Portable Grab Bar Recommendations

Evita_W

DIS Veteran
PT recommends that we put grabs in the shower for me, but it wouldn't be practical to get the landlord to put them in for various reasons.

I have seen some people on here post that they
bring portable Grab bars to the resorts when they stay in a non accessible room, I am wondering if some are better than others and which ones people recommend?

There are grab bars that attach by suction cup. We tried to use them for my father but our shower surround is textured and it wouldn't work at all. So it may depend on your bathroom/shower walls. If there is any texture or it's small tiles, the suction won't hold. It must fit fully within a larger tile (not crossing the grout lines). Even then, I have seen some reports of the suction giving out, so YMMV.

I was wondering this same thing. DH and I have this ongoing feud about the safety of portable grab bars. I'm tempted to just get some and see if he notices. But I want to get some with good reviews.

I had. TKR last year and purchased a shower chair that came with the portable bar. The physical therapist from the VNA did not recommend that I use it. My shower is regular tile/tub combo, and I also have a landlord who would never install one permanently.

There are products - like this one - that claim to help adhere suction cups to bath/shower walls with a 3M adhesive.

Personally, I'm only going to trust a product that 3M is willing to put their name on. For lots of reasons, but primarily this one: 3M (ok, most likely their lawyers) knows that there is a very real possibility of someone getting hurt really badly if that adhesive lets go at the wrong moment. Even if you didn't use it for anything other than hanging up a little shower shelf; if that fell and was fully loaded, it could genuinely hurt your foot, possibly even break a bone or two. Imagine what might happen if you grabbed a shower bar that was placed with an inferior product; you could be hurt very very badly. 😟

There are times when Amazon (and all the places that sell similar products) is amazing; we can get products that are clearly knock-offs of the name brand (and might even be manufactured right along side the name brand) for a significant reduction in price.

But when it comes to safety, please always err on the side of caution. You can fix or replace tile in a bathroom, but you are precious and unique in all the world. ❤️

For the very reasons you mention, I that I would prefer to avoid the suction cups and mount it directly, after all in this case, don't need them to be portable, just need them to be sturdy.

Just trying to get good recommendations, again for the very valid safety concerns

I didn't say mounting that way, I said with adhesive, we can't drill into the wall or shower.

It sounds like wall-mounted is not going to be an option at all; anything sturdy enough for safety would have to be mounted into studs. Honestly, I wouldn’t even trust construction adhesive; it could possibly fail, pulling the tile off the wall, and injuring one of y’all in the process.

As far as I know, that leaves this option: Drive Medical Handicap Grab Bar This style is somewhat infamous at our house; we have never been able to find one that grips well enough that it is safe. However, we do not have porcelain over steel enameled tubs; our tubs have curved walls that slope inside the tub - so while they look very pretty, they stink at holding one of these in place.

There is also this - although again, please proceed with caution: The Rock Steady Cane I use this when I travel, and the grab bars are on the wrong side of the toilet in my hotel room. It’s not perfect, but I can make it work. I have also been known to take it into the shower when things are on the wrong side - but I only use it there when I have a helper.

This is the last thing I can find: The Stander Security Pole. It is a tension spring mounted bar; how well it works I have no idea.

I imagine you are already familiar with sliding transfer benches; those are a safer way to get in and out of the tub, and most of them can be turned to store inside the tub when not showering. (I have to use one of those when I visit our daughter’s house).

I hope you figure out a solution that works for you!

It sounds like wall-mounted is not going to be an option at all; anything sturdy enough for safety would have to be mounted into studs. Honestly, I wouldn’t even trust construction adhesive; it could possibly fail, pulling the tile off the wall, and injuring one of y’all in the process.

As far as I know, that leaves this option: Drive Medical Handicap Grab Bar This style is somewhat infamous at our house; we have never been able to find one that grips well enough that it is safe. However, we do not have porcelain over steel enameled tubs; our tubs have curved walls that slope inside the tub - so while they look very pretty, they stink at holding one of these in place.

There is also this - although again, please proceed with caution: The Rock Steady Cane I use this when I travel, and the grab bars are on the wrong side of the toilet in my hotel room. It’s not perfect, but I can make it work. I have also been known to take it into the shower when things are on the wrong side - but I only use it there when I have a helper.

This is the last thing I can find: The Stander Security Pole. It is a tension spring mounted bar; how well it works I have no idea.

I imagine you are already familiar with sliding transfer benches; those are a safer way to get in and out of the tub, and most of them can be turned to store inside the tub when not showering. (I have to use one of those when I visit our daughter’s house).

I hope you figure out a solution that works for you!
Sorry for the long delay in replying, I think you solved my issue with the Drive Medical one, that actually looks perfect for our style of tub, although I think I would get the adjustable one for a few dollars more just for options for both DH and I should he ever need it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter