Provide your positive feedback on the Edge

LKeith2016

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, trying to go positive about this new kids club policy change. So, if you have kids who have enjoyed their time in the Edge let’s hear from you! What type of programming did they participate in etc? Were there any activities that involved characters? What made it more “Disney” than other cruise lines?

Thanks for your help in softening the blow!!

following. We are sailing in January. I have 13, 11, 8, and 4. The 11 could have gone either way, but obviously won't have a choice. I think he'll be ok, but would like some help. It will be my 13 yo first time as well.

My daughter turned 14 on our last cruise and didn't go to the Edge often but she really enjoyed the evening where the 'Edge Invaded the Oceaneer's Club and Lab!' It was a blast from the past for her and fun to be there again!

My kids were in there last year at 10.5 and 12. My 12 year old played some crazy number of 4 square games and got a magical moment certificate. He also won a bunch of swag throughout the cruise for various activities- I think heroes vs villan related. He loved the ship wide scavenger hunt.

My daughter is more of a crafter but she also enjoyed heroes and villains and going to the fireworks. I think This time at 12 she’ll enjoy it even more.

Both stayed in there 10a-midnight our last sea day- only coming out for dinner.

Make sure they attend the first night when friend groups start to form.

Make sure they attend the first night when friend groups start to form.

I don't have kids, but this is exactly what I've picked up from here. The kids that go the first night when cliques form and some activities are planned seem to have the better experiences and those who don't go that night seem to have the experiences where they don't like it and never want to go "because people are already in groups" when they didn't go that first night.

My daughter had an incredible time in Edge on our first cruise. Some of it was really hitting it off with the counselors, some of it was finding a group of friends to hang out with.

We’ve done 6 cruises now with 3 kids having been in the Edge it really varies by kid and the connections they make each cruise. My son seemed to enjoy it more on our last cruise than some prior because of the connections he made.

The heroes vs villains and scavenger hunts are definitely common favorites. Spider man came and challenged my daughter to Mario Kart once and she won and kept talking about it. My son has loved video game tournaments (so not just playing but with some structure to it).

There is plenty of positive with Edge. It just seems to go better when kids that age make a connection with other kids and have a group they are going to be with.

Will the counselors know where my child is if I decide to pick him up?
It really is free roaming. One of their activities is a scavenger hunt where the kids break off into groups on their own and run all over the ship- some might even choose to do the activity solo.

If they have a designated location that they’re meeting at like sometimes they go to the basketball courts, you can see that on the app, but I cannot stress enough how much of the program in edge is free roaming

It really is free roaming. One of their activities is a scavenger hunt where the kids break off into groups on their own and run all over the ship- some might even choose to do the activity solo.

If they have a designated location that they’re meeting at like sometimes they go to the basketball courts, you can see that on the app, but I cannot stress enough how much of the program in edge is free roaming

Hmm that's concerning. So there is a chance I will need to roam the ship to find my child?

My biggest piece of advice to those a little hesitant about edge is to make sure your child has a phone with both the DCL App loaded on it and WhatsApp, to be able to send messages without needing to buy a Wi-Fi package.

We have found that occasionally the DCL app has some series lag time with Messages getting delivered, so having WhatsApp has been more successful for us

Hmm that's concerning. So there is a chance I will need to roam the ship to find my child?
Yes, and keep in mind that they could be off and doing a scavenger hunt and then the group of kids decides that they’re bored of it and goes and gets ice cream and they never have to pop back by and tell the counselors . Maybe they decide as friend group (or even solo) they’d rather go play mini golf, or hero zone depending on the ship- they do not have to tell the counselors where they’re going or that they will even finish an activity.

My best advice is make sure they have a phone

Yes, and keep in mind that they could be off and doing a scavenger hunt and then the group of kids decides that they’re bored of it and goes and gets ice cream and they never have to pop back by and tell the counselors . Maybe they decide as friend group (or even solo) they’d rather go play mini golf, or hero zone depending on the ship- they do not have to tell the counselors where they’re going or that they will even finish an activity.

My best advice is make sure they have a phone
My son will have just turned 11 and will not be having a phone, but thanks for the info as we now have a decision to make

My son will have just turned 11 and will not be having a phone
DS is 11 and turning 12 while we are on board. He will not have a phone (we are hoping to hold out until 13.) We are on the 1/26 Dream cruise, I can let you know how it goes.

We live on a quiet suburban street. Our neighborhood has several families with kids around the same age. We've had the kids wear a watch and given them a time to check in/be home since they were in first grade. The rule is they can't go into anyone's house if an adult is not home. The parents will text each other when it's time to send someone home for dinner.

Our plan, even before the change, was to have set check in times with DS11 and give DS9 check in/check out privileges. Neither was a huge fan of the kids club in 2022. I fully expect to find them in the stateroom watching movies with room service.

DS is 11 and turning 12 while we are on board. He will not have a phone (we are hoping to hold out until 13.) We are on the 1/26 Dream cruise, I can let you know how it goes.

We live on a quiet suburban street. Our neighborhood has several families with kids around the same age. We've had the kids wear a watch and given them a time to check in/be home since they were in first grade. The rule is they can't go into anyone's house if an adult is not home. The parents will text each other when it's time to send someone home for dinner.

Our plan, even before the change, was to have set check in times with DS11 and give DS9 check in/check out privileges. Neither was a huge fan of the kids club in 2022. I fully expect to find them in the stateroom watching movies with room service.
Your plan works great. Even at 35 years old when my dad and I cruise we plan check ins, we do things together and separately and while dad has a phone he doesn’t check it 🤣

We are one the families that held out until 13 for a phone, but starting at 11 I would take an old phone, wipe it clean and install the DCL app. So, the phone has no games, no internet, just the DCL app. It was fantastic. They have really cute Disney emojis on it and my son would use them to text me hilarious messages. It gave him a sense of freedom and security and I appreciated being able to hear from him while he was hanging solo. He also would explore the activities and dinner menus in the phone and tell me about them. When we left the ship, the phone came back to me and we went back to normal. Not trying to convince you to give your child a phone, just trying to provide a perspective from one hold out parent to another.

My only child (boy) really enjoys The Edge. At 11 he was all about gaga ball, at 12 it was the hero’s and villains activity, and now at 13 he is already talking about raiding the Vibe on our May cruise (he’s been too nervous to do it in the past). I like to remind him that Tinkerbell was his favorite activity in the younger kid club 🙂

I’ve heard that iMessage works onboard as well without the need for an internet pkg purchase. An old iPhone without a SIM card should still work connected to the ship’s Wi-Fi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter