• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess's 1st trip to Disney for her 4th birthday

MisplacedTraveler

DIS Veteran
This is my first attempt at a Pre-TR. So, please bear with me as I share my story.

How it began:
November 2005, my BFF and my BFF’s DH found out that they were expecting their first baby. Fast forward one month to Christmas Day 2005, I found out that my DH and I were expecting our first baby. Yea! Our kids would be playmates. :cheer2:

The girls were born 3 weeks and 2 days apart. Soon after their birth, my BFF and I decided that we would take the girls to WDW for their 4th birthday and continue this tradition every 4 years. This will be the girls 1st visit to any of the Disney Parks.

Dates: July 31 – August 7, 2010

Lodging: Animal Kingdom Lodge – Club Level Savannah View. Only the best for their 1st trip!

Cast:
Me, Keli, 31, stay-at-home mom, auditor and trip planning aficionado
DH, 31, CBPO
DD, 3, 1st trip to Disney and it had to be WDW
BFF, 31, teacher
BFF’s DH, 32, survey crew chief
BFF’s DD, 4, 1st trip to Disney and it had to be WDW

Experience:
Very experienced – me (this is my 37th trip to WDW)
Little experience – DH (5th trip), BFF (4th trip), and BFF’s DH (2nd trip)
1st Trip – DD and BFF’s DD

Transportation: American Airlines (My DH, DD, and me), Continental (My BFF, BFF’s DH, and BFF’s DD) and Disney’s Magical Express

In this report:
• Planning
• Day 0 – July 30
• Day 1 – July 31
• Day 2 – Aug 1
• Day 3 – Aug 2
• Day 4 – Aug 3
• Day 5 – Aug 4
• Day 6 – Aug 5
• Day 7 – Aug 6
• Day 8 – Aug 7
• Conclusion

In this trip report, I will often refer to my DD and my BFF’s DD as the girls.

Up Next…Planning Begins

I am a self-proclaimed trip planning aficionado and a little obsessive compulsion. I started planning this trip in January 2009. Yes, yes, I know…it was a long time from when we would be going, but I love WDW and all the planning keeps me happy.

The dates were fairly easy to figure out for us. We had to go before the beginning of school since my BFF is a teacher, but we wanted to go as late in the summer as possible. Thus, we decided on July 31-Aug 7, 2010.

I began looking at various resorts and presenting the pros and cons of all to my DH. He would not budge. He wanted to stay at the AKL on Club Level and that was final.

Up Next…Do I convince everyone to stay at AKL?

Well, this was easier than I could have anticipated. I started talking to my BFF about the various resorts and telling her that I only knew about AKL. My DH and I had stayed there on our two previous trips. We fell in love with the ambience and solitude of the resort. The concierge personnel and other resort personnel are unmatched in their service and attention to detail. Plus, AKL has King Size beds. Score! So, my BFF agreed that we would all stay there.

All I had to do now was to convince everyone that we should pay an extra $100/night to stay on the Club Level. I pulled up my pictures from our previous two trips and read up on the AKL Concierge Offerings from Deb’s All Ears Website.

Over the course of the next few days, I talked to my BFF about the views from our Club Level rooms. I told her how nice it was to sit out on the balcony and watch the animals. I shared our experience with the concierge offerings. And in the end, all it took to convince her was the Sunrise Safari which is only available to Concierge Level guests at AKL. My DH and I had done this on our two previous trips and it was an awesome experience. One that we definitely wanted to share with our DD.

So, it was set, we would be staying at AKL on the Club Level. :yay: Now, I just had to wait until 500 days prior to our trip to book a room-only reservation. Then, as soon as the vacation packages for 2010, this room-only reservation would be cancelled and a vacation package booked.

Up Next…Preliminary Schedule

Since I had nothing but time and the waiting was driving me crazy, I decided to start laying out a park hopping schedule. Using Intercot's Historical Park Times & EMH from 2008, I made a preliminary schedule. However, only having historic park times wasn’t enough for me. So, I went to Steve Soares' Live Entertainment page and started plugging in the parades and fireworks.

7/31/10, Sat
Flying in the morning
DTD & BBB in the afternoon
Chef Mickey’s, Touring Poly, Touring GF & Electrical Water Parade in the evening

8/1/10, Sun
AM – AK with Sunrise Safari & Jammin’ Jungle Parade
PM – EC with IllumiNations

8/2/10, Mon
AM – MK with A Dream Come True Parade
PM – EC

8/3/10, Tues
AM – EC
PM – ???

8/4/10, Weds
AM – DHS with Block Party Bash
PM – DHS with Fantasmic!

8/5/10, Thurs
AM – MK
PM – ???

8/6/10, Fri
AM – MK
PM – MK with Spectromagic & Wishes

8/7/10, Sat
AM – ???
PM – Flying

My main concern this trip was to make it memorable for the girls. How am I doing so far?

Up Next…ADRs and Character Breakfasts

This trip was all about the character meals. We would be having dinner at Chef Mickey’s and breakfast at Crystal Palace, Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akerhaus, Playhouse Play N Dine, and Cinderella’s Royal Table. I have never done so many character meals in one trip! Now, more waiting….this time until 90 days prior to the first day of our vacation.

So, on to the rest of the ADRs….We would be eating at the Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, Wolfgang Puck’s (only the adults), and Boma. We would also be going to the Brown Derby with the Fantasmic! Dining Package.

Now, all I had to do was wait until June 2009 to get my BFF and her DH to sign off on the above plans. Why did I have to wait until June 2009? Well, the tricky part of planning this trip was the distance factor. My BFF’s family lives south of Houston, TX and my family lives in Calgary, AB. We would all be vacationing together in AZ for a week in June 2009. This was the big chance to get everything in order for our WDW trip.

Up Next…What to plan next?

Your plans look great thus far. What a wonderful 4th birthday your daughter will have. :goodvibes

My DD turns 4 in a little over a month. It's crazy how fast time flies by. This will be her 2nd trip to WDW and she's been to DL twice as well. But this will be the best by far, because she finally "GET'S IT". She knows all the characters and is in LOVE with all the princesses. Not one day goes by where she doesn't wear one of her many princess dresses. I'm worried that she's still going to be terrified of the costumed characters however, she always has been.

It's great that you get to celebrate with you BFF... My BFF and I will be celebrating 20 years of friendship this year. Her baby boy turns one next month and my baby boy just turned 2 months. It's so much fun experiencing motherhood together and we're so happy that our little boys are so close in age so they can become close friends just like the two of us. I hope one day we can both go to WDW together with our families. That will be a dream come true. :wizard:

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary next year. We got married at the POLY and she was there with her now husband. I would love to renew my vows then and have everyone there. ((I can dream)) Right now it's out of the question because of financial and economy issues, but you never know. :confused3

I look forward to reading more of your plans.... I'd love to see pictures of your daughter too. Have fun planning and preparing.

Thank you very much! It is the best experiencing things with BFFs. However, stay tuned as this PTR has some twists and turns.

At the beginning of March 2009, I found myself at a standstill in the planning. Still too early to book our room-only reservation, too early to get the August 2009 park hours, and nothing left for me to pre-plan.

So, I moved on to re-reading my 2005 Passporter, 2005 Unofficial Guide, and 2004 Birnbaum’s. Then, I realized that I could pre-order the 2010 editions of The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2010, Birnbaum’s Walt Disney World 2010, and Birnbaum’s Walt Disney World for Kids 2010. Alas, it was still too early to pre-order my 2010 Passporter. I also ordered The Walt Disney World Trivia Book, Volume 2.

I looked online for Mousekeeping envelopes, but I didn’t find any that I thought were perfect for us. So, I went to work creating my own. Much to my surprise this wasn’t that difficult. This opened up a whole new world for me. I decided to design invitations and envelopes for each of our meals. So, I set about finding the perfect clip art and the perfect wording.

Up Next….Take a stroller or rent one?

Since I couldn’t plan anything else, I began contemplating the question that all parents with small children ask themselves: “Should we take a stroller or rent one?”

I looked at Disney's stroller rental website and Orlando Stroller Rentals. Disney charges $27/day for a double stroller to be rented on multiple days. WOW! I don’t remember them being that expensive when I was younger. Orlando Stroller Rentals charges $85 for a 4-7 night rental. This was better than Disney’s prices, but more than I wanted to spend. I mean, that’s $85 that I could use buying souvenirs!

So, I talked to my BFF and she agreed that it would be better for her to buy a Maclaren Stroller for her DD and I would bring my Maclaren Triumph for my DD.

This decision brought me to March 2, 2009. Still 515 days away from our vacation. Now, what to do...

Up Next…Big Surprise from DH

Since I couldn’t plan anything else, I began contemplating the question that all parents with small children ask themselves: “Should we take a stroller or rent one?”

I looked at Disney's stroller rental website and Orlando Stroller Rentals. Disney charges $27/day for a double stroller to be rented on multiple days. WOW! I don’t remember them being that expensive when I was younger. Orlando Stroller Rentals charges $85 for a 4-7 night rental. This was better than Disney’s prices, but more than I wanted to spend. I mean, that’s $85 that I could use buying souvenirs!

So, I talked to my BFF and she agreed that it would be better for her to buy a Maclaren Stroller for her DD and I would bring my Maclaren Triumph for my DD.

This decision brought me to March 2, 2009. Still 515 days away from our vacation. Now, what to do...

Up Next…Big Surprise from DH

Wow, I didn't realize it cost so much to rent strollers. We will be bringing our own for sure. Hopefully it won't be to much of a hassle, but it's a wonderful stroller and my baby is comfy in it. I have a feeling we'll be carrying him in his baby bjourn most the time however.

Does your DD use a stroller a LOT? I'm hoping I won't need one for mine.

My DD does not use a stroller at all. However, WDW is another ball game all together. I want to be prepared in case she does need one. :thumbsup2

On March 19, 2009, my DH surprised me by saying that we could stay 2-3 more nights so that we could check out a different resort. SCORE!!!! I mean, who doesn’t want more time at WDW?

So, I began looking at the Moderate Resorts – Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans – French Quarter, and Port Orleans – Riverside. The Cabins at Ft. Wilderness were out before I even started since I don’t camp and don’t enjoy cabins.

I contacted 3 different travel agents for an opinion on whether we should book a room-only reservation. AAA and the other travel agency said that we should definitely book a room-only reservation. However, one travel agent had different advice. She said that given the type of room we were hoping to book, it would be fine to wait until the 2010 vacation packages were released, which should be sometime in August 2009.

What to do? We really wanted to get a Club Level room at AKL and in the past, we had booked this type of room 8 months in advance with no problem.

We decided to wait it out until the vacation packages for 2010 were released.

No DDP – Out of pocket for each meal.

Basic DDP – Using the 2009 rates for this, I determined that it would cost us $636.79 and include 1 TS, 1 CS and 1 Snack per night.

Deluxe DDP – Using the 2009 rates for this, I determined that it would cost us $1154.79 and include 3 TS or CS, 2 Snacks per night and a refillable resort mug.

We decide to do the Deluxe DDP for all nights of our package.

Up Next…BFF & BFF’s DH throw a monkey wrench in my plans

I'm in...thoroughly enjoying everything so far!!!
We stayed at AKL in August in a two bedroom villa and loved the whole resort!! I loved that a young lady came and saw me everyday to bring me my pina colada by the pool!!!

Looking forward to your next post!

We love AKL especially the Club Level. It's great to sit out on the balcony and watch the animals. It's been far too long since we have been.

On our trip to Phoenix in June 2009, my BFF and her DH decided that they couldn’t afford to go to WDW the following year. The economy has been very bad and my BFF’s DH had his hours cut at work.

Will we still go?

Of course, that is such a silly question. I went to work right away changing our planned dates so that we can take advantage of Free Dining. Now, I had to cross my fingers and hope that WDW will announce the same promotion next year. Our new dates are September 19 – October 2, 2010. Our cast has changed to the following:

Me, Keli, 31, stay-at-home mom, auditor and trip planning aficionado
DH, 31, CBPO
DD, 3, 1st trip to Disney and it had to be WDW

Our schedule is now:
• Day 0 – September 18
• Day 1 – September 19
• Day 2 – September 20
• Day 3 – September 21
• Day 4 – September 22
• Day 5 – September 23
• Day 6 – September 24
• Day 7 – September 25
• Day 8 – September 26
• Day 9 – September 27
• Day 10 – September 28
• Day 11 – September 29
• Day 12 – September 30
• Day 13 – October 1
• Day 14 – October 2
• Conclusion

Since some of our cast had dropped out before planning really got underway, DH decided that 13 nights in the happiest place on earth was too many for him. He suggested that we take a 4 night Disney Cruise first and then spend the remaining nights at AKL CL.

So on August 11, 2009, our travel agent booked the 3 of us on a 4-night Bahamas cruise on Disney Cruise Line and 9 nights at AKL CL. I thought we were all set with no more changes until….

Up Next…More monkey wrenches in our plans

September 2009, my parents decide to join us for a few days as well.
DM (my mother), 62, teacher, very experienced (this will be her 37th trip)
DF (my father), 62, accountant, very experienced (this will be his 32nd trip)
Dsis (my sister), 23, HR associate, experienced

I needed to convince them to stay at AKL, but by this time, the Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa (SSR) had opened. DF wanted to stay there and thus, DM and Dsis had no voice in the matter. So, after much debate between DF and me, the decision was made for them to spend 4 nights at Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa in the Treehouse Villas.

DH, DD and I would be at AKL CL for 9 nights.

I set about making plans only to discover that the Treehouse Villas were not available for booking. Thus, leaving me to book a 2 bedroom Villa and hope to transfer our reservation to the Treehouse Villa once it was released for booking.

So on August 11, 2009, our travel agent booked the them of them in a 2 bedroom Villa at SSR. Things were all settled and we began making dining plans with the anticipation of free dining.

After a few months of patiently checking the WDW website, the Treehouse Villas were available for booking around November 2009. I immediately emailed our travel agent and called her to switch our reservations. I really wanted to get them in the Treehouse Villas since they were the same cost as a 2 bedroom, but have 3 bedrooms and are brand new. Does anything beat a brand new room?

Oh and DF decided to join us on the cruise.

Up Next…Final Dining Plans and parks?

How do these look? Any one been to any of these restaurants? Thoughts, suggestions are open and welcome…

9/19 – 9/23 morning we will be on the cruise. So, no dining decisions there except that we will be going to Palo’s one night for dinner.

9/23 (Thurs)
No park today, just settling in, time in Downtown Disney and on the Boardwalk
Lunch at SSR
Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club) – never been there

9/24 (Fri)
MK all day long
Breakfast at Crystal Palace (MK) – a must stop for all trips to WDW
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Mama Melrose (DHS) with Fantasmic! – just DH, DM, DF, and me because Dsis and DD will be at MNSSHP (crossing fingers that it is happening on this night)

9/25 (Sat)
EC all day long
Breakfast at Akershus Princess Storybook (EC) – never been there
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Teppan Edo (EC) – have not been there since it was reopened as Teppan Edo

9/26 (Sun)
AK all day long
Breakfast at Boma (AKL) – a must stop several times for all trips to WDW. We love it!
Lunch at Tusker House (AK) – never been there but with the VIP Seating for Finding Nemo, we thought we’d try it
Dinner at Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue (Ft.W) – never been there

9/27 (Mon)
Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s (Cont) – never been there
Good-bye to DM, DF, and Dsis
No park decisions yet – maybe MK
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Sanaa (AKL) – never been there

9/28 (Tues)
MK all day long, hoping for MNSSHP for DH and me to take DD
Breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table – been there, done that, but my DD hasn’t
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner – no decisions yet

9/29 (Weds)
EC all day long
Breakfast at Boma (AKL) – a must stop
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Victoria & Albert’s – never been there. This is for DH and me. DD will stay at Mouseketeer Club at Grand Floridian.

9/30 (Thurs)
AK all day long
Breakfast at Sunrise Safari – a must do for anyone on CL at AKL
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Jiko (AKL) – never been there

10/1 (Fri)
AK/EC day
Breakfast at Tusker House for Donald’s Safari – never been there
Lunch at somewhere fast
Dinner at Le Cellier (EC) – never been there

10/2 (Sat)
Travelling home
Breakfast at Boma (AKL)
Maybe some shopping at Downtown Disney

ADR requests have all been submitted to AKL Itinerary Planning, which is such a great service and the staff is so friendly. Crossing my fingers for all to go smoothly on March 27, which is our 180 day mark.

Up Next…Seriously, a change to my ADRs

OK, I know that change is sometimes a good thing, but when I finalize my plans, I don’t like change. Let’s be honest. I don’t like anyone messing with my trip to WDW or anywhere else. My joy is planning all the details.

Not two seconds after I had submitted the information to AKL Itinerary Planning, my DF decides that he would like to change not one, but two of my scheduled dinner. Ugh!!! What to do???? To make things more complicated, he won’t make up his mind as to what he would like to change them to.

After decades of waiting (actually a week), he has decided to switch Mama Melrose with Fantasmic! to Narcoossee’s and Teppan Edo to Chefs de France.

All I need to do is let AKL Itinerary Planning know. A quick email and we’re good.

Up Next…6 months to go

Sending emails. I saw this in another TR and thought it was inspired. So, I will be doing it, too.

What a great way to get in to the spirit. I’ll post my emails here as well so that everyone can play along. Here’s the planned timeline for my emails.

March – Magic Kingdom
2 times a week
Map, section from Birnbaum’s, watch movies that inspired attractions,
Email with park info attractions, shops, restaurants, entertainment, trivia questions, itinerary, ADRs

April – Epcot
2 times a week
Email with park info attractions, shops, restaurants, entertainment, trivia questions, itinerary, ADRs

May – Animal Kingdom
2 times a week

June – Disney’s Hollywood Studios
2 times a week

July – Downtown Disney
2 times a week

August – The Rest of the World such as Resort and Cruise Information
2 times a week
Map of the World
Email with shops, restaurants, entertainment, trivia questions, itinerary, ADRs

Good Morning. We are about 6.5 months from our Fairy Tale Walt Disney World Vacation. Most of the plans have been made and the dates are all set. So, I thought that we should sit back and have some fun! Well, the four of you and Kytalin should have some fun. I am on pins and needles waiting for the 180 day Advanced Dining Reservations window!!!

Throughout the next 6.5 months, I will be sending you bits and pieces of information about our upcoming trip. This month we will focus on Magic Kingdom. I know that you think you know everything about the Magic Kingdom, but you may be surprised.

At the following website, you will find a map of the Magic Kingdom for you to peruse at your leisure. http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/MK.htm

Over the course of the month, please watch some or all of the following movies. These movies inspired rides at the Magic Kingdom. We will be watching them at our house!
1. Ariel’s Grotto was inspired by The Little Mermaid
2. Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin and Woody’s Cowboy Camp were inspired by Toy Story
3. Cinderella’s Castle was inspired by Cinderella
4. Dumbo the Flying Elephant was inspired by Dumbo
5. Mad Tea Party was inspired by Alice in Wonderland
6. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin was inspired by Aladdin
7. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Pooh’s Playful Spot were inspired by The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
8. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor was inspired by Monsters, Inc.
9. Peter Pan’s Flight was inspired by Peter Pan
10. Pirates of the Caribbean inspired Pirates of the Caribbean
11. Snow White’s Scary Adventures was inspired by Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
12. Stitch’s Great Escape was inspired by Lilo and Stitch

Some Trivia before I close this email. Over the course of the next few months, I will periodically send you trivia questions. If you want to try your hand at answering some of them, send me your guesses. I will send out the answers in my Friday email.

1. There are two methods of traveling to Magic Kingdom’s main gate. What are they?
2. Magic Kingdom is home to two of the tallest mountains in Florida. What are they and where are they?
3. When Magic Kingdom closes for the night, something special happens to Cinderella’s Castle. What is it?
4. “Push” the trash can that is not for trash rolls around and interacts with guests. Where can you find him?
5. One major country is not represented in Magic Kingdom’s “It’s a Small World”. Which one is it?
6. What is the name of the body of water in front of the Magic Kingdom?
7. What is the name of the large bronze statue of Walt and Mickey in front of Cinderella Castle?
8. What color are the walkways as you enter the Magic Kingdom?
9. What is said to have prompted Walt Disney to design the underground corridors in the Magic Kingdom?
a. While in Disneyland, he saw a Frontierland Cast Member dressed as a Sheriff walking through Tomorrowland.
b. He did not want the utility buildings and offices to be seen by Guests.
c. He did not want Cast Members to eat with Guests.
d. He wanted a secure area to store the cash that was taken in during the day.
10. Which of these rides is unlike the others?
a. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
b. Astro Orbiter
c. Magic Carpets of Aladdin
d. Peter Pan’s Flight

Well, have a great day and let the countdown begin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter