Portofino Bay stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by kathy387
We were in love with the Poly until our last trip there (carpeting was soaking wet, manager at Cptn Cooks stopping short of calling my husband a liar about an order that they messed up and never apologizing,

I don't think your experience at the POLY is typical of the property BUT I don't doubt for a minute what you're saying actually happened to you. I don't mind people talking about good (or bad) experiences as long as they are fair and accurate.

Re-read milesmon1 original post. She is inaccurate in some points and not fair with others. She can say her room was far from the pool (probably accurate) but the complaint isn't fair. Disneys' resorts are also spread out and can have a long walk to the pool area.

Comparing it to a Holiday Inn. GIVE ME A BREAK. Someone who posts half truths deserves to be corrected.

Well I will apologize if I came across in my replies as rude. but that was not my intent at all. I am sorry you had a bad time and the staff was unresponsive, but again I think you should have spoken to the hotel manager.
I do not doubt that there were problems, it happens at the best of hotels and if this was the first time you have had so many things bad all at once after all your travels you are one lucky person! What I honestly felt when I read your post, was what I said: I just think perhaps you were not really ready for a change from Disney hotel. There is nothing wrong with that.
I still disagree about it being a Holiday Inn type themed hotel. I still feel there are Disney and universal fanatics that won't like anything about the competitors hotels.
Again I will ask: Is there anything you liked (and I'll add) about your visit to Universal?
Now all that said, I have never stayed at a Disney hotel, so I can't compare the two, but I am looking forward to staying at one (well there are actually a bunch) in the future. If I post a negative review, Milesmom1 please remind me of this thread and be gentle with me LOL!

Originally posted by crazyme5kids
Now all that said, I have never stayed at a Disney hotel, so I can't compare the two,

Disney hotels have lower priced meal options (food court/snack bars), the Universal hotels have a McDonalds 1/2 mile away for people looking for lower priced meal alternatives.

PBH seems to have a less crowded feel to it than the Disney deluxe hotels. I think there are more non-hotel guests walking through the Disney hotels than at the PBH.

There are generally better discounts available for the Universal hotels. You can book PBH for about $150 with the Entertainment book rate or Hotwire. The best price for POLY or GF is usually about $200.

Disney offers free parking, the Universal hotels charge for parking.

Thanks for the comparisons (wow I'm having a hard time spelling tonight, must be the wine!). I still love Universal, even though I hate rollercoasters and flumes. I did like Disney, but hated the long (and I do mean long, real, real long lines), front of Line is wonderful. But most of all I loved Portofino, I really, really loved it!

Milesmom,
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at PBH, your visit certainly seems a very long way away from my own recent stay.

To address your "complaints"
I can't comment on how helpful (or not) housekeeping were to you, my own experience was they were very prompt. Inadiquate CMs can happen anywhere in the world and at any standard hotel. I hope you raised the issue with their management. It shouldn't happen anywhere, but occassionally happens everywhere. In your situation, I'd have give housekeeping a couple of goes to sort it out, then I'd have marched down to check in (blankie in hand) and made a loud fuss until it got sorted out. The stain would also have been a topic of discussion had I felt it required dealing with. I try to deal with these situations by being polite but firm, I won't be ignored for very long and it's rare I'm ignored twice by the same person :) .

The walk to the pool. Well it's a spread out hotel, as has been commented upon if you visit Y+B, CSR, OKW, AKL all are great hotels but you face a long walk to the main pool at all of them. It may be factually correct, but for anyone that reads the information on the hotel, it's an obvious possibility.

The cost of food at PBH I must take issue with, granted the top restaurant there is a little pricey ( as is V+A, Yachtman's and any other number of Disney restaurants) but there are a number of other options ( I believe a total of 8 options). We ate at the excellent Italian buffet at La Trattoria which was less than $20 per person for a very good quality and filling meal. The Pizzeria was no more expensive than similar offerings at Disney and the coffee shop served snacks and pastries at a reasonable cost. The OP may have had an expensive meal if they went to the top restaurant in the resort, but IMHO the critisism is unfair as anyone who looks through the information offered by the hotel ( in a booklet in your room) can check for a restaurant they can afford. Here's a link to the restaurant page on their website http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/resort_hotels/por_amenities_page2.html . When combined with all that's available a short walk away at Citywalk, I think the comment is incorrect.

Transportation, again if you read the blurb in your room it tells you the hotel offers transportation by boat, bus and walking path and gives you the location of path and pick up points. Perhaps the OP missunderstood the CM (perhaps the CM assumed you knew there was a bus). If the boat ( the prefered method of most guests) was out of action there would be a lot of people waiting for the bus, perhaps the CM said (or meant) that if you had a car that was going to be the quickest and easiest way to get to the park.

Perhaps this is a little bit of a lesson to people, when you check into a hotel, particularly a relatively expensive one, it can be a huge benefit to you to read the information they give to you so you have a reasonable idea of what the hotel offers. Obviously doing some research before you go is always a good idea as well. I appreciate all views and comments good or bad about experiences, but I do think that the OP is at times unreasonable in their comments and at times their lack of (easily obtainable) knowledge contributed to their experience.

It's easy to blame the hotel staff when they are lazy, ignorant or unhelpful, but IMHO we have to take responsibility if we, as guests, fail to make the best of an experience due to our own laziness or ignorance. JMHO

Milesmom, I apologize for the way you were treated on this post. Yes these boards are for information and reviews but if you do a review of a Universal hotel with a comparison to Disney, the loyal USF fans on this board will become defensive. This is not an excuse, but a reason. There is never an excuse for personal attacks.

I've seen much worse on the Disney Resorts board when a beloved resort is badly reviewed on that board. I go out of my way to avoid being put in that position because you will get demonized.

I implore you to write to the Portofino about your concerns. Loews prides themselves on their service and need to know if a customer is unsatisfied. I've stayed at all three hotels and I've been spoiled by the service they provide. I did complain about an experience I had at Disney and the response made me a much happier person.

With that, this post is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter