Pop or all stars for Christmas break trip?

Lfgw9206

Earning My Ears
Ok we have been crunching numbers ALoT lately!

I’m assuming there will zero room discounts for when we are going. Planning on Dec 27/28-Jan 4/5 range. I keep running all the numbers. At first we were deciding between CBR and POP, with the number difference we then landed on POP.

We are a family of 5, older kids. 21,17 and 13. So we need 2 rooms.

The price difference in 6 nights, all star to POp is around $1000. Which is in the budget. I originally thought POP due to skylines, but read mixed reviews on that. People saying lines can be crazy. And since we will be there the busiest week of the year, would we be better at one of the all stars?

This is sooo hard to decide!!!

I always choose Pop. Yes, the Skyliner line is long first thing in the morning but it moves pretty quickly. I don't think I have ever waited more than 20-25 minutes for it in the morning. And for me, that is almost always faster than a bus. But - have you looked at a family suite at the All-Stars? That could keep you from 2 rooms and might save money.

If you're going to depend on Disney Transportation, I'd go POP over the all stars. If you're going to drive yourself to the parks I'd go All Stars. The difference between the rooms is negligible, All Stars are not as large so you're not that far from things in a non-preferred room. It can be a slog from the outer buildings at POP. FWIW, I loved the Skyliner when I got to use it in 2019. It was the favorite ride of my Mother and my then 7 year old son.

We're not big Skyliner fans, but in your situation it makes so much more sense. The weather late December should be pretty dependable to avoid the occasional shutdown of Skyliner. To be honest, transportation lines around Christmas will be a challenge no matter which mode it is - Skyliner, bus, monorail, boat.... at least Skyliner is fairly constant motion and moves people along pretty well.

Never stayed at either resort but transport option availability is always at the top of the my list in choosing resorts. I’d choose POP knowing only that it is Skyliner friendly.

Look at it this way: if you use your car internally you’ll read a lot of stories about how crowded the parking lots and roads are.
Everything and place is going to be crowded to some degree no matter what you do; it’s the season.

If you can swing it financially I would say Pop for sure but, $1,000 is a lot of money so do what is best for you.

For our family (who travels on a budget) it's worth budgeting more to stay at Pop due to Skyliner. Have stayed there many times since the Skyliner opened and it is a game changer! Well worth finding the extra $$ to stay there. Lines have never been a problem, even when rope dropping. There are long bus lines at all resorts at park opening and I would 100% take a skyliner line over any bus line.

Pop. The lines look long at crunch times so people take pictures and spread panic but that line moves. The Skyliner is a constantly loading system so it’s more a line of slow walking. Nicer transport than a bus to me as everyone gets a seat and has breathing space in front of them.

I was helping a friend plan their trip and they were having this same dilemma, All stars vs PoP. The rooms themselves, pool, food court, etc are carbon copies so you are paying $1000 for the skyliner access. Would you rather spend that the skyliner or lightning lanes or a nice meal, dessert parties, etc? It all comes down to what's most important to you. My friend has small kids and it's their first trip so they decided all stars and do a couple character meals and LL instead.

I love POP but $1000 could go a long way towards food, Genie+ and $ILL (especially that time of year) and extras. Rooms are the same size as POP and have all been renovated more recently than POP. Sports was the most recent renovation.

$1000 is a lot of money. You could use some of that for daily Ubers which would be way faster than any Disney transportation.

$1000 is a lot of money. You could use some of that for daily Ubers which would be way faster than any Disney transportation.
Just pointing out that during the holiday season buses, private cars and taxis, all get stuck in the same traffic. We ate most of our dinners at DS to avoid the walking crowds in the parks. Took a non-stop bus from Crescent Lake to DS and once were late by almost an hour for our reservation (normally about 15 minutes). Fortunately, many many other people were late too and they were able to seat us.

Just pointing out that during the holiday season buses, private cars and taxis, all get stuck in the same traffic. We ate most of our dinners at DS to avoid the walking crowds in the parks. Took a non-stop bus from Crescent Lake to DS and once were late by almost an hour for our reservation (normally about 15 minutes). Fortunately, many many other people were late too and they were able to seat us.
Yep. I agree. I’d avoid Ubers or driving my own car that week. DW transportation is definitely the way to travel. Buses are plentiful over the Christmas break. They tend to come more frequently and it’s relatively quick and easy to get around on them.

I've stayed at both resorts and the rooms/amenities are identical. The parks are going to be packed, so be prepared. I'd be less concerned with transportation lines and more worried about how much theme park time we'd spend standing in line, waiting waiting waiting to get on attractions, and how many attractions we wouldn't see due to the time constraints. I'd stay at AllStars (Music is my favorite but if you stay in the MightyDucks section at Movies, it's a close walk to the Music food court, as well as Movies, for a little variety) and save the $1000 for Genie+ and ILL. I am not a fan of either (why give MORE money to the Mouse) but at that time of year, not having to wait in attraction lines will be a priority.

I'd save the $1,000 for Genie+ and ILL$ and stay at the All Stars. At that time of year, as other posters have said, you'll need all the help you can get with ride queues, and G+ is pretty much a necessity. At that time of year, G+ could easily cost $30 per person per day . . . or more.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that looking into an All Stars suite might also be an option.

The family suites at All Stars Music are great and worth considering if you decide to forgo Pop. The times that I've looked they haven't been cheaper vs two rooms, but you get a microwave and a real refrigerator/freezer. It's also nice to have (when the living room beds are up) a four-seat table and a couch. The suites are in the four buildings closest to the front. We were in building 1- easy to scoot right around the outside of the lobby building and to the bus stop. The only downside I see vs two rooms (and I'm sure it could be a deal breaker for some groups) is three beds vs four.

Last edited:
FYI, last Christmas and this past spring break G+ was at $39 per person, I would not be surprised if it will be a few dollars higher during Christmas/New Years.

FYI, last Christmas and this past spring break G+ was at $39 per person, I would not be surprised if it will be a few dollars higher during Christmas/New Years.
Even more of a reason to stay at the All Stars.

Although, I believe that the single-park G+, at least for DAK, wasn't that high. But it wasn't cheap, either.

The family suites at All Stars Music are great and worth considering if you decide to forgo Pop. The times that I've looked they haven't been cheaper vs two rooms, but you get a microwave and a real refrigerator/freezer. It's also nice to have (when the living room beds are up) a four-seat table and a couch. The suites are in the four buildings closest to the front. We were in building 1- easy to scoot right around the outside of the lobby building and to the bus stop. The only downside I see vs two rooms (and I'm sure it could be a deal breaker for some groups) is three beds vs four.

Yeah I think this could work well in a comparison to Pop.

Pop’s big advantage is the skyliner to 2 parks.

If ASMusic family suite saves $100+ a night that could buy ubers instead, and still save money. Plus the more functional room.

I just got back from ASSports and the room was very nice. The buses were good as well.

I'd save the money and use it on G+ which you are going to need during the holidays if you want to get on the popular rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter