Pros and Cons for renting DVC vs booking hotel room through Disney

Remember that you have a washer and dryer in your room. It's pretty easy to throw a load of towels in if you need clean ones. Plus, you can pack fewer clothes since you know you can do wash if you need to. I still pack enough clothes for every day (just seems wrong to wear the same outfit twice on a short vacation), but I don't worry about bringing any extras because I know I can do wash if I need to. That's really handy with kids too.

Only with a one bedroom or larger.

Which is one of the advantages with DVC or a DVC rental, its one of the few ways to stay ON SITE and have condo type accommodations. And that is the reason we own.

But a one bedroom won't be cheaper than a regular hotel room.

Hi y'all :)

PMFJI here, but thought I'd maybe add some useless knowledge. :confused3

If I was Princess Jes I'd probably be scared to death as well. That's a darned long way to come only to find out you 'might' end up standing there without a room.

That being said, we've been going regularly since right after WDW opened. With the parents earlier. Then for our Honeymoon in 77 at CO staring right out at the castle. I remember thinking, BOY $77 a night is sure expensive! :dance3:

Once we figured out though that we could rent, we never did anything else. :rolleyes1 That first time renting was in 2000 for 15 days and we went every year there for a while. What with buying annual passes it was like going back for free next time. ;)

Those first two years we went for two weeks (plus minus) per year, family of 4, WL, BW, BC, and a 3 day stint at what used to be DL / PO (before all the political correctness). :scared: Sit down meals 3 times a day (one walk up), plus snacks and we saved a TON! Priced outright we would have spent 45% more. Keep in mind that there wasn't a dining package, just us paying. Of course EVERY DAY one of those were character meals, another was a 4 star mom and dad meal, and a few were shows (IE: Hoop De Do Review etc.).

Back then though there was no David's site, so you went to a forum and got really active and got to know people. That, or you lurked a lot and sent PM's. Here for instance I've been running around forever, but under this user ID I just don't post much. (Actually being disabled now all this WDW talk is more excitement than I can stand!) :scratchin :rolleyes1 We just don't get to go like we used to.

Last time actually was for a 'quickie' and was at the S&D for a 2 night stay 3 years ago. Boy do we miss it, like REALLY MISS IT! :rolleyes: Now however that my daughter is married, and the 'boy' is 20 it's time that we F-I-N-A-L-L-Y get to go by ourselves. :idea:

But yeah.... getting back to Princess Jes....

If you really want to go, and know you're not going to cancel, by all means you REALLY want to rent! You'll get twice the vacation/honeymoon that you would otherwise. Plan your days, perhaps if you want to hop from one DVC property to another you can pay rack rates for the weekend and "splurge" on a fancy room for a couple of nights because the rack rate typically is the same 7 nights a week whereas the DVC points go WAY up on the weekend.

That is actually when the cash rate may save you money. :confused3 I've not checked rental rates since last year, but paying cash versus say 30 points @ rental rates you can see where it'll save money. Nothing like moving from resort to resort to keep it fresh. We find we get bored if we spend more than 4 nights in the same place so we always move. Just check out on a Friday after breakfast and hop to another place for the weekend, then in on Sunday night at a DVC property. (Then again... that's just us.) :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter