Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

I know they had Leia during one of the last rival runs

I’d love to see non official “princesses/heroines” like meg, Esmeralda, kida, Jane,Alice, Wendy, Mirabel…

Not me...if I am running a Princess race....I want it to be a princess.

Now, I know this may be very get off my lawn-ish....but it already annoys me that the Disney Princess brand has incorporated people who are, neither by birth nor by marriage, a princess. (Fa Mulan, etc) I love Mulan, I do. But, I think it's fine to have Disney characters who aren't "Princess" by brand. Anyway, it's always annoyed me.

Anyway...I feel like if it's a princess race, it should stick as close to that as possible. Not make it a "any female who has ever been in a Disney movie" race.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man in a younger woman's body. It's true.

Not me...if I am running a Princess race....I want it to be a princess.

Now, I know this may be very get off my lawn-ish....but it already annoys me that the Disney Princess brand has incorporated people who are, neither by birth nor by marriage, a princess. (Fa Mulan, etc) I love Mulan, I do. But, I think it's fine to have Disney characters who aren't "Princess" by brand. Anyway, it's always annoyed me.

Anyway...I feel like if it's a princess race, it should stick as close to that as possible. Not make it a "any female who has ever been in a Disney movie" race.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man in a younger woman's body. It's true.
You’re not the only one who gets irked about that. Now that Disney has Springtime Surprise, they have the perfect opportunity to have a “Heroine’s Weekend” where the could celebrate all the women who aren’t princesses

I’m sorry if my comment offended anyone…I just was trying to think of some fresh ideas aside from recycling the same handful of characters year after year…. I know they did sleeping beauties fairies one year for a challenge what are your takes on princess support characters like that

I’m sorry if my comment offended anyone…I just was trying to think of some fresh ideas aside from recycling the same handful of characters year after year…. I know they did sleeping beauties fairies one year for a challenge what are your takes on princess support characters like that

Haha, not offended at all!

My response was very much tongue in cheek, and posted with a sense of mirth.

I do agree opening it up to more characters would open up more ideas. I think there are some great female characters that aren't princesses, and frankly stronger than some princesses. I was already considering Meg as a costume idea. I want to do the 5k and 10k so that means I need two costumes.

In a surprise to me, my daughter has convinced my wife to cancel her idea of going to Hawaii in 2023 and instead it looks like we're planning a return trip for Princess Weekend 2023. My daughter had too much fun running the 5k and wants to do it again. She's already got costume ideas percolating and wants us to go bigger and better the next time around. So in all likelihood, see you there. Who else is considering Princess Weekend 2023?
I’ve never done a rundisney event but considering Princess next year. I’m not a runner. I may jog some but mostly walk. I did the Susan G Komen 3 day (20 miles a day) pre COVID (2019). And did a 10k a month before COVID. Thinking about doing the 10k and half to make the trip worth while. Do you think that’s feasible with training?

Also when do you recommend booking hotel?

I’ve never done a rundisney event but considering Princess next year. I’m not a runner. I may jog some but mostly walk. I did the Susan G Komen 3 day (20 miles a day) pre COVID (2019). And did a 10k a month before COVID. Thinking about doing the 10k and half to make the trip worth while. Do you think that’s feasible with training?

You've got about 10 months to train. So I don't think it's unreasonable. The sooner you start getting into a good training routine the better. The minimum required pace from the last person starting either the 10k or the HM is a 16:00 min/mile. So for the 10k that's a 1:39 hr finish, and for the HM a 3:30 hr finish. Of course, the sooner you start the race compared to the last person, the additional buffer you'd get up to 60 min. So conceivably you could get an additional 0-45 min on top of the 1:39 hr and 3:30 hr based on starting position. How do these paces and time compare to what you're currently capable of while walking?

Anytime you're ready to commit to the race weekend. I've already started the process of securing a room.

Book when you're ready. I own DVC so I do this early.

The Challenge is totally doable with training.

But DO train. And be sure you can keep the minutes per mile faster than the required level. There is usually an amount of fudging you can do with timing, but you never know when things will happen all at once and they'll be strict.

This isn't meant to sound scary. I've been doing Princess since 2016 and I'm going back for 2023, so this isn't intended to discourage you at all. I'm honest and open simply to show you why you want to train.

Princess 2020, going by official mileage and my Garmin's time, I had a 19:08 pace for the Half. No issues with finishing. This year's princess I did the 10K, and my Garmin shows I had 17:46 per mile (when I calculate it using just 10K and not the extra from weaving). I never even saw the "balloon ladies" who are the unofficial, visual representation of the people who will pull you from the race. Not in 2020 or years before, and not at the 10K this year.

I also did the Half this year, and my Garmin shows that I did 9.30 miles at a 16:50 pace. The extra .30 is from weaving, because I was pulled AT the 9 mile marker. That means my pace was actually 17:25 when you calculate it for 9 miles; faster than the 10K. I did only 9 because I was pulled from the course. I had been battling the balloon ladies for over 2 miles by mile 9. (me and many many other people with me; there was a line of buses that pulled up at mile 9 to get us all)

The events that piled up were: we had had a late start due to terrible bus transportation issues at MANY onsite hotels that morning which meant they were watching the time more, heat in the forecast (which means they want people done before the major heat shows up), and a possibly due to a medical emergency requiring CPR just beyond the mile 9 mark. Those things clumped up and caused them to close the course at that point.

My own personal issues, which had nothing to do with disney and I'm adding so you know I have a lot of responsibility for what happened, were... I didn't finish my training cycle or even get close, I'd been sick with you-know-what in January and couldn't try to finish my training last-minute once I realized I'd never gotten further than 4 miles in the training cycle, I'm too heavy for my frame and my knees REALLY suffer when I'm at this size, and I have NO heat tolerance. I had also been caught in the transportation snafu and was panicking which did unpleasant things to my heart rate and made it harder for me overall. And I started further back in my corral than I wanted to, which gave me less buffer. My cousin was in the same boat as me in terms of transportation and panic, and she did just fine, FWIW.

It all added up for me!

So make SURE you train for something faster than the requirement. Also remember that you might need bathroom breaks and waiting in line to take photos with characters.

I hope I haven't scared you off, since it isn't my intention. Knowledge is power, and I never want anyone else to be on the bus going back to epcot rather than making their own way across the finish line.

Forgive me if this has been asked before .... Do they usually release who the princesses are going to be before registration?

I'm going to add my two cents to the discussion. Yes, it is possible. But I always try to add that a challenge is very different than a regular race. Things that you might be able to get away with for a regular race (lack of attention to proper training, nutrition, rest, recovery, etc.) can start to catch up with you by day 2 of a challenge. I was able to muscle through my first half marathon, but my lack of strength training led to me getting injured during the training for my first challenge. Learn from my mistakes - don't skip the strength training!

Do a lot of research (there are TONS of resources on these threads and on the internet) about what is takes to do a runDisney challenge and then ask yourself whether you have the time, money, and interest to do the work. If you do, that's great! Welcome to the crowd of crazies. If not, there's no harm and no shame in saying that the shorter distances are more your speed.

Forgive me if this has been asked before .... Do they usually release who the princesses are going to be before registration?
I know 2021’s virtual and 2022’s live/virtual hybrid did….

Considering W&D is the first race of the season and it’s hybrid again It’s possible we will get a pre registration reveal as well…

Fwiw wine and dine posted key art a month before registration…Meanwhile club RunDisney registration for marathon is next week and nothing has been teased

IIRC, the last few years they have, but back in the day they didn't always. I think we got W&D themes before registration so I'd say we're likely to get princesses before registration.

You've got about 10 months to train. So I don't think it's unreasonable. The sooner you start getting into a good training routine the better. The minimum required pace from the last person starting either the 10k or the HM is a 16:00 min/mile. So for the 10k that's a 1:39 hr finish, and for the HM a 3:30 hr finish. Of course, the sooner you start the race compared to the last person, the additional buffer you'd get up to 60 min. So conceivably you could get an additional 0-45 min on top of the 1:39 hr and 3:30 hr based on starting position. How do these paces and time compare to what you're currently capable of while walking?

Anytime you're ready to commit to the race weekend. I've already started the process of securing a room.
I’ve been able to do that pace for previous. I just have to get back to training. I’m not sure if I’ll have someone with me. In my previous races, i had a small group with me so that helped me pace myself a lot! Training won’t be an issue. I can still train with my group for the long distances on the weekends. I live in Texas so it’ll be fairly warm during the winter. Thank you for the recommendations!

Book when you're ready. I own DVC so I do this early.

The Challenge is totally doable with training.

But DO train. And be sure you can keep the minutes per mile faster than the required level. There is usually an amount of fudging you can do with timing, but you never know when things will happen all at once and they'll be strict.

This isn't meant to sound scary. I've been doing Princess since 2016 and I'm going back for 2023, so this isn't intended to discourage you at all. I'm honest and open simply to show you why you want to train.

Princess 2020, going by official mileage and my Garmin's time, I had a 19:08 pace for the Half. No issues with finishing. This year's princess I did the 10K, and my Garmin shows I had 17:46 per mile (when I calculate it using just 10K and not the extra from weaving). I never even saw the "balloon ladies" who are the unofficial, visual representation of the people who will pull you from the race. Not in 2020 or years before, and not at the 10K this year.

I also did the Half this year, and my Garmin shows that I did 9.30 miles at a 16:50 pace. The extra .30 is from weaving, because I was pulled AT the 9 mile marker. That means my pace was actually 17:25 when you calculate it for 9 miles; faster than the 10K. I did only 9 because I was pulled from the course. I had been battling the balloon ladies for over 2 miles by mile 9. (me and many many other people with me; there was a line of buses that pulled up at mile 9 to get us all)

The events that piled up were: we had had a late start due to terrible bus transportation issues at MANY onsite hotels that morning which meant they were watching the time more, heat in the forecast (which means they want people done before the major heat shows up), and a possibly due to a medical emergency requiring CPR just beyond the mile 9 mark. Those things clumped up and caused them to close the course at that point.

My own personal issues, which had nothing to do with disney and I'm adding so you know I have a lot of responsibility for what happened, were... I didn't finish my training cycle or even get close, I'd been sick with you-know-what in January and couldn't try to finish my training last-minute once I realized I'd never gotten further than 4 miles in the training cycle, I'm too heavy for my frame and my knees REALLY suffer when I'm at this size, and I have NO heat tolerance. I had also been caught in the transportation snafu and was panicking which did unpleasant things to my heart rate and made it harder for me overall. And I started further back in my corral than I wanted to, which gave me less buffer. My cousin was in the same boat as me in terms of transportation and panic, and she did just fine, FWIW.

It all added up for me!

So make SURE you train for something faster than the requirement. Also remember that you might need bathroom breaks and waiting in line to take photos with characters.

I hope I haven't scared you off, since it isn't my intention. Knowledge is power, and I never want anyone else to be on the bus going back to epcot rather than making their own way across the finish line.
I’m so sorry! It sounds like you had quite an ordeal but you should be proud for getting out there and trying to do it. Sounds like a lot of those obstacles were out of your hands. I too worry about injuries because I am a bit older than I was when I did the 3 day/60 mile. At least I’m starting to feel older in my body lol. So maybe that’s what’s driving me to do it. And ofcourse it’s Disney!

Hi, We have done the marathon races combined with a family vacation for the past 6 years (minus 2 Covid years) but now my oldest is starting middle school and I no longer feel comfortable taking him out of school for a week to go to Disney! They happen to have off the week before the Princess races so I booked a DVC stay for that time. Am I crazy thinking we can run the 5k with my 6 and 12 year olds? I've heard they don't really enforce the time cutoff for the 5k, is this correct? Most of the photos I see are only of adults - are there kids that young that do it? Also, how soon does the 5k sell out? Registering for the marathon/ half last year was very nerve-wracking. I don't want to get 2 of us registered then not be able to get the other 2 or something! Thanks for any info (before I go crazy planning our costumes!)

Am I crazy thinking we can run the 5k with my 6 and 12 year olds? I've heard they don't really enforce the time cutoff for the 5k, is this correct? Most of the photos I see are only of adults - are there kids that young that do it?

From runDisney race policies: All participants for a 5K distance must be at least 5 years of age on race day to participate. They don't sweep for the 5K, but if you are towards the back of the pack, they will cut off the character stops.

As you know, the races start EARLY. How are your kids going to react to a 2:30 a.m. (or earlier) wake-up call?

If you want a first hand account of running the 5K with a kid, @DopeyBadger did a great job with his race report from this year's Princess in his training journal.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-better-dopeybadger-comments-welcome.3475601/

Also, how soon does the 5k sell out?

Check out this thread for the historical data

https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter