PSA: Colonoscopies!

I have had three of them so far. I am 66. I think people make a big deal out of it because of what it is. For me, it isn't that bad to go through. The worst part is fasting the day before and this last time that "empty" feeling only lasted until noon and I was okay after that.

Last edited:
I had my first one in October and am now every 5 years due to finding polyps. The only part I didn’t like was that I got no sleep the night before because I was in and out of the bathroom all night. Then up at 3am to start the second half of the prep.

My guess is that if you get a positive result from the cologaurd, then the colonoscopy would no longer be considered preventative and subject to your copay/deductible. Seems smarter to just do the colonoscopy to start with.

Had my 1st one last year after I turned 50. I didn't know that they had lowered the age requirements. I'm glad. My husband is next in 2 wks.

I procrastinated for years on getting my first one - and this was when recco for first one was 50, not 45. Was so nervous because I had put it off and so relieved when I received a negative result. Not putting it off again. Fasting was no big deal, but the prep was horrible for me though. Made me feel so nauseous, I was in tears trying to get it all down. Really hoping medical science eventually comes up with better prep methods before my next one. lol

Ironically, my labcorp at home screen *FIT* came back positive yesterday. I see the gastro in person soon and will have the colonoscopy. I figured since I'm 47 I would do it at home first. Glad I did.

I do the Cologuard every three years. I have been unable to the colonoscopy because I can't keep the prep down and since I'm low risk they don't want to have me take the pills. Cologuard is really easy to do so if anyone is like me this is a better alternative than not doing anything at all.

I didn't have my first one until age 55 because my Primary Care Doctor at the time felt the Cologuard tests were sufficient. 10+ years ago, having to drink a gallon of prep solution was not fun, and it worked quickly and rather abruptly. Last year was a piece of cake, drank a 16 ounce bottle of prep the day before, and the second bottle a few hours before the procedure. Much gentler.
Never heard of having to drink Gatoraide, as I recall they only wanted you to drink clear fluid......water.....because the dye in other drinks can throw the test off.

I procrastinated for years on getting my first one - and this was when recco for first one was 50, not 45. Was so nervous because I had put it off and so relieved when I received a negative result. Not putting it off again. Fasting was no big deal, but the prep was horrible for me though. Made me feel so nauseous, I was in tears trying to get it all down. Really hoping medical science eventually comes up with better prep methods before my next one. lol
When I had mine done, I was expecting to drink that awful drink. However, my medical system/docs directions included, Gatorade with miralax and dulcolax. Oh and I had McD, 2 days before and it really cleared me out. Halfway thru the Miralax, dulcolax treatment I was empty, and I still had 12 hrs to go yet. LOL

I have crohn's and have multiple per year. They have new prep that is much less yucky stuff to get down (2 eight ounce bottles) each followed by clear liquid. I've been getting them since my 30s. If I can do it that often anyone can!

I didn't have my first one until age 55 because my Primary Care Doctor at the time felt the Cologuard tests were sufficient. 10+ years ago, having to drink a gallon of prep solution was not fun, and it worked quickly and rather abruptly. Last year was a piece of cake, drank a 16 ounce bottle of prep the day before, and the second bottle a few hours before the procedure. Much gentler.
Never heard of having to drink Gatoraide, as I recall they only wanted you to drink clear fluid......water.....because the dye in other drinks can throw the test off.
I did the Gatorade-Miralax-Dulcolax prep. I think the gatorade couldn't be red/purple. I did clear propel and it worked out fine. Next time, I will just get a variety flavors of clear gatorade, propel. I had one flavor and I was sick of the flavor.

I do the Cologuard every year because I have issues with anesthesia so a Colonscopy is out for me. They have to give the smallest dose they possibly can, I actually woke up in the middle of my hysterectomy (back then it was a big slice across you belly).
Many countries do sedation-free colonoscopies, where the patient is wide awake. We are the ones - Canada & the US - that are not the norm.

It might be worth it inquire about options.

(I am so sorry you woke up during your operation, awful)

Last edited:
Please get your testing. Research the other options, they can miss polyps growing.

Please think of your children & your spouse. My brother is gone because he delayed. Pointe Finale. No other reason. Missing him makes me sad of course. His family not having him for graduations, celebrations, weddings, future grandchildren - and every single day of course - at times makes me bat **** crazy that he did not get to it. And it is ugly to watch that type of unfortunate suffering & death - it is very hard to get snippets out of your head. And replace with prior memories in your mind.
Do not be selfish with your family, the procedure is no big deal. Everyone has probably experienced something way more uncomfortable in life.

Last edited:
Due to past results I am on a 3 year call back (next in two months). My wife however has to have a colonoscopy every year and a endoscopy every other year due to her family history.

I did the Gatorade-Miralax-Dulcolax prep. I think the gatorade couldn't be red/purple. I did clear propel and it worked out fine. Next time, I will just get a variety flavors of clear gatorade, propel. I had one flavor and I was sick of the flavor.
I have done that one a couple of times now.
The liquid just has to be light or clear. I do the Propel

Welp, glad I went! Had one polyp that was removed then and there, and just waiting now to see what kind it was and how often I have to endure this torment in future. LOL.

My prep was 4 dulcolax at noon, 32 oz of Gatorade with half a bottle of Miralax between 6 and 7, and then repeat the Gatorade this morning. And clear liquids all the day before of course.

I've been reading that the clear liquid diet may not really be necessary, and that you might be able to do a low residue diet instead. That would make it a lot less onerous, if you didn't have to starve yourself.

As I sit here trying to ingest my second 32 ounces of colonoscopy prep (yum yum) I thought I'd remind everyone to go get your screening colonoscopy. The recommended age has been lowered to 45, and it should be covered 100% under most insurance. Apparently they're finding incidences of colon cancer in younger folks to be on the rise. The prep isn't fun, but it's only once a decade, if all goes well.

At least I had to be up early anyway to book dining reservations. :D
This is a very timely reminder! I had been doing cologuard for years I’m 59 and this past November I had a positive test to which I then went on to a colonoscopy 3 days before Christmas 3 polyps were found precancerous and I had one large mass in my rectum that came back negative for cancer but could not be removed during the colonoscopy. Just had that removed two weeks ago again still reading negative for cancer ! Both my gastroenterologist and the surgeon said this would be a different outcome had I put off my screenings !! Please everyone do your screenings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter