Princess Phoebe's Pre-WISH-Trip Report (arriving in MK 4/17/10)

Melissa,
YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!!! WAHOO!!!

It's worth a call about the rental car since we also had trouble (we're a family of 6 so we had a minivan, but we could've used the passenger space (2 extras were with us) for the trips to the parks. We were tired and hungry and again "felt bad" about asking for something different. In hindsight, I would've called a day or so ahead, explained the situation, and offered to pay for the upgrade out of the expense check. Would've been well worth it!

Good luck!!!!
Have fun!! (no questions about that!)

See you on the other side!!!
Bon Voyage and safe travels!!!!

Blessings,

If it were me, I would ask. I don't think anyone at MAW would be happy if they knew your DH took two trips just to get your stuff to GKTW. You could try with a phone call to the car rental company first, and see what they say when you tell them the story. Maybe they'll just upgrade you without MAW even knowing what happened.

Good luck with all the last minute packing today!! Woo HOO!!! Have a fantastic time!!! :cool1::woohoo::yay::cheer2:

Those are some gorgeous pictures of Tessa in the backyard. Of course the ones from ballet are great too, but the backyard ones look like pictures from a baby magazine!

I also LOVE the picture of Phoebe pulling the wish granters hair. I mean, i'm sure it didn't feel good, you can tell by her face, but the pic is just too funny!

Did you decide what you were going to do about the car rental. It's not that you'd just "like" to have something else, it's kind of necessary.

WELL, YOU'LL BE AT GKTW AND DISNEY VERY SOON!!!

Sorry to have been MIA for so long! I hope to go back and catch up but I wanted to stop by and say. . .

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!! :cool1::woohoo::cheer2::yay:

Just wanted to stop by and say I hope the 4 of you have an amazing time filled with many magical moments! :tinker:

When you wish upon a star...

Have the most wonderful trip EVER!! Make some happy memories together and ENJOY!!!

oh gee..................looks like the final send off has begun!

Have a great time............................ride lots of rides........................see lots of shows........................hug lots of characters..........................talk lots of pictures.........................and then come back and start that TR lickety split :)

I'll be waiting;)

Trying to get a particular car at a Car Rental Agency on the day you arrive is pretty tough..If they have a few days to work on it, they may be able to pull a van/SUV from another AVIS location and get it to MCO by the time you arrive.

Yeah, having NO options when we arrive was my biggest reason for wanting to call now.

Melissa,

Honestly, tell Tim that Jake and I feel very similarly to him about everything being a gift and incredible, etc., but this is just one area where I would ask, nicely. I agree that if they are going to be able to do anything about it, they might need a day's notice because they may not have inventory there at the moment. You could even suggest that you could use part of your expense check for the upgrade, if it makes Tim feel better (I'm sure they would say no, and/or Avis would upgrade you for free if they can, but at least you can tell Tim you offered). Explain about the wheelchair. We have a minivan rented, and I bet it's done purely based on family size. I'd bet your wheelchair makes your family's size needs as great as ours, with just one more child.

Please ask. And again, we are a family who likes to "make do" with whatever people in their incredible kindness have offered us. But this is not a preference issue, it's a practical/logistical issue re your ability to get around.

All thoughts similar to what I'm thinking but it's always nice to hear you're not the only one.

(On an unrelated note, still no packing done. We have all tried on bathing suits and found some that fit -- although my oldest is insisting on wearing ones that my hubby thinks are DEFINITELY too small -- at least she doesn't have enough of a figure to start people talking.... I spent last night until two am doing bills and writing letters to labs/collections agencies, etc. about insurance nightmares. Had to get done. It will be a LATE night tonight. So if you want to post at 2 am EDT, I will be up up up!!!!)

I don't have enough extra clothes to pack them up any sooner than today so I'm still working on it. The kids are 99% done though, which is definitely the harder part for me.

We were tired and hungry and again "felt bad" about asking for something different. In hindsight, I would've called a day or so ahead, explained the situation, and offered to pay for the upgrade out of the expense check. Would've been well worth it!

Experience speaks volumes! I know if we don't try we'll be thinking we wish we had every time we get in or out of the car.

If it were me, I would ask. I don't think anyone at MAW would be happy if they knew your DH took two trips just to get your stuff to GKTW. You could try with a phone call to the car rental company first, and see what they say when you tell them the story. Maybe they'll just upgrade you without MAW even knowing what happened.

I was thinking the same thing - what would they think if they saw us pull up with a suitcase bungee corded to the ceiling of this car? Or found out we made two trips, or...:rolleyes: I'm sure they don't want that.

Those are some gorgeous pictures of Tessa in the backyard. Of course the ones from ballet are great too, but the backyard ones look like pictures from a baby magazine!

Aw, thanks! I've been out of practice for a few years but I do hope to go pro again once Tessa is in school.

I also LOVE the picture of Phoebe pulling the wish granters hair. I mean, i'm sure it didn't feel good, you can tell by her face, but the pic is just too funny!

I think she was just caught up in the energy and "exploring" her fairy godmother. :rotfl:

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!! :cool1::woohoo::cheer2::yay:

Just wanted to stop by and say I hope the 4 of you have an amazing time filled with many magical moments! :tinker:

Have a safe and magical trip! :wizard:

Have a great time!!! :wizard:

When you wish upon a star...
Have the most wonderful trip EVER!! Make some happy memories together and ENJOY!!!

Have a super trip!:goodvibes

Thanks everyone!

Couple more brief updates to follow....

I tried calling Avis and got the run around. I don't have a confirmation number for our res. so they transferred me to the airport location. That wasn't the right number, so they gave me another. I called that one and they didn't show us. I think it's just too complicated for them not knowing who made the res.

I called GKTW and Polly told me that MAW is the one who rented the car for us. (She also told me that Nickelodeon doesn't have a character day, until I mentioned Sponge Bob, Blue's Clues, having been there and she then said, yeah some of the characters come here (???) but they never know which ones. I was already flustered with this car rental thing and didn't push it any further. Katie had some great suggestions about asking for the guy that organizes it to see if he just might be able to get Blue for us, but I couldn't remember his name and just dropped it and told her thanks. Maybe I'll ask again when we arrive.)

Then I called the "Wish Manager" for the AZ chapter. Got his voice mail and left what I hope was a polite and sincere message regarding the rental car. I did mention paying for any difference out of our expense check. After I hung up I got scared that he might be out today or something, so I called Liz, the wish granter, also. She didn't give me any particular feedback but said she would call the same guy and get back to me in an hour or so.....

So how am I doing on my crazy week so far? Completed items in Green, didn't get done yet in Red and unplanned time wasters in orange.

Monday
-babysit from 5am-2pm
- pick up/drop off dog for partial day dog-sitting
- do more laundry, decide which clothes to pack
- DH walk-in clinic

Tuesday
- babysit from 5am-2pm
- teach preschool from 8-10am
- meet with Phoebe's county services coordinator at 12:30pm
- make Neurologist appt for Phoebe for May because her seizures are increasing in number and severity (found out that our last Neuro in TX followed us here to AZ! I specifically requested NOT that one)
- call charter school about Tessa early enrollment (age 5 after cut-off)
- reorganize bathroom drawer after Tessa played "make-up artist"

- pack up carry-ons
- most of the kids stuff is done, but not cameras, and grown up stuff
- returned library items, deposited babysitting check, shopped for airplane snacks - is the FAA rule still 3 oz.?
Juice boxes are TOO BIG???

Wednesday
- meet with tax guy to sign stuff at 10am
- take Tessa to McD's playland for being so good at tax appt
- clean up McD's throw up on garage floor (I didn't believe her when she said she was going to throw up! Poor girl! I thought she wanted to play with her "car bracelets" so I said no. Bad mommy!)
- follow Tessa and friend around the backyard taking pics with NEW CAMERA!

- take Tessa to ballet from 3:15 to 3:45pm
- invite fairy godmothers to join us for pizza on Thurs
- check for cheaper car rentals for week 2 (nothing cheaper yet, but will try again at some point to bid on priceline)
- look for airport transport (but long term park isn't bad at ours...okay, one shuttle says 75.00 from our area, is this PP??? long term parking is as low as 4/day for the cheapest lot)

- make week 2 reservations (I just can't commit, but I have choices narrowed down!)

Thursday
- teach preschool from 8-10am
- decide to have preschoolers make and decorate sugar cookies which makes class run over time
- shop for dog food, DH sunglasses, DH flip flops
- PO to mail state tax check/fill out hold mail form
- return India Arie CD to the library that was still in player when I went on Tuesday (grrrrrr)

- possibly follow up with charter school on enrollment
- possibly go to shoe store in town to exchange size for Tessa
- possibly go to optometrist in town to get P's glasses re-fitted
- meet wish granters at 6pm

Friday
- panic!!!
- final load of laundry to pack
- Tim get battery charger for DVD player

- pedi for me
- chiropractor for me
- haircut for Tim (at his fave place)
- trim girls' hair at old neighbor's in-home salon 4:00

Saturday
- leave garage door opener for friend to get dog later
- limo arrives at 5:30, leave home by 6am to be at airport by 6:20
- depart 7:50am
- fly all day, layover, wait, fly, etc, arrive in Orlando at 7pm (yawn)
- start having fun :rotfl2:

I called GKTW and Polly told me that MAW is the one who rented the car for us. (She also told me that Nickelodeon doesn't have a character day, until I mentioned Sponge Bob, Blue's Clues, having been there and she then said, yeah some of the characters come here (???) but they never know which ones. I was already flustered with this car rental thing and didn't push it any further. Katie had some great suggestions about asking for the guy that organizes it to see if he just might be able to get Blue for us, but I couldn't remember his name and just dropped it and told her thanks. Maybe I'll ask again when we arrive.)

Melissa,
I spoke with the GKTW volunteer that was taking the pictures the morning of Nick characters and they didn't know who was coming -- I think they just send whoever is available -- at least that's what it sounds like. We were hoping for Spongebob (but we did get to meet him at US) for Sigs, but that day Patrick came! FYI -- Patrick can't sign -- he's a starfish and doesn't have hands!!! :rotfl:

Keep trying to reach Avis -- the folks on the phone will be much more helpful than those at the counters -- at least that's what we found. We also had Avis and the guy at the counter was NOT helpful at all. He actually implied we were lying about the # of seatbelts in the car they gave us!!! :mad:

Lookin' good! I'm just impressed that you've made such a list. I just wing-it!

I also wanted to provide you a different perspective that might alleviate any of the guilt/anxiety you (and/or dh) may still be feeling re: this car situation. It is very possible that they did make a mistake.............that someone was supposed to double check something or that the wish granter was supposed to check with you first re: your needs or some such thing. So if you don't bring it to their attention, what's going to keep it from happening again? Consider this an opportunity to help them make sure another Wish family doesn't find themselves in the same predicament in the future?

It's kind of like the Wish tripper awhile back (I honestly can't remember who) who didn't want to tell their chapter that the information they had given them about their baggage policies (specifically car seats I think) was wrong. They felt badly. Unfortunately by not telling them they risked the same misinformation being passed on to another family.

So look it as something positive you're doing (potentially helping a future family) rather than something negative (being an ungrateful Wish mom).

There. Feel better now?

:)

hey! Just read the first part of the thread but won't have time to read the rest before it's time for us to leave. Just wanted to say I'm so excited for y'all. I'll look for you and you look for us. Have a great time!!

Tomorrow Tomorrow is only a day away! :cool1: Your list is almost done, way to go. I also agree with everyone else and am glad you called. I hope they can get it resolved for you. Believe me after all that travel time all your going to wantto do is get to the village and relax for awhile. Have the best trip ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter