Preparing for trip post transplant

castormom4

Mouseketeer
We are brand new to all this. We took our 16 yr old son in for a sinus infection and weeks later he was getting a heart transplant. He’s 8 months out and a year of no traveling has been hard on him. He qualified for a Make a Wish but did not choose a trip because “mom can do it better!” (So clearly, no pressure!) We haven’t been to Disney since 2017 but he’s requested to go back.

Originally we were thinking Feb 2025 because the heat would be less, but he’s been sick pretty much all winter. He’s immunocompromised from his meds but even then on the low end and needs injections. So I feel like winter is probably too risky.

Considering moving it back to Sept 2024. I know the crowds would be lower. We’d also be able to save some money as room rates seem lower and there is a deal on 4 day tickets. Hopefully he will have a lower chance of being sick and getting sick, although still a concern. I’m also worried about the sun/heat. He was a 3 sport HS athlete so he gets really frustrated with getting tired so easily now. The DAS pass does sound like it could be helpful so he could wait in AC or non crowded shaded areas. Obviously washing hands a ton. Can you wipe down a ride quickly before riding or will you get the death stare? If we go to buffets, I thought I read they would bring him a plate from the back with items he wanted? Could you request in advance to be seated at least on an end/less trafficked area. Any other advice I’m not thinking of?

I'm going to move this to the main disABILITIES Forum where it will likely get more trip-planning views.

One comment about DAS -- it is not usually granted for stamina issues, they'll recommend a wheelchair (or other mobility device). There aren't designated DAS "waiting" areas, so finding A/C or shady areas with a seat might be a challenge -- again why a wheelchair is recommended to provide a seat when needed. The first post of THIS THREAD explains DAS; no need to read the whole thread, just the first post is kept up-to-date. I suggest finding good SPF clothing to protect from sun exposure as well as a good hat, and avoid mid-day in the parks when the sun is strongest. September in Orlando can still be hot (depending where you are from it may be typical summer-time hot).

Buffets -- I'm pretty sure I've read of folks getting a plate from the kitchen. I can't say whether that is standard or not. Hopefully someone else will chime in. We do have several immunocompromised posters around here as well as some post-transplant.

I'm going to move this to the main disABILITIES Forum where it will likely get more trip-planning views.

One comment about DAS -- it is not usually granted for stamina issues, they'll recommend a wheelchair (or other mobility device). There aren't designated DAS "waiting" areas, so finding A/C or shady areas with a seat might be a challenge -- again why a wheelchair is recommended to provide a seat when needed. The first post of THIS THREAD explains DAS; no need to read the whole thread, just the first post is kept up-to-date. I suggest finding good SPF clothing to protect from sun exposure as well as a good hat, and avoid mid-day in the parks when the sun is strongest. September in Orlando can still be hot (depending where you are from it may be typical summer-time hot).

Buffets -- I'm pretty sure I've read of folks getting a plate from the kitchen. I can't say whether that is standard or not. Hopefully someone else will chime in. We do have several immunocompromised posters around here as well as some post-transplant.
Thank you! I posted on my phone and thought this WAS the main disability group. My main concern is waiting near people. He’s immunocompromised due to the anti rejection medication and on that spectrum is low enough that he takes injections to boost it into at least a safe range. The plan for the sun is spf shirts, hats, sunscreen and avoid as we can. Stamina hopefully will be better by then and less of an issue.

I don't know if he still qualifies for a Make a Wish trip

Mom can't do it better. Make a Wish guests are said to get better accommodations then regular DAS.
He qualifies and was approved for a non travel related wish. He just didn’t want to stay at the different resort, have to eat there, and only have 3 park days (5/6 days total for the trip). They don’t allow extending trips. So I’m trying to plan the trip he hoped for.

Thank you! I posted on my phone and thought this WAS the main disability group. My main concern is waiting near people. He’s immunocompromised due to the anti rejection medication and on that spectrum is low enough that he takes injections to boost it into at least a safe range. The plan for the sun is spf shirts, hats, sunscreen and avoid as we can. Stamina hopefully will be better by then and less of an issue.
Make A Wish is as close to front of line as you can get. Better than DAS plus you still plan what you want.

I volunteer at Give Kids the World when I'm in Orlando and it can be a truly magical place for the Make a Wish kids if that is where y'all would stay!

I'm not much help on the other topics except to say that September in the South, especially Florida, is VERY HUMID and there is a ton of risk for a hurricane. If you can do November or early December, you will be much better off weather wise.

If he is so severely immunocompromised, I might consider the whole family wearing masks to try minimize risk of getting sick. When I was there a few weeks ago, there were definitely still families wearing masks in the parks and there definitely still are at Disneyland. And yes, it will suck wearing them in September in Orlando (we did in 2021, so I get it), but it can be a small sacrifice to hopefully keep him healthy. Or at least consider when inside and waiting for rides in closer quarters with people.

Make A Wish is the way.

Make A Wish is as close to front of line as you can get.

That isn’t an option if the boy already chose another wish. If you don’t have other suggestions, it’s time to move along.

I know we’re had immunocompromised posters in the past — hopefully someone has some good suggestions for OP.

That isn’t an option if the boy already chose another wish. If you don’t have other suggestions, it’s time to move along.

I know we’re had immunocompromised posters in the past — hopefully someone has some good suggestions for OP.
I do have a friend with a Wish child who was able to change her wish before it happened

If he is so severely immunocompromised, I might consider the whole family wearing masks to try minimize risk of getting sick. When I was there a few weeks ago, there were definitely still families wearing masks in the parks and there definitely still are at Disneyland. And yes, it will suck wearing them in September in Orlando (we did in 2021, so I get it), but it can be a small sacrifice to hopefully keep him healthy. Or at least consider when inside and waiting for rides in closer quarters with people.

Yes - I am one of those folks who is still masking - not just in the Parks, but everywhere I go, at home or when I travel.

I don't have a choice; chemo took that away. So, I put on the mask, and I go have a great time; The mask does not stop me from enjoying myself. And I am not obligated to *like* wearing a mask, I just have to build a bridge, get over it, and go on and do it.

Having said all that, not everyone who has a health issue(s) has to wear a mask. Often that is a discussion that folks need to have with their medical team.

But to offer the OP some reassurance, if that is needed, yes there are definitely some of us who still mask at WDW, even outdoors.

Can you wipe down a ride quickly before riding or will you get the death stare?
I have no direct experience with what you're asking but I wanted to comment on this particular question. Take the death stares and wear them like a badge of honor. If you're doing what keeps your family safe and allows them to enjoy their vacation and isn't injuring someone else in the process, screw what they think. People can wait an extra 30 seconds while you wipe down a seat or say a prayer or do a special dance you do when you get on a ride. It is none of their business.

My main concern is waiting near people
I like the idea of visiting when it is warm but not grossly hot or likely to be cold. Late September could work or into October can be nice...even early November (which gets you further away from hurricane season).

Genie+ could be a good buy for your family which would help get through the lines a bit quicker. Perhaps also budget for some paid LL (like Tron). Another possible way to get some distance from people and a seat is to do the dessert parties for fireworks or one of those fireworks boat tours (never done one but they look cool). Would he enjoy some of the behind the scenes tours? I did Keys to the Kingdom and it was a relatively small group and the tour was mostly outside or at least not bunched together with people. There's a bunch of different tours. I was just trying to think of ways to make the trip special and get some distance from the crowds. Any special event tickets like After Hours in the parks could help as well.

Wiping down rides could be tedious - might be easier to use hand sanitizer for yourselves often and also stopping for a lot of hand washing. Getting on and off rides you can't help but touch a lot of stuff - even just not thinking about it!

I can't think of too many outdoor dining restaurants other than quick service ones. Three Bridges at CSR is definitely more "open air" - not sure if you want to do table service meals.

Finally - one place where it's hard to avoid the sardine effect is the busses. Perhaps budget for taking uber, Lyft or a Minnie Van during busy times of the day. Minnie Vans will get you the closest and they're fun.

These things cost $$$$ - I realize that. I wish you and your son all the best and I hope by the time the trip rolls around he's going to be feeling fantastic. :)

I don't know what his particular needs are in this respect, but with my autoimmune disorders I would never go in september. The combination of the heat and the humidity would be way too much for me. My favorite time of year to go is the week after Thanksgiving. Crowds aren't as low as September, but they're manageable, and the weather is so much better. Plus, all the holiday decorations and special offerings are truly magical.

For the DAS you or he willed to answer "What concerns do you have waiting in lines" or "what would happen to you if you were waiting in line." something limiter to those. as other said fatigue is solved by a wheelchair or if he is old enough ( most places 18+ some will rent to older teens) an ECV

Even with the DAS he might need something as it does not help with walking standing and the benches are disappearing.

As there have said September might not be the best time to go as it can be very hot the week after thanksgiving is a great time like the PP said, I would also look at Disney website and see when hotels are the cheapest is when they are normal the slowest.

wishing you and your family the best of trips when every you decided to go.

As to wiping down rides I wouldn’t be concerned about death stares so much as the rides that load on a cycle may not allow time for you to do that and then get in and secured if applicable.

Note that there are a couple of rides that cannot be easily stopped by Cast Members- Peter Pan and People Mover are at the top of that list. Doom buggies can be slowed, but preferably not stopped.

A wheelchair or an ecv can create a physical barrier for increased separation. (I am pretty much a fulltime wheelchair user these days).

While receiving a DAS may allow you to not wait in line, Disney does not provide a. crowd-free alternative waiting environment. Benches may be few and far between. Dining areas are often limited to those who have picked up food. Many air conditioned shops can be pretty crowded

Buses, park entrances at opening times, and park exits at closing times can be especially busy and crowded, with people shoulder to shoulder. I would plan on exiting the park an hour prior to scheduled closing or be at the back of the park at closing and plan to exit 45 minutes later.

Safe travels!

Last edited:
I am immunocompromised, though also have some other issues with being in a line environment, and all of that particularly one that is a crowded confined space.

For parades, don't line up at the edge of the parade route; people are going to crowd beside and behind you if you do; instead, there are some areas along the parade route that have buildings and then a walkway in front and then the pens/seating for the parade. Those buildings create a natural barrier behind you. Some of them, like in front of Liberty Tree Tavern have benches (those are in front of some bushes, also a natural barrier), like this (screenshot from Google streetview) wher eyou can sit if you get there early enough, and wait for the parade. Then when the parade comes, stay seated, or stand up and watch. Yes, you will at a distance, but you can still see perfectly well, and it keeps you back from the crowd.
:
1712511740398.png

There are other areas that are similar along the parade route - nooks or a bit off the track places where you can get a good enough view but are where most people are not going to be waiting because they want right up front.

For meals, one of the other posters have mentioned is eating at "off" times when restaurants are less crowded. Another strategy is going back to your resort and getting QS and bringing it back to your room to eat; this has the added advantage of creating some down/rest time.

When you do have to be in a line, like at an attraction, create space, your own mini bubble. Have other members of your part be in front and behind and then make some space between then and the immunocompromised person, creating a bit of a buffer in the line; doesn't help for the sides, but is better than no buffer at all.

Consider haing everyone in your party wear quality N95 masks that fit properly, after consulting with one's healthcare provider since there are cardiac issues involved that you don't want to accidently aggravate. For myself, if I leave my house I have an N95 on, regardless of what I am going to do. It has the added bonus of helping tremendously with environmental allergies ;-)

For your question about wiping down rides, I have found there just isn't time. I also deal with food allergies, so that is an added concern. Instead of wiping the ride, I bring hand sanitizing wipes and gel hand sanitizzer, and I wipe my hands immediately after getting off a ride. I wash hands with soap and water when I have the chance. We go through a lot of wipes/sanitizer on a trip.

For our hotel room we bring fragrance-free disinfecting wipes and once we check in and get into the room one of the first things we do is wipe down surfaces, especially high touch points. At checkin we inform them that we do not need housekeeping for the duration of our stay.

For our hotel room, outdoor shoes come off and indoor shoes come on - nobody goes barefoot or sockfooted in the room [walking once across the floor in white socks will convince you of the advisability!).

WDW now has a number of resorts whose rooms are carpetless, and those are the ones we choose to stay at.

SW

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter