Pressure to get another dog

Karel

<font color=deeppink>There's a little poem about s
It looks like there's a lot of animal lovers on this board so I have a question about getting a new pet after your old one has passed. We lost our golden retriever last spring at the ripe old age of 14. I still really miss him but not all the responsability a dog requires. Friends of ours got a Westie, cute and smart. Now, my family(kids, husband) and my friend are really pushing for us to get one. I would like one if I had the money but I keep thinking the money could be spent on better things, like towards the new chimney we need. Then I start thinking about the vet bills, food, doggie things, training, walking, etc. etc.

But I'm not sure if these are all excuses on my part because I miss our old pet. I do eventually need to go back to work full time and I don't know if I feel good about leaving a pet alone all day.

Urgh! I don't know what to do.

You know you will bear the brunt of the care and all. If it's not the right time for you, maybe the family can agree on another kind of pet until things settle down.
But from what I've seen. Most people are reluctant to get another pet until they happen to find one that captures their heart. :)

Our golden retriever lived 12 years. About 6 months after she died, we got a male Westie!

He's a pain in the butt. He barks all the time, is very hyper, chases the cats, barks all the time, has really bad allergies, barks all the time and he really barks a lot. He's lovable and cuddly, was easy to housebreak, but he sure does bark a lot. Oh, and he's very hard-headed... especially about barking.

He really likes to bark. :rolleyes:

don't feel guilty...

our golden retriever died last april; he was 12. we loved him SO much, but my parents were ready for life without the extra responsibility. i know they think about getting another dog sometimes, but the timing just isn't right for them. they are finally empty nesters and are enjoying a lot of travel that just wouldn't be possible if they had a dog. if it's not the right time for you, it's not the right time. :)

Yea, but the real question I have for *********** is "Did that dog bark much?" Just wonderin', lol.
I would wait to get another pet until I felt like I was really ready for one. Sometimes it's just not the right time.

If you're not ready to get another pet at this time, don't. Don't get another one until you're ready, or it will be harder to love than one you would get when you were ready (did that make any sense? LOL!)

And when you *are* ready, make sure that what you get is what *you* want, too.

We had a bearded collie for 12 years before we had to put him to sleep. As it became obvious that his health was failing, my wife made friends with a breeder and we had another beardie here for the last couple months. It made the transition much easier for the kids.
My mom lost her basset hound several years ago and my sister and I got her a replacement immediatedly after the death. That was a mistake in that she was not ready to deal with a replacement. After the replacement dog passed on, we are letting my mom move at her own pace and when she is ready we will help her get a new dog (but not another bassett hound).
BTW, we have just bred two of our beardies and should have puppies soon.

You will know in your heart when the time is right. Pets are a big responsibility...kind of like having a kid (imo) as they kind of keep you on a schedule, so I can understand where you are coming from. {{hugs}} for the loss of your furbaby.

I can relate with you! I am in the same position. We had to put our 16yo cat down (gasp) about 1 1/2yrs ago and they want a dog.
I love animals but on top of the responsibility I have allergies so nope, not happening.
I will know when I am ready and I'll bet you will too.

My parents cats (aged 18 and 19!!!) just died this past month. They aren't ready for anymore pets.

They were saying they have had pets from 1972 (dogs, horses, and other cats prior to these last two cats) to this year.. so they are taking a break.

I had to have my greyhound put to sleep at the end of October after he lost the battle with osteosarcoma. I don't feel I'm ready to get another dog yet but that doesn't mean I don't think about it a lot. I waited 2 years before getting my greyhound after my beardie died.

I did adopt 2 adult cats last year after my other 2 cats died within a couple months of each other at the ripe old age of 18. The house would be incredibly empty without those kitties! :D

Please don't get another dog unless you're ready for one. Because as one poster stated, YOU will be primarily taking care of the dog. My 2 collies are 11 and 12 years old and we just got another collie in Aug. She's 7 months old now. I don't know if she's worse than the other 2 as a pup, its been so long since I had a pup, or now I have more responsibilities, than when we got the other 2, but its exhausting sometimes doing it all. My DS loves HIS pup and I wouldn't trade her for anything but she is a ton of work. ,like having a new baby. I work with a rescue group and we get sooooo many turned over because people bought on impulse. Its a collie rescue group and you wouldn't believe how many people give the excuse, the dog sheds too much, when they turn it over. Hello, its a collie! I'm sure you will make the right decision. As for the Westie, they are generally VERY hyper dogs and I think *********** said they bark alot. LOL Totally opposite personality than a Golden. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter