• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre Aulani Waikiki hotel?

mickeyd78

Mouseketeer
We just booked Aulani for 10 nights in November. So excited. We decided to stay in Waikiki for four nights before Aulani to do shopping and touristy things.

I have never been to Hawaii and have no idea about Waikiki hotels. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read good reviews for the Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki (which is about the price range we are looking at), but not sure which one would be better for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (3, 1) also looking at Holiday Inn.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

You might check into the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. We stayed there in 2012 and really liked it. It's perhaps a bit smaller than some hotels, which we thought gave it a nice feel. Rooms were decorated in a bright, cheery, "islandy" feel. The location was nice - on the very East end of Waikiki Beach, down near the park and the zoo, so not as crowded feeling as being right in the heart of the city, yet still walking distance to everything. We were able to park for free a couple blocks away, over by the zoo. We had a nice view of Diamond Head from our room, the beach right across the street, a Starbucks and a Wolfgang Puck Express just underneath the hotel, a pleasant breakfast around the pool each morning with entertainment, and the restaurant on the premesis was pretty good too. We booked through Costco and got a pretty decent rate. All in all it was a good experience.

Following....we will be staying one night off site prior to checking into Aulani. Looking for a nice budget friendly place for one night :)

We actually wound up renting a condo that we found through VRBO. It was a great location, and it was really nice to have a full kitchen.

We were right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki at the Iliakai Marina.

We've stayed in the Waikiki Banyan. It's a condo style hotel near the Diamond Head side in Waikiki. It's a little old and some of the rooms are a little dated, but we love the extra space you get in this hotel. All rooms have a kitchen, dining space, living area, and an alcove bedroom. If you want some room to spread out and have a kitchen to prepare meals it's the way to go.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is very nice. The Hilton Honors web site guarantees best rate, and I have seen some decent rates on that site. Anyone can become a member of Hilton Honors. The resort has extensive grounds and is really beautiful. It is right on Waikiki beach.

We like the Hilton Hawaiian Village, too. You can sometimes get some pretty good rates there, which can make it a very good deal. My kids loved Aulani, but they really enjoyed the HHV, as well. It is right on Waikiki, and it has both traditional hotel rooms and condo units. You can do an Atlantis submarine tour from the pier right in front of the hotel, which we decided to do almost spur of the moment, and turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip.

It is very touristy, but we enjoyed it. My kids particularly loved the tropical penguin pool and the exotic birds throughout the resort.

We just booked Aulani for 10 nights in November. So excited. We decided to stay in Waikiki for four nights before Aulani to do shopping and touristy things.

I have never been to Hawaii and have no idea about Waikiki hotels. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read good reviews for the Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki (which is about the price range we are looking at), but not sure which one would be better for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (3, 1) also looking at Holiday Inn.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

We have stayed at both the Outrigger Waikiki and the Outrigger Reef before. I would say that they're both fine properties but the Outrigger Waikiki is just a notch above the Reef. I think they're both terrific values for their price and both are located right on the beach which is nice. Duke's (a very popular Waikiki restaurant that many people make a special trip into Waikiki to eat at) is located IN the Outrigger Waikiki so that would be ultra convenient if you'd like to include a dinner there or something. We would pick that property over the Reef. But you'd be fine with either one, really and I'd stick with one of those if that's what fits your budget. (They are both within walking distance to just about anything you want to do in Waikiki.) :thumbsup2

We enjoyed our stay at the Ilikai with a beautiful view of the marina and a short walk to the start of Waikiki Beach.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just booked the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. Can't wait.

You will LOVE the Outrigger Waikiki! We've stayed there pre-Aulani twice now, and dinner at Duke's on our first night ranks right up there on my family's list of 'happy places'!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter