more risky with busses and passing lanes. Easy to imagine a scenario where a bus slows down for walkers and some car in a hurry whips around to pass. A pedestrian bridge would be nice. Or they’ll just keep using the shuttles.

Will the SoG walking path to Poly reopen? Isn’t the road it crosses changing from 2 lanes to 4 lanes? It’s more risky with busses and passing lanes. Easy to imagine a scenario where a bus slows down for walkers and some car in a hurry whips around to pass. A pedestrian bridge would be nice. Or they’ll just keep using the shuttles.
I believe Disney has indicated the pathway is permanently removed.

This popped up today and I just have this little nagging feeling that we might just see "The Tower at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - A Disney Vacation Club Resort" .... the suspense is killing me .. haha

Attachments

• 428326693_10228982443939498_8304215989614028496_n.jpg
    428326693_10228982443939498_8304215989614028496_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
This popped up today and I just have this little nagging feeling that we might just see "The Tower at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - A Disney Vacation Club Resort" .... the suspense is killing me .. haha

The different DVC people I talked to this week at the resorts,,,RIV and Poly…seemed to think it would be summer before we get any new info.

I think DVC will revisit the resale restrictions. RIV should have been sold out by now. It is a beautiful resort. The restrictions have kept many away. I will only buy it on resale - and not even sure about that. What i can see DVC doing is revisiting how the restrictions work. Seeing how they are all about the bottom line, I bet they may institute some sort of change fee to exchange within hte system for future resale buyers (including RIV)
They could fix the restrictions issue by making it only apply to resale only (white card) members. If you are a blue card holder, no restrictions on RIV resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter