Pricing information released regarding 2024 Disney Dining Plan

One of the biggest win ,win deals with Disney is a company sponsors an area/attraction .
Disney provides the signage and the company gives Disney their product for pennies.
45 million guest sees that product and purchases it at park or once they go home.
WIN WIN

There is no world in which this new DDP saves you money. And "convenience" is a silly reason. It's just as convenient for me to pay as I go as it is for me to pay in advance.
Whatever convenience there might have been went away when they removed tips from the plan. At least back then, one scan at the beginning of the meal and no need to wait around at the end.

The other intangible does have a value for some - stress free ordering and that feeling of an all inclusive vacation. Not having to consider the price of an entree when deciding, letting your meat loving kids and spouse order steak every night without a care (other than their hardened arteries :-) ) really does help with what can sometimes be a stressful vacation. Still not worth it for us but for some, maybe.

Last edited:
There is no world in which this new DDP saves you money. And "convenience" is a silly reason. It's just as convenient for me to pay as I go as it is for me to pay in advance.
Maybe silly to you but not to others. People save for months it not years for a Disney vacation and if you know "most" of your food costs up front then that's what you budget. It makes it much easier than trying to guess what your going to spend in food per day/per person.

I was one of those people who wanted the DDP to return. We used to always get the dining plan. But we are not quick service people so the current plans have no appeal.

In addition on our December 2022 trip we saved money and tried non Disney restaurants (swolphin restaurants) and I was blown away by how much better they were. We still ate mostly at signature restaurants and ordered what we wanted.

By getting rid of the plan and having a trip without it cost Disney money because I plan to try more non Disney restaurants next trip and go back to the ones I tried in December. I also have no interest in the current dining plans. So they aren’t getting my dining plan money or as much money of my restaurant money.

Does Disney breakout the dining cost? In the past you just saw a total. I can some people getting a quote which includes tickets and dining making a decision based on the bottom line costs. People gifting a trip might want to include dining. Avoids the recipient avoiding TS to save money. Assumes guest would be happy giving parents back unspent meal money.

DDP doesn't appeal to guests looking to save money.

Coke doesn't need Disney BUT Coke would not be happy if Disney switched to Pepsi.

I'm skeptical of the claim the soda is literally free. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of fountain soda is so low people may think the soda is all but free. Pennies per cup. It's theoretically possible Disney rents the equipment but gets syrup free or Disney pays for syrup and gets the machines free
The cost of fountain soda is super low for all restaurants, not just Disney. Like $0.10-0.20 for a cup of soda.

The cost of fountain soda is super low for all restaurants, not just Disney. Like $0.10-0.20 for a cup of soda.
DDP guests are generally allowed a plastic bottle of soda, water etc.
Supermarket price is around .60. Disney's cost has to be less. I'm sure under .50 more likely 25 cents.

I'm just glad to see a return to normalcy with the debate about whether or not the DDP is worth it lol.. Honestly, it works for some people and not for others. It is worth it for my family and a lot of that reason is because I like to prepay as much as possible because I get anxiety about that final bill. Some people aren't going to agree or understand that and that's fine. That's why we have choices.

Where is this on the WDW site?
I don't see it on the WDW site, only the Mickey Blog link in the first post.

The WDW "Important Information" has:
Important Information

• Beverages are included with each meal. Guests under 21 years of age may choose from a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. Guests 21 and older with valid identification may substitute for beer, wine and cocktails.
  • Reservations at Table-Service restaurants are subject to availability and are highly recommended.
  • Two table-service meals will be redeemed from the dining plan for each person dining at a Fine/Signature Dining experience, select Character Dining experience or a Dinner Show.
  • Guests ages 3 to 9 must order from a children’s menu, where available.
  • Plan must be purchased for entire length of stay and for the entire party (ages 3 and up).

I'm just glad to see a return to normalcy with the debate about whether or not the DDP is worth it lol.. Honestly, it works for some people and not for others. It is worth it for my family and a lot of that reason is because I like to prepay as much as possible because I get anxiety about that final bill. Some people aren't going to agree or understand that and that's fine. That's why we have choices.
That's why we saved up gift cards and used those to spend on food. It's the same concept of paying in advance, but we always ended up spending less than the cost of the dining plan, which meant we had money on the gift card for things such as food/drinks that aren't included on the dining plan as well as leftover money for souvenirs.

Will there even be a debate though? I thought Disney would have priced the dining plan closer to $200 a day and allowed you to make dining reservations before anyone else. People would still have bought it and convinced themselves that they were still saving money somehow.

These prices are INSANE. Anyone who can do any kind of math I would think would steer clear of them. Our last trip we spent about $5500 for a family of 7, 12 Disney days of our 15 day trip (not counting Universal days). We ate one TS meal, 1 QS meal and at least 2 snacks a day. We ate at many “signature” and character meals that would require 2 credits off plan. If we were to do DDP it would cost $7700 for same people, same amount of time and we’d get significantly less food (only 1 snack, using 2 credits for the fine dining, etc). We’re not drinkers so maybe that factors in but in this situation had we had the option of DDP on this trip we would’ve saved $2200 by not getting the plan and we would’ve gotten MORE food. No brainer to me. No amount of convenience is worth that much money

Will there even be a debate though? I thought Disney would have priced the dining plan closer to $200 a day and allowed you to make dining reservations before anyone else. People would still have bought it and convinced themselves that they were still saving money somehow.
Yep, and the Disney planners are already trying to convince people to get it. "You won't have to worry about your final bill" Because really, the more you spend, the more the planner earns.

• Select quick service and table service restaurants may count as two credits.
Some quick services will be 2 credits, interesting.
Where is this on the WDW site?
It was on the blog posted. I believe it may be misinformation. The Disney website only mentions requiring 2 quick service credits for the "pizza meal" at various resorts (a whole pizza & 2 drinks = 2 credits).

That's why we saved up gift cards and used those to spend on food. It's the same concept of paying in advance, but we always ended up spending less than the cost of the dining plan, which meant we had money on the gift card for things such as food/drinks that aren't included on the dining plan as well as leftover money for souvenirs.
And you can use the GC for gratuitities.

So why don't restaurants who sell soda get accused of price gouging?
They were. That's why many (most?) places which sell fountain soda now offer free refills. Self service take out, such as 7-11, offer extremely large cups for a modest upcharge.

So why don't restaurants who sell soda get accused of price gouging?
I don't know. It is why McDonald's often sells all sizes of fountain drinks for $1. They're still making a profit and it draws people in to buy more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter