Pros and Cons for renting DVC vs booking hotel room through Disney

What are the chances of any discount or free dining for 30 march - 6 April next year? Being spring break (I'm from Australia, not sure how long or exactly when SB is??) I'd have thought it would be a peak time so less chance of a discount being offered?

It will vary. Check to see if Disney has a website specifically for booking from Australia, as they do for the UK. The UK site often has outstanding deals that are not available to US residents. The same may be true for Australia and other non-US based travelers.

For instance, sometimes UK guests can get 30% off a cash room AND free dining. They also can often book further in advance for specials and deals than US residents...I assume because international travel has to be planned and booked farther out than most domestic travel.

All of the DVC resorts 1BR villas have this type of bathroom setup. You can go to allears.net and look at photos of each of the DVC resorts villas. I swear the 1BR bathrooms at the BCV feel like they take up a third of the villa.

Except for AKV-Jambo House villas. They do not have a separate jetted tub and shower. They are converted hotel rooms. So the jetted tub has the shower in the tub instead of being separate.

I agree with Charles. Members (and guests and renters) are not supposed to take pool towels back to their room to use in the bathrooms. Pool towels are laundered differently because of all the body lotions, oils, sunscreens, etc people use at the pools. Purchase an additional towel pack if you want more towels. But if you get a one bedroom villa, you'll have a washer and dryer right in the villa. Toss your towels in the washer when you leave for the parks and in the dryer as soon as you get back. Voile! Clean towels!

Hi! I'm glad i found this thread.

I'm planning a possible 2014 trip (11/29-12/5) & looking for ways to cut the budget down. We were considering POFQ (or another mod, my husband says no Full size beds so values are out) and someone suggested I look at renting points. I've been looking at the advantages & disadvantages and would love to know if I've missed anything.

Advantages:
Deluxe at mod prices (We're thinking about a studio at VWL or AKL)
More living space?
Microwave & fridge

Disadvantages:
No housekeeping (not a big deal to us)
Lack of flexibility (we'd get travel insurance so we'd be covered in an emergency but that still makes me nervous)
Could be more expensive than a mod if FD or a RO discount comes out for the same time?
Payment due sooner

Thanks for any insight you can share!

Is there a price for just the towel service?or would we be better off just getting fresh towels from the pool area?

The towel pack is $6 and you get an extra 4 towels. When we stay, I usually get it because its worth it to have two towels for everyone...when I call and order them, I even tell them not to bother with the hand towels...

I'm planning a possible 2014 trip (11/29-12/5) & looking for ways to cut the budget down. We were considering POFQ (or another mod, my husband says no Full size beds so values are out) and someone suggested I look at renting points. I've been looking at the advantages & disadvantages and would love to know if I've missed anything.

Advantages:
More living space?
Microwave & fridge

Disadvantages:
Lack of flexibility (we'd get travel insurance so we'd be covered in an emergency but that still makes me nervous)
Could be more expensive than a mod if FD or a RO discount comes out for the same time?
Payment due sooner

Being that is one of the top weeks for dvc, I would make sure you start trying 11 months out and be prepared for the values to possibly be gone (more points would be needed).

How many of you are traveling? When I was going to gf with my dd5 I paid cash. They had free dining but it came out to the same as aaa 10%. I held out and got ap 35% off. See what pofq is at 30% and see if they offer it this year for your dates to gauge if they might do it next year. Then weigh where u would rather stay.

The other stuff u listed is accurate.

Advantages:
More living space?
Microwave & fridge

Disadvantages:
Payment due sooner

A studio anywhere but OKW will have a queen bed and a full sized pullout. For some people (particularly couples) that is an advantage. For other people, its a disadvantage not to have two real beds.

Also, its often said around here that its "deluxe for mod prices" - DVC is a different category - home away from home. They have some of the same advantages as deluxe resorts and are in some cases attached to deluxe resorts. But the rooms are appointed differently, have different upkeep schedules, and different policies.

Being that is one of the top weeks for dvc, I would make sure you start trying 11 months out and be prepared for the values to possibly be gone (more points would be needed).

How many of you are traveling? When I was going to gf with my dd5 I paid cash. They had free dining but it came out to the same as aaa 10%. I held out and got ap 35% off. See what pofq is at 30% and see if they offer it this year for your dates to gauge if they might do it next year. Then weigh where u would rather stay.

The other stuff u listed is accurate.

Thanks! This information is really helpful. I appreciate your reminder about the popularity of that week and needing to book 11 months out. The 11 months out time frame makes me nervous but i also don't want to miss out on the opportunity because I wait until too late to decide :)

There will be 2 adults and 2 kids (both 8 at the time of travel). That's a great suggestion that I watch this year to see what happens with RO & FD discounts to see if they offer them during that time this year.

The biggest con to me is trust. Much of the time you don't know the person you are renting from, and they could be robbing you blind. I need about 500 points for next years trip so my choices are limited. I found a seller who has the points, but has no references and few posts. How do I know if I can trust him?

I'm paying via paypal, but that doesn't protect me if I get shafted.

A studio anywhere but OKW will have a queen bed and a full sized pullout. For some people (particularly couples) that is an advantage. For other people, its a disadvantage not to have two real beds.

Also, its often said around here that its "deluxe for mod prices" - DVC is a different category - home away from home. They have some of the same advantages as deluxe resorts and are in some cases attached to deluxe resorts. But the rooms are appointed differently, have different upkeep schedules, and different policies.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. The information about the pull out size is really helpful. Our sons will be 8 at the time of travel and they already have issues sharing a bed on vacation. I was hoping the pullout was queen sized.

We always rent a house on our beach vacations & we previously owned a condo we used during college football/basketball seasons so the idea of a "home away from home" appeals to us. We're fine without daily housekeeping but I'm curious about what policies may be different. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me about that area. We've only taken one Disney trip before so we are definitely not Disney experts.

The biggest con to me is trust. Much of the time you don't know the person you are renting from, and they could be robbing you blind. I need about 500 points for next years trip so my choices are limited. I found a seller who has the points, but has no references and few posts. How do I know if I can trust him?

I'm definitely on board with the trust issue with renting. IF we decided to rent points I plan using an agency. I'm sure it will cost more but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. The information about the pull out size is really helpful. Our sons will be 8 at the time of travel and they already have issues sharing a bed on vacation. I was hoping the pullout was queen sized.

We always rent a house on our beach vacations & we previously owned a condo we used during college football/basketball seasons so the idea of a "home away from home" appeals to us. We're fine without daily housekeeping but I'm curious about what policies may be different. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me about that area. We've only taken one Disney trip before so we are definitely not Disney experts.

There are a bunch of little ones.

There are no rollaways available at DVC resorts.

There is no late check out at DVC resorts.

Check in time is AFTER 4 (we've almost always had a room available at arrival - as early as 11 - but other members have waited until six or seven before their room is ready).

There is a room change fee - if you aren't happy with your room, and they CAN move you (often they can't), you'll pay a fee to change rooms.

DVC rarely upgrades - usually its because there has been a maintenance issue.

There are some more, but I can't remember them off the time of my head. They don't tend to be big once you are there. The big ones are pre-visit - you can't cancel less than 31 days out without penalties - as a renter, don't plan on canceling at all and getting your money back - points are time bombed commodities.

There are a bunch of little ones.

There are no rollaways available at DVC resorts.

There is no late check out at DVC resorts.

Check in time is AFTER 4 (we've almost always had a room available at arrival - as early as 11 - but other members have waited until six or seven before their room is ready).

There is a room change fee - if you aren't happy with your room, and they CAN move you (often they can't), you'll pay a fee to change rooms.

DVC rarely upgrades - usually its because there has been a maintenance issue.

There are some more, but I can't remember them off the time of my head. They don't tend to be big once you are there. The big ones are pre-visit - you can't cancel less than 31 days out without penalties - as a renter, don't plan on canceling at all and getting your money back - points are time bombed commodities.

Once again, I REALLY appreciate this information. This is the type of stuff I hadn't learned yet. Most of the things you listed wouldn't be an issue with my family but I'd like to know this stuff when making a decision and/or presenting the choices to my husband. I tried doing an online search to see if I could find a list of the DVC policies but didn't easily find anything. Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can read up on them? Thanks!

What about using the timeshare store or Davids rentals? Both rent points and are reliable.

Once again, I REALLY appreciate this information. This is the type of stuff I hadn't learned yet. Most of the things you listed wouldn't be an issue with my family but I'd like to know this stuff when making a decision and/or presenting the choices to my husband. I tried doing an online search to see if I could find a list of the DVC policies but didn't easily find anything. Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can read up on them? Thanks!

You might check the Rent/Trade Board. At the top there are several sticky threads with information about "renting points".

What about using the timeshare store or Davids rentals? Both rent points and are reliable.

Davids is brokering someone else's points. That someone else still has control over the points. The thing with David is that the owner doesn't get paid until your trip is done - but you could still arrive and discover your reservation cancelled for non-payment of dues, or because the owner decided to sell, or some other reason. It isn't likely, and you'd get your money back if it were to happen, but you'd be standing at the resort without a room.

I suspect that David and the Timeshare Store would do all they could to make good - trying to find you another room with some other points - but if the resorts are booked - and DVC often is - you may be out of luck.

Davids is brokering someone else's points. That someone else still has control over the points. The thing with David is that the owner doesn't get paid until your trip is done - but you could still arrive and discover your reservation cancelled for non-payment of dues, or because the owner decided to sell, or some other reason. It isn't likely, and you'd get your money back if it were to happen, but you'd be standing at the resort without a room.

I suspect that David and the Timeshare Store would do all they could to make good - trying to find you another room with some other points - but if the resorts are booked - and DVC often is - you may be out of luck.

Wow, that's a scary thought! Does this actually happen or is it just a very very short possibility?

Well yes but it is safer than using someone you don't personally know and who has little or no references.
The safest is to own your own points and use those but that's not an option for everyone. I was suggesting a slightly less risky approach to renting.

Well yes but it is safer than using someone you don't personally know and who has little or no references.
The safest is to own your own points and use those but that's not an option for everyone. I was suggesting a slightly less risky approach to renting.

Yes, buying your own points would definitely be better, however, I'm from Australia, so this is quite possibly the only (or maybe in the very distant future) trip so buying my own is definitely not an option.

I wouldn't mind paying OOP for the room through Disney, but I love the look of BC and not sure I can justify so much on only a portion of my honeymoon?

Remember that you have a washer and dryer in your room. It's pretty easy to throw a load of towels in if you need clean ones. Plus, you can pack fewer clothes since you know you can do wash if you need to. I still pack enough clothes for every day (just seems wrong to wear the same outfit twice on a short vacation), but I don't worry about bringing any extras because I know I can do wash if I need to. That's really handy with kids too.

I did not see these, if you get a room direct fron Disney:

- you will get notice about pool and dining closures, construction at your resort directly from Disney,
- ability to use credit card for reservation and payment (and all of the insurance, rebates, safety, delayed payment, travel assistance included with that type of transaction),
- paying guests usually have priority over time share guests due to the different rules and laws covering the transaction when there are problems. If a toilet overflows a paying guest more likley be moved to a new room and will also be more likely to be compensated for inconvenience.
- if there is a problem with your reservation, the front desk will resolve it directly with you.

Already mentioned

- daily maid service,
- good cancellation policy,
- promotional offers - free dining, room discounts
- possibility of room upgrades.

The advantage of renting points is price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter