Post your best organizational, space saving and trip making secrets here!!

Not sure how long this took to read. I'm guessing a few pages a day over a few weeks. Thank you everyone for the great ideas. This will be my first WDW with a toddler. Wish me luck I'm used to doing the parks commando style.

I use a Passporter for my early trip planning, because it is a great resource, and fun to use, but for on the go I transfer pertinent info into my iPhone. Last trip, each member of my family had a Disney gift card with a different character on them loaded with their spending money. I used a small credit card holder, with individual clear pockets to hold them in. It was great, because we didn't need to fuss with so much cash. Now, they have an iPhone app to keep track of gift card balances, so I will definitely be using that in addition on our next trip.

keep em comin!

Another idea I had heard was to bring the collapsible hampers so that you can keep your dirty clothes in it. Also the cheapo $1 laundry bags for dirty clothes, then you can just pitch the bags when you're done.

That is a great idea. We always have a washer/dryer in our dvc villa and a pile of laundry on the floor in front of it which I hate. I'm going to keep my eye out for a small collapsable hamper now...Thanks!! :thumbsup2

We got these toothbrush cover/holders and was able to order them on ebay in different colors.
I think I really like them because they keep the toothbrush off the counter and they are easy for the kids to use by themselves.
The downside is that the kids' covers opened during travel. I think it's because they are the small kids toothbrush and they turn around inside. For our regular (adult-sized) toothbrushes, they work awesome. :thumbsup2

http://www.smileytoothbrushholder.com/index.html

These look great, i just went on amazon and ordered some for our upcoming trip :thumbsup2 thanks!!

this is the best thread, i've gotten alot of great ideas from it...thanks everyone :goodvibes

Mini spray bottles of OUST air cleaner! they are on clearance at TARGET for .80!! i love em for when you get into those STINKY bathrooms and the like!!

Great ideas - having fun reading through them!!

I collect tips etc from all over and add them on my computer, so I have looked back over others I have collected and thought I would post my favourites, which I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1: Take a chamois instead of a towel to the parks to dry kids off after they've played in the water areas. Much smaller then a towel, absorbs more water and can be rung out dry ready for any future uses. Makes sense!

2: Keep the extra napkins, plastic mickey shaped plates, straws etc. They are a cheap souvenir and apparently they last a long time and are a good way to keep the magic alive until your next trip.

3: While watching Wishes, one person had their daughter wear headphones with the soundtrack to Wishes playing. Apparently this helped her fear of loud noises. I guess this would work for Fantasmic as well. I guess ear plugs could be worth a try as well.

4: If it's the dark the kids are scared of, little pen lights (or anything that omits a dim light that doesn't distract other visitors) are a good source of comfort in the dark rides.

5: Take a small bottle of bubble mixture into the parks. This is light (and reasonably small) to carry, provides entertainment for the kids while waiting in line etc, is cheap, battery and noise free and can add to the magic for other guests.

6: Take the kids pyjamas into the park if staying up late to watch fireworks etc. Change them into them just before they start so they can be put straight to bed when home without being woken.

Some of these tips are probably old favourites, but there are probably plenty of first time mums who have never heard or thought of these ideas, like me. I don't know if they work well but I'll be giving them a try when we take our 2 year old son on his first trip in Oct. Can't wait!!

great tips

I always travel with only a carry on ... no matter how long the trip. I wash clothes as needed - usually socks and undies, occassionally a tshirt - in the shower. I wash off quickly, and put the items in the bottom of the tub and sort of step on them and squish them around while I wash my hair. By the time I'm rinsed, so are the clothes. Very low tech, but it works :thumbsup2

My daughter on the other hand needs 2 full size suitcases for a week:laughing:

I just started reading this thread again, since we've decided to do a trip late next year (hopefully). Anyway, we last went in Jan/2010. I used a lot of tips from this thread, but one I haven't seen (I did skip several pages in the middle) was using collapsable fabric bins. http://www.target.com/p/itso-Full-Size-Fabric-Bin-Green/-/A-10817671 I got one for each person and everyone used them to store their misc stuff in the room. DH and I used them to store our cell phones, keys, lanyard and whatever else, and the kids used them for their toys, stuffed animals, etc. It was great to keep things tidy because everyone had a spot to put their stuff. We flew, so the collapsible part was a must. We still have them, so I'll dump them out and bring the for the next trip.

I have been through this thread so many times! Love it.

If your kids MUST have spinny light toys, Target and Meijer had some smaller varieties in the stocking stuffer section recently. I bet they are marked down now ;)

Bass Pro sells nice ponchos for $2.99 and are reusable with a little mesh storage bag.

We used to use the Ziplock packing method, but are switching over to packing cubes this trip. You can buy them from luggage stores etc.

**I was looking at the Freedom Toiletry Bag, anyone have anything similar? i want something bug enough to fit my flat iron, full size bottles of shampoo, our meds, etc.

Yay, finally mde it through the whole thread!

We always bring a neutral backpack into the park so DH doesn't feel weird carrying it too. We purchase a can of Pringles early on and when they are gone, wwe use the container to hold other snacks for the week. Keeps them from getting lost in the pack or crushed.

I have seen lots of people talking about dollar store ponchos. We bought them before our firstbtrip and found them to be so worthless and frustrating that we bought park ponchos. Much nicer! But bring them from home in matching colors for everyone. It's really easy to lose someone when the whole park looks the same! The kids did much better in a traditional rain coat that fit well. Always seemed like their arms got lost in a poncho!

Also Garden Grocer was a lifesaver in packing with small ones and packing light. We ordered diapers, snacks, water and sunscreen from them and it was all waiting at the resort when we got there. Nice.

i used to be a big fan of "rolling" everything into the suitcase. Did this for eons and thought that it was the best way.

however, i had to pack for a week business meeting with only a carry on and panicked.

then I found this - http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&

simply amazing! now i don't pack any other way and we take 1/2 the number of suitcases that we usually did.

try it - you'll like it. :thumbsup2

Can you provide tips or a summary from this method? Don't really have 2 hours to watch the videos...thanks!

I LOVE all these ideas. I have been reading this thread for two weeks now and still not close to the end. I leave in 4 days and have gotten so many new things for our trip.

THANKS EVERYONE

This is a GREAT thread with so many great ideas. Our first trip to WDW is in 28 days. It will be much smoother because of this thread.

I thought that I would just post on here so that other people who don't know that it's hear can share in this little gem of a thread!! Thank you all for sharing all of your info. I'm going to Disneyland but I feel educated enough to pack for the World one day too!!! LOL! Thanks again! Best tip on this thread is the clear shoe organizer to put all of the things you need daily! LOVE it!! Great job friends!!:cool1:

-collapsible fabric bins (dollar store) to corral all of the daily use stuff like lanyards, phones, wallets, cameras etc. Just grab the contents of your bins and go. No wasting time looking for precious objects.

-collapsible mesh hamper (dollar store).

-hanging mesh closet organizer (weighs a few ounces, dollar store) with 4 compartments. I keep sundry items in here.

-use the ironing board as an extra surface to store things

-bring old undies that are ready to toss. Toss at the end of the trip. We've also done this with PJs that are worn out.

Also highly recommended...have a special spot where blankies or stuffies are put as soon as you're awake. My DS chews a blanket (gross
i know) so I wash it frequently at home and spread it out each day. In hotels I always hang it from the clips and pant hangers so it airs out and doesn't get draped on a chair.

One more thing, I always restock/repack my park bag each night. I hate wasting morning time refilling a mini bottle of sunscreen, or ensuring we have enough wipes.

One more thing, I always restock/repack my park bag each night. I hate wasting morning time refilling a mini bottle of sunscreen, or ensuring we have enough wipes.

I totally agree! It makes it so much easier in the mornings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter