Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Our May flights were cancelled. We rebooked them fine. However they have not credited me for the EBCI I had purchased for the original set of flights. Will that be refunded to the card it was paid with? I don't want to pay for EBCI for the new flights until I know what is going on with my original $100.

A message was just received from Southwest that departure time was slightly changed on an upcoming flight, that I have been planning on cancelling.

We want to make you aware of a change we’ve made to your upcoming trip. This was done proactively due to a Southwest flight schedule change on your day of travel.
Please review your new itinerary below. Your reservation is confirmed and no further action is required.
In the event this new itinerary does not work for you, we are offering the opportunity to change your flight date(s) and/or time(s) by up to 60 days from original travel date at no additional cost in accordance with our established reaccommodation practices.
For expedited service, you can change your flight at www.southwest.com/rebook3 within three days of the delivery of this email. Flights with no additional cost will display as “Available”. Should you need further assistance, you can reach a Southwest Representative at 1-800-IFLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). Please keep in mind that wait times may be very high at this time.
We look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

Note was made of the option to change the flight, via the rebooking link, within three days of “the delivery of this email.”

SWA just dropped down to 1 flight a day to/from Mco from Birmingham. We were planning on doing a short 24 hour trip, flying down early in the morning, enjoy the parks, and fly back at night. Now the schedule has changed completely.

SWA just dropped down to 1 flight a day to/from Mco from Birmingham. We were planning on doing a short 24 hour trip, flying down early in the morning, enjoy the parks, and fly back at night. Now the schedule has changed completely.
What date were you going to fly? We booked our October flights right when the window opened (before COVID-19 was in full lockdown) and there was only one non-stop BHM-MCO available at that time, but 3 non-stops available for the return flight so I don't think the changes are necessarily based on what's going on now. I thought it was odd at the time but figured they'd add more flights down the road (but now I feel less like this will happen).

BHM is also our departure location but could fly out of Nashville if necessary.

Last edited:
Its my understanding that if you are issued travel funds between March 1 - June 30, 2020, then it will be extended. So if you cancel a flight or re-book a cheaper flight leaving you with a credit, you will receive the expiration extension on those travel funds As long as you cancel the August flights before June 30th, you should be eligible for the extension.

Flight changes are subject to the same expiration date as travel funds would be, which is the original purchase date under normal circumstances. As of now, you could re-book for any flight prior to your mid-March original purchase date. Once you cancel and the June 2021 expiration date is rolled out, you could re-book for any flight prior to June 30, 2021. But you would not be able to re-book for anything beyond June 30, 2021. Re-booking rather than cancelling is advisable for a couple of reasons - for one, you won't lose your early bird check-in if applicable. And two, when purchasing new flights, you're capped at using two travel funds per purchase. Each person on the reservation will have their own travel fund(s) to use, so its possible you'd have to book people separately if booking new flights using travel funds.

Thanks. As a quick follow up. To keep this simpler, lets say the vouchers expire 1 year from original purchase (and say they would expire on 3/12/2021). Does the whole trip need to be complete by 3/12/2021, as in return flight. Or as long as a single round-trip reservation departs prior to 3/12 we can return anytime after that?

This is the first time I've had to deal with this potential situation, and really just trying to plan. My son's birthday is on 3/17, so if I don't get the extension on the expiration date, I would likely look at going for his birthday in March.

We just moved our trip from june to august and found that sw has limited nonstops. We did save a nice chunk of change with the change!

Thanks. As a quick follow up. To keep this simpler, lets say the vouchers expire 1 year from original purchase (and say they would expire on 3/12/2021). Does the whole trip need to be complete by 3/12/2021, as in return flight. Or as long as a single round-trip reservation departs prior to 3/12 we can return anytime after that?

This is the first time I've had to deal with this potential situation, and really just trying to plan. My son's birthday is on 3/17, so if I don't get the extension on the expiration date, I would likely look at going for his birthday in March.
If you are going to use travel funds that expire on 3/12/2021, the entire itinerary you have used the travel funds for must be completed on or before 3/12/2021. So yes, if you are booking round trip flights, both your flight going and your return flight would need to be completed by 3/12/2021. And yes, to get around this, you could book separate one way flights, and not use the travel funds on the return flight if you're wanting to fly back after 3/12/2021.

Last edited:
If you are going to use travel funds that expire on 3/12/2021, the entire itinerary you have used the travel funds for must be completed on or before 3/12/2021. So yes, if you are booking round trip flights, both your flight going and your return flight would need to be completed by 3/12/2021. And yes, to get around this, you could book separate one way flights, and not use the travel funds on the return flight if you're wanting to fly back after 3/12/2021.

Glad to know. I didn't even think about doing two one way trips. May not get the full value if the cost if the new flight is less than the travel funds, but better than nothing.

Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I like to be prepared in case we need to change plans.

Thanks for the useful info!

What date were you going to fly? We booked our October flights right when the window opened (before COVID-19 was in full lockdown) and there was only one non-stop BHM-MCO available at that time, but 3 non-stops available for the return flight so I don't think the changes are necessarily based on what's going on now. I thought it was odd at the time but figured they'd add more flights down the road (but now I feel less like this will happen).

BHM is also our departure location but could fly out of Nashville if necessary.
We were flying Saturday, May 9th. Originally we were on a Departure flight at 6am, then it moved to an 8:30am, now it’s at 4:00pm. The return is now at 11:00am on Sunday, May 10th when we were originally on a departure flight of 8:00 pm. That messes up a quick 2 day trip to WDW. (Not like they are going to be open anyway).

I haven’t read the posted article yet but when I facebook messaged SWA they said my kids who have TF that expire 7/2/20 have until 2022 to use them. Great news!!

The article, and the email I just received from SW, explicitly state that any travel funds generated between 3/1/20 and 9/7/20, will automatically have their expiration dates extended until September 7, 2022. At least 2 years for everyone

The same applies to any travel funds that were set to expire between 3/1/2020 and 9/7/2020. The expiration date will be extended to 9/7/2022.

They're still saying it'll take some time before we see all the changes show up.

Thank you Southwest! Way to get waaay ahead of the competition in taking care of your customers.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter