Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

You can most certainly buy EBCI for peace of mind. However, boarding order goes like this: handicapped folks, A group (usually people who purchase EBCI get A or early B), families with children under 6 (that’s you), then B, then C.
We have always just done family boarding and have always found seats together.
Any time we were on a flight where a family was unable to sit together (they probably didn’t board at the right time), the flight attendants asked people to move so that they could.
So, I don’t think it’s necessaey to but EBCI, but if you’re super anxious and it will help you, go for it.
One of Southwest’s ongoing issues - people who pay for early bird seating to select their seats vs. passengers who don’t want to spend the extra money for EBCI, but once they board the plane simply have to sit with their family, in essence selecting their seats.

Most people who paid for EBCI don’t want to trade seats with passengers who didn’t pay for EBCI and thus don’t volunteer to switch seats. Then a flight attendant has to threaten to hold up the plane until the family can all be seated together.

Officially, Southwest has NO policy on seat saving. A passenger can sit in any open seat, even if someone has put something in it to try and save it. The last couple of Southwest flights I have been on there has been an argument over seat saving on the plane. On two of those occasions, the person just sat down in the “saved” seat, regardless.

I suspect now that Southwest has raised the pricing on EBCI, we can look forward to seeing more of these seating scuffles. Some of the other airlines going to “budget” tickets don’t allow seat selection as an option. These tickets say the passenger cannot pick their own seat on the budget option and families won’t be seated together.

On a side note, the back of the plane usually has more open seating options on Southwest for those who chose to gamble on not purchasing EBCI.

Last edited:
PSA: Southwest Airlines' schedule release tomorrow (9/27/18). They will release flights from April 8, 2019 through June 8, 2019.

The release typically occurs somewhere between 6:30am and 8:30am Eastern.

I've been trying to read through the 180+ pages of this thread, but wanted to ask for some advice... My family of four will be traveling SW for the first time, and the idea of non-assigned seats has me a bit nervous that we won't be able to sit together. I'm a nervous flyer, but I do my best not to let it show around the kids, and I like to have all the I's dotted and T's crossed to help me feel as prepared and calm as possible. ANYWAY. my DS will be 7 and DD will be 5 when we fly. Can you help me out for the best plan? Should I buy early boarding for us? We're trying to use points... Is saved seating frowned upon if we don't buy early boarding for everyone (I'm guessing yes)? Will we qualify for family boarding (both kids aren't under the threshold)?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

Some things also depend on the day, time, and whether or not your flight is a connecting one. First flight of the morning will be empty when everyone boards, so easier to find seats. A flight from a hub like BWI may have passengers already on the plane from previous flights, so fewer available. SW does not have a no seat saving policy, but some people get nasty about it. I always ask before I sit if the person there is saving a seat for someone. You could buy 2 early bird for one adult and the 7 year old and have the other 2 do family boarding. Have the first to board head toward the back if they need to save seats for a bit.

Me three!

This is so stressful because I'm at work right now and my fear is that the fares will come out as I'm driving home☹
That is stressful!!! Are you working 11-7 shift? I used to do 12-8 shifts at VA (I am RN) and it made it sooo difficult. Thankfully, the other nurses knew how important it was and would cover me. Hang in there and I hope it works out. Have a magical vacation!!!

I was able to book end of April by 6:10 EDT, by trying to work around system, but now can't book anything else.

Remember everyone waiting, for the last two releases, the website was active, if you typed in the dates, at least an hour before the app.

I was able to book end of April by 6:10 EDT, by trying to work around system, but now can't book anything else.
Wow! Didn't even know that was possible. That's fantastic that you were able to book something. How were the prices?

I'm about to go back to sleep and just deal with this when I wake up...
Hope you can make it. Sometimes there is a big jump in prices and sometimes not so much. I wish I could figure it out, it would sure make this whole process a little smoother...

Remember everyone waiting, for the last two releases, the website was active, if you typed in the dates, at least an hour before the app.

Yes!! Thank you!! Do this everyone! I was able to book Easter week! Used points, have never traveled a major holiday week before so not sure how to compare the cost. But I don’t care, it’s booked, I’m traveling free on a companion pass, my hotel is booked with discounts! Yea!!

Yes!! Thank you!! Do this everyone! I was able to book Easter week! Used points, have never traveled a major holiday week before so not sure how to compare the cost. But I don’t care, it’s booked, I’m traveling free on a companion pass, my hotel is booked with discounts! Yea!!
So you were able to book already? Still showing me dates aren't up. Help?

When the last batch came out, I was refreshing on the app while I made coffee. The app still showed my dates as unavailable to book. When I sat back down at the computer, they were ready to book. I agree that the app didn't refresh at the same time as the website.

Argh! I’m sitting in my car and have to be in work in 10 minutes! This wait is killing me! And if it opens right at 7, I’ll be getting report (another RN here) so I’ll be lucky to look again before 10.

Wow! Didn't even know that was possible. That's fantastic that you were able to book something. How were the prices?
I'm still trying to book another flight, but no luck.

The fares were not the lowest I've seen, but okay. I think I'll be able to get about 1,000 points back on each one-way, if I keep checking, over the next 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter