• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-flight Covid test to USA

The testing requirement going is a nice change however I wonder if it will affect behaviour on flight. Like previously everyone around had taken a test the previous day, it must have weeded out some people with covid. Now the person sat next to you for 8+ hours might have covid. In densities far lighter than that of a packed aircraft I would be wearing a mask and at anything approaching aircraft densities I will have an N95/FFP2 on.

This is what I’m concerned about as well. We fly out on 19th June so we’ve already booked and paid for our PCR’s at Manchester airport in preparation so I doubt we’ll be able to get our money back from them now.

For me personally without getting too much into it, this has actually added a lot more stress on to my upcoming trip rather than reducing it because the only peace of mind I had was knowing that everybody had to have a negative test before boarding so it was unlikely anybody would slip through but that’s completely out of the window now :/

Last edited:
The testing requirement going is a nice change however I wonder if it will affect behaviour on flight. Like previously everyone around had taken a test the previous day, it must have weeded out some people with covid. Now the person sat next to you for 8+ hours might have covid. In densities far lighter than that of a packed aircraft I would be wearing a mask and at anything approaching aircraft densities I will have an N95/FFP2 on.

there is no doubt at all that the planes will be full of covid now that testing has been dropped.
i don't have a clue what the impact of that will be.

i don't have a clue what the impact of that will be.
Probably at the limits of disboards policy, but I suspect not much or the CDC would have held out longer, or at least made clear their disapproval.
It's an interesting question though as the answer depends a lot on exactly who's POV you consider - traveler, other travelers, residents, vac status ...

Probably at the limits of disboards policy, but I suspect not much or the CDC would have held out longer, or at least made clear their disapproval.
It's an interesting question though as the answer depends a lot on exactly who's POV you consider - traveler, other travelers, residents, vac status ...
Cases of transmission on planes have been surprisingly low. The theory on why this is the case is because the overhead ventilation creates air 'curtains' between rows of seats.

Cases of transmission on planes have been surprisingly low.
Not really. People blame air travel for every ailment that presents symptoms after a flight, but aircraft ventilation is better than most buildings (typically 50% fresh air and 50% HEPA filtered recirculation). Most of the time people have probably caught stuff just before the flight (in the terminal for hours... and queueing in the unventilated airbridge to get on the plane is probably a hot spot :scared: ) or it's just a reaction to the altitude and very low humidity.

There will obviously be some transmission, just as flu and colds have done it since forever, but it's not as bad as people think.

I would worry about Florida personally more than the airplane and airports, it is RIFE ! Have friends who live out there.
Weird saying this but myself and wife both had COVID about 3 weeks ago, we were absolutely fine and feel more relaxed about it now.

Not the same for all for medical reasons etc but just take care still...

I would worry about Florida personally more than the airplane and airports, it is RIFE ! Have friends who live out there.
Weird saying this but myself and wife both had COVID about 3 weeks ago, we were absolutely fine and feel more relaxed about it now.

Not the same for all for medical reasons etc but just take care still...

omicron is very mild.
My husband had it about 2 months ago. But despite being seriously immunocompromised (during chemo treatments), it barely reached the level of a cold. Very very mild.

I'm more worried that an increase in cases will cause them to bring back draconian measures..

We also had it a few months ago.
Daughter, mid-30s, unvacced:- 'flu' and lounged about for a few days. Me and SWMBO, 70s, vacced:- 'cold/mild flu' for a couple of days, but fully active.
All three of us were negative LFT, but PCRs came back positive ... We'd never have known it wasn't just the usual cold/flu otherwise. :confused3

By the by ... The UK has been running at about 1 in 30-50 infected for months now. It seems unlikely there is anyone who isn't doing extreme sheltering that hasn't had it at least once by now.

By the by ... The UK has been running at about 1 in 30-50 infected for months now. It seems unlikely there is anyone who isn't doing extreme sheltering that hasn't had it at least once by now.

the only reason my husband tested was because i tested.
I'd had a really horrible sore throat over the weekend so on Sunday i went to test.
Since i was going for a PCR, my husband decided to go as well since he had a very mild runny nose, but really just to keep me company.
He was shocked when his test came back positive, mine came back "borderline positive".
The rules here are that if you get borderline positive, you test again the following day.
So i tested again the following day and it came back negative.

who knows, maybe all those vaccines i had (4 doses of pfizer) did the trick.
that plus the massive doses of lysine i started taking the moment my throat began to hurt.

4 doses of pfizer
We're doing the mix it up system :cool1: .
2 A-Z, 1 Pfizer, 1 Moderna (though only my wife has had the 4th so far).
But none seem to stop you catching it - just means you shake it off pretty easily for most people. Just like the flu shots.

We're doing the mix it up system :cool1: .
2 A-Z, 1 Pfizer, 1 Moderna (though only my wife has had the 4th so far).
But none seem to stop you catching it - just means you shake it off pretty easily for most people. Just like the flu shots.

exactly. You can still catch it, but it's not as bad.
Those who have gone critical here have been the unvaccinated.
(hopefully, i'm not violating the board rules)

3 months later ...

When testing was lifted in June the CDC said they would review it in 90 days, which is about now.
I've had a look but couldn't see anything about this. It doesn't seem likely they'd try to bring testing back, but then again the US has just authorised production of another 100 million tests for domestic use, so who knows.
Anybody heard any rumours or whatever? Or has the review quietly dropped off the radar?

3 months later ...

When testing was lifted in June the CDC said they would review it in 90 days, which is about now.
I've had a look but couldn't see anything about this. It doesn't seem likely they'd try to bring testing back, but then again the US has just authorised production of another 100 million tests for domestic use, so who knows.
Anybody heard any rumours or whatever? Or has the review quietly dropped off the radar?
I was checking too but it seems to have dropped off the radar. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

We came back from US early September and although we were fine to travel back 3 out of 4 of us got COVID a day or 2 after returning so it is everywhere in Orlando

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter