Princesses at Disneyland, part 1 Dec. 11-16

abby

Abby's Mom
Cast, me 44, dd 71/2, and ddgodmother 55, DD and I have been three other times just the two of us (although I don't really count trip 2 as we both got sick and saw more of the room then the parks.) Our last trip was October of 2006. Godmother hasn't been since her son (who is now 30 was 12 or so)

Godmother has been dying to go with us, but well, as much as I wanted her to come and as much as I love her husband, he wouldn't be much fun. Then after our trip in October of 06 she announced she really wanted to go and was leaving her husband at home. So we start planning.

Decided to go in December of 2007 because we hadn't been there at christmas before and wanted to see it all decorated.

Planning started months and months ago (ok as soon as I got back in October of 2006.)

Step one:wait for school calendar to come out for 06-07 year before we pick dates. Wanted to go early December but still have kid have a week of school before x-mas break. Picked December 11-16.

Step two, Lodging: First made ressies at HOJO with the ent rate for 69 a night theme park view. While we love staying on site it is just so expensive. Then last summer I read on these boards that we could get a great AP rate for our dates, so I booked PP concierge at 189 a night. (You know spend more because it is such a good deal.......) At least this trip I had someome to share hotel expenses with. (Oh yeah and so now I have to buy an AP)

Step Three: Airfare watched the prices and booked on Alaska in July when prices went down. Picked an early am flight because my choice was early am or not till afternoon..........same with flight home, picked a 7:30 flight because I knew I would need to get my x-mas tree when we got home that Sunday (ok ok I plan way ahead........)

Step four: e-mail godmother with our flights so she can book her's (did I mention we live in Portland and she lives in Seattle.)

Step five: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT
Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan,Plan, Plan, Plan, Plan

Finally the day comes. We are packed the night before and have to leave for the airport at 5:30 am. Ick, Ick, Ick. My mother is house sitting and dog sitting for us while we are gone, she decided it might freeze the night before we left, so she decided she had to spend the night. There goes my chance for a good nights sleep.......

Arrive at PDX have plenty of time, meet Ruthie T and her family who are on this flight. Easy to spot her after all the time we both spend on these boards.

Arrive at SNA a little early and godmother is waiting for us. Collect luggage, jump in a cab and arrive at PP. We go to the concierge lounge knock on the door, in we go. DD snacks while I check in. Our room is not ready so we leave luggage with the bell desk, grab snacks and water and head to the park. DD begs to ride the monorail, but I refuse, I just have to enter through the front gates and see main street first.

In we go with our new AP's. I decided since I needed to buy one for the room rate, I might as well buy the kid one and so we just have to go back this year. Godmother decided since it wasn't a lot more then a 5 day park hopper she would get one as well.

Love the christmas decorations, loved the tree on main street, loved the castle. Rode Buzz lightyear first, (dd insisted on going with godmother not me...this becomes a theme for our trip) Did small world, Jungle cruise, pooh, godmother did pirates (dd still won't go on it) went through the tree house, We were all tired and hungry, had a corn dog from the stand by plaza inn, didn't like them much, too much corn for the dog.

Called PP a few times during the afternoon, finally at 3 our room is ready. We decide to head back and check it out.

15th floor, great view of Calif. Adventure. Room has two queens and a day bed. Hugh bathroom with separate toliet which worked great for us.

Godmother was exhusted by then, so dd and I head to the pool and godmother rests. Way to cold for me to swim, I did get in the pool but couldn't last. I go to hot tub and kid swims for a bit then joins me in the hot tub. (note to parents, if you have kids in the hot tub, please tell them it is not a pool, do not spash others, do not try and swim do not try and stand on your hands......) Back to the room.

Arrive at Concierge Lounge at 5 for the wine and cheese hour. Enjoyed hot dish, first night it was chicken quesdillas (sp), large platter of various cheeses, crackers, bread, veggie tray, small tarts and cookies. Oh yeah and the glasses of wine. At our fill (enjoyed some wine) and back to the parks this time by monorail, got to sit up front by the conductor.

Wanted to see the Parade at 6:30 and was amazed at the crowds already lined up at 6 on a Tuesday night. Went up by the tree on main street and found a spot. Great parade. Didn't last long after the parade, it was windy and I figured no fireworks, we were all exhusted and well, dd does not like DL at night. She doesn't like dark. Loved the lights on the castle and it's a small world.

Back to the hotel, by monorail we were all exhusted, since we had been up at 5 this am. Wanted a good nights sleep so we could be ready for Wednesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter