*** PSA ANNOUNCEMENT for Ford 6.7 diesel owners***

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
OK, now that I have half of your attention. :)

In case you are curious, our trucks will not regen and clean the DPF (exhaust filter) if the computer thinks there isn't any fuel. While that seems pretty intuitive given how the truck cleans the filter (shoots extra fuel into the exhaust to super heat the exhaust- think self cleaning oven). While making complete sense, it didn't dawn on me when the fuel sending unit in the tank failed a few weeks ago. I was going to drop the tank and change it when the tank was closer to empty. No big deal. I had a "gallons used" on the dash that was pretty accurate.

I was camping at Land Between the Lakes in western Kentucky this weekend. About 200 miles from home. On Friday, the truck put a message on the dash to "Drive to clean exhaust filter". I was driving, so no big deal. On Saturday, the dash threw a wrench icon on the screen. The manual says this combination meant the DPF was getting really full and the next step was to put the truck into limp mode. 30 mph with greatly reduced power. Not a great option 200 miles from home with a 14,000 lb trailer on. And no idea when it would do it. (Turns out I had about 20 miles when I got it to the dealer)

I knew the dealer could force a manual regen (clean the filter) with their scan tool. So I waited around on Monday morning to run into a dealer in Paducah. They plugged in, hit manual regen and.... nothing. The tech had to go to OASIS to look up the problem. It seems the computer will allow a forced regen if it sees at least 1% fuel in the tank. Because of the dead sending unit, mine was showing 0%. Computer thinks there is literally no fuel, so no regen. $1015 later, I have a new sending unit in the fuel tank, a forced regen and a truck I can drive to bring the trailer home. The sender was a $135 part, so my ignorance and procrastination cost me $880.

Live and learn.

j

I don't miss my EGR or DPF one bit. Lots of money wasted on upkeep.

Glad you were able to get it resolved.

I still have FORD warranty on the truck for another year. After that I will consider what can be done. To date I only had a DEF level sensor go bad and it was covered.

James,

I had the DEF injector go out on mine 3 years ago. I was under the 100,000 miles for emissions warranty, but 3 months beyond the 6 years. That was about $500. I thought about dumping the DPF then, but I was worried about resale when I wanted to sell it. Missouri still has emissions testing.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter