Primetime, Sci-Fi or Hollywood&Vine

jgleason

Earning My Ears
Having a little difficult in deciding where to eat on our first day at disney. We will be doing a half day at Hollywoood studios and want opinions on the whether to choose Primtime, Sci-fi or Hollywood and Vine. There will be 4 of us. 9 yr old and 4 yr old. Looking to do a lunch. Which would work better for us?

Visit June 18-22, 2018

I don't think Hollywood and Vine is very good, but if you would prefer a buffet it is the only one at Hollywood Studios.

My favorite Hollywood Studios restaurant is the Primetime. I love the décor, wait staff, and the comfort food! I've never been disappointed by a meal here and would be my personal recommendation.

I also enjoy the Sci-Fi, but the car seating set up will mean that your family will probably have to dine somewhat separately. You would be in the same car but you would be divvied up into two rows most likely.

Thank you for the info. Primetime is currently at the top of the list for this park.

Having a little difficult in deciding where to eat on our first day at disney. We will be doing a half day at Hollywoood studios and want opinions on the whether to choose Primtime, Sci-fi or Hollywood and Vine. There will be 4 of us. 9 yr old and 4 yr old. Looking to do a lunch. Which would work better for us?

Visit June 18-22, 2018
Sci Fi is our go-to restaurant at HS. Love the drive-in theming, and the food is tasty. The bbq rib plate is good, and they have good shakes. It's very Disney and a great way to start a vacation.

Last edited:

Unless you want the characters, most people say H&V isn’t good. We like Sci Fi but haven’t tried Prime Time yet. I’m on the fence between those two for our trip so I’ll let the kids decide after we tell them at Christmas

We've been to all three...H&V is ok for breakfast, but wouldn't go for any other meal. 50s is fun, but I never feel the food lives up to all of the raves. Sci Fi has a neat atmosphere, but the menu isn't overly exciting...yet, what we've has been consistently decent and we can get out of there for a little less $. Sci Fi is my choice out of those three.

50’s PTC is my choice. I have eaten at all 3. H&V is the only restaurant in all of WDW I will never return to. Horrible.
Sci Fi was good but the set up isn’t great for families with little ones. I love the comfort food at 50’s.

If want characters then go H&V. Otherwise go with primetime. Sci-fi is kind of an issue with the way the tables are arranged you don't face each other. Might be an issue with really small ones.

50's Prime Time. Comfy family atmosphere, familiar, comfortable food choices and you can actually interact as a family. Sci Fi seating is awkward and H&V is chaotic with not the best buffet food. The kids food there is very basic but you will pay a premium.

We went to H&V in May expecting nothing and it was actually a pretty decent buffet. I would rank the food we had there above Chef Mickey’s and CP (low bar, yes, but if you want characters ...). I remember hearing somewhere that they had upped their game a bit. I wouldn’t put it above 50s PT quality-wise but sometimes it’s nice to be able to have kids just go up to a buffet.

Sci Fi is a must each trip for us. Love the atmosphere, cars and movie clips.

I like 50's but DH and DD did not like the antics. They were just not into them. I really like the antics and wanted more. We thought the food was good, very homey. The chicken pot pie was really good.

I have never been to Hollywood and Vine, but since it is a character buffet, I would probably only go there if I was specifically looking for a character experience.

Of Sci Fi and Prime Time, I prefer Sci Fi. I would recommend Sci Fi if you are looking for a quiet break to decompress and don't really care if you interact/chat with your family. If getting in quality family time/discussion is important to you, I would go with Prime Time.

I like the Prime Time more than the Sci Fi Cafe. The only good thing I can say about my food at the Sci Fi was that it was edible. And that was all. But I really enjoy my food at the Prime Time Cafe. I had the sampler last month, and it was very good. Some of the best pot roast I have ever had. And the fried chicken is always tasty.

I'd choose Sci Fi over 50's Primetime for both food and atmosphere.
If you want to do a buffet, I'd recommend H&V. The lunch buffet was delicious. :)

Visit June 18-22, 2018
I find that the theming at Prime Time can be 'lost' on children who have no idea what a formica tabletop is/was. Black & White TV's fall into the same category - lost on youngsters. So too do some of the table manners of yesteryear - lost on youngsters. But the food at Prime Time is just better than Sci-Fi, imho.

Sci-Fi - the room itself - is uniquely Disney and provides the, "Wow," factor. But the food - meh.

If you've never been - Sci-Fi. However, if someone in your family typically prefers big plates of food - Prime Time.

Choice three - Hollywood & Vine. Disney Jr. characters won't work so well for your 9 y.o., but may be better than sitting through the Disney Jr. show. I rarely 'recommend' buffets, unless the food is an afterthought.

Your 9 yo would probably find 50's PT amusing, esp if they pick on you and your DH ;) I went as a child and it was one of my favorite memories of seeing the waiter pick on my dad. It'll be mostly lost on the 4 yo, though. We love the food - just ate there yesterday again and it was great as always.

I do think SciFi is super fun for kids and both of yours are old enough to enjoy it. The food isn't amazing but the atmosphere is. I'm bringing my 7 yo niece in the spring and taking her here because I think she'll love the theming.

First avoid H&V, of the other 2 70's is where my family eats but they are more burger oriented (younger ones may not get the theme of the drive in). You may want to go to PrimeTime the selection is a lot wider.

Skip Hollywood and Vine! Sci Fi or Prime Time are both good, so either one of them. My only complaint is with the wait time we have had at Prime Time. We ate there 2 times and had to wait around 20 minutes to be seated.

With a 4 year old I'd probably consider H&V. While not spectacular we found it ok. And my kids loved the characters as these were the ones they were familiar with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter