PTR - Calif.... No, no, make that, FLORIDA here we come!

It sounds like you have a fabulous trip to look forward to! I think its almost safe to say we need a 2015/2016 thread opening with quite a few of us planning already for then! We are doing DL around Nov next year. Since you have experienced it during Halloween time, I hope you don't mind to answer a few questions: I was hesitant to go during Halloween as I like DL to look like its classic everyday self, if that makes sense - no special decorations etc. Do they actually decorate the castle for Halloween or is it 'normal'! :) We were at Aulani last year for Halloween on the actual date, the kids had fun with all the American hype of it, the trick or treating and the Halloween Party. It was extremely crowded that one day but the crowds seemed to vanish the day after. Is Disneyland extra busy the whole month or just the day of Halloween? My daughter always gets to experience her birthday away also, very spoiled I know! Nothing like a phone call from Mickey on your birthday! :) We are also having our 10th Wedding anniversary next year too! (This is my excuse of why we need to stay at the Grand Cal) :lmao:

I think we will do WDW after this trip also - it was Cars Land that is dragging us back to DL again, and not to mention the DL 60th anniversary celebrations.

No, the castle wasn't decorated. Lots of pumpkins around DL itself though, and some of the rides got the Halloween makeover (Haunted Mansion is fantastic!). We usually leave the first week of October, so haven't been there as late as actual Halloween. But the time we have been there is very quiet, with no worries about getting onto rides. I think the longest waits were around 45mins, but that is rare. And we used the FP system a lot! So convenient. If you go at the beginning of November and stay for a couple of weeks, I think you get to experience both Halloween and Christmas at Disney - perfect time to go! Though if you are wanting 'classic' Disney, maybe not so much!

When is your anniversary? Staying at the Grand Californian will be a lovely way to celebrate and treat yourselves!

Thanks DVCAustralia! You have thrown a cat amongst the pigeons, and now I am agreeing with you thinking that we should get park hoppers! I like your daily touring guide, and will run it past DH (though he isn't too interested in hearing about this trip until it's less than 12 months away!)

Just keep in mind the longer park hours. As an adult I can't back up evening extra magic hours with morning extra magic hours. Over Christmas there may only be 5 or 6 hours between one finishing and the other starting. With the exception on MK which will probably have emh each morning during the Christmas week the emh parks will also probably be the busiest on any given day. With longer park hours all around I'd prefer to sleep in the extra hour and head to a 'less' crowded park. Everyone has different preferences of course but with a long stay I would just be sure to make sure you're getting plenty of rest, you don't want to burn yourselves out in the first few days.

Just keep in mind the longer park hours. As an adult I can't back up evening extra magic hours with morning extra magic hours. Over Christmas there may only be 5 or 6 hours between one finishing and the other starting. With the exception on MK which will probably have emh each morning during the Christmas week the emh parks will also probably be the busiest on any given day. With longer park hours all around I'd prefer to sleep in the extra hour and head to a 'less' crowded park. Everyone has different preferences of course but with a long stay I would just be sure to make sure you're getting plenty of rest, you don't want to burn yourselves out in the first few days.
That's true - I don't want to tire DS (and DH!) out, because there is nothing worse than having grumpy-bums in tow! I will need to look into EMH and general park hours. I think usually the later hours will suit us more, as we're not really morning people (but have only experienced the extra morning hours at DL - and been back in the hotel for the evening on most nights). So I can't imagine we'd take advantage of both in one day, except maybe Christmas Day. I guess it's doable if you know you'll have an afternoon rest, but I don't think DS would, and that could be a problem.

I really have nothing useful to add, not having been to WDW or the east coast at all. Excited to see you've started a PTR though, and will be following along to see how you go with everything :thumbsup2 FWIW, I first started my PTR more than 2 years in advance of my trip, and currently have another one going for 'late next year' :rotfl:

Originally posted by ssour

Sorry, I should have clarified there are only a few days they actually go back to back, and for them you chose the one you prefer.
It is though typical that early entry is much better than late entry simply because so many people find the early start too hard and late entry is effected by people staying.
I much prefer to take an extra hour at the start of the day and get lots done and then rest an extra hour during the day or at night when you will not get much done anyway.

Sorry, I should have clarified there are only a few days they actually go back to back, and for them you chose the one you prefer. It is though typical that early entry is much better than late entry simply because so many people find the early start too hard and late entry is effected by people staying. I much prefer to take an extra hour at the start of the day and get lots done and then rest an extra hour during the day or at night when you will not get much done anyway.

I agree that mornings are definitely better, especially over Christmas week for the Magic Kingdom that often reaches capacity around the middle of the day. I actually avoid the EMH all together if I can. An 8am/9am start (depending on regular opening time due to travel season) through to just after lunch with a break and then back out for dinner and evening entertainment if it's on the list. I don't stay out late often in December/January as it can get quite cool in the evenings. If I don't want to do anything in the parks during the evening I'll stay in the park until late afternoon since it's not normally too hot and then have an early dinner before hitting the hay. I think I get more rest in WDW than I do at home!

No, the castle wasn't decorated. Lots of pumpkins around DL itself though, and some of the rides got the Halloween makeover (Haunted Mansion is fantastic!). We usually leave the first week of October, so haven't been there as late as actual Halloween. But the time we have been there is very quiet, with no worries about getting onto rides. I think the longest waits were around 45mins, but that is rare. And we used the FP system a lot! So convenient. If you go at the beginning of November and stay for a couple of weeks, I think you get to experience both Halloween and Christmas at Disney - perfect time to go! Though if you are wanting 'classic' Disney, maybe not so much!

When is your anniversary? Staying at the Grand Californian will be a lovely way to celebrate and treat yourselves!

It does seem like the ideal time to go - only I heard over at the DL thread that some rides go down at the beginning of Nov- mid November to take down the Halloween gear and put up the Xmas decorations, including Small World, which really is one of the most annoying rides ever but its part of a Disneyland trip that I don't want to miss! Maybe early October is worth a thought. The Halloween Parties sound like a fun experience, though I wonder if its hard to get a ticket not being a US resident.

It does seem like the ideal time to go - only I heard over at the DL thread that some rides go down at the beginning of Nov- mid November to take down the Halloween gear and put up the Xmas decorations, including Small World, which really is one of the most annoying rides ever but its part of a Disneyland trip that I don't want to miss! Maybe early October is worth a thought. The Halloween Parties sound like a fun experience, though I wonder if its hard to get a ticket not being a US resident.

We did DLR in Oct, flying out on 1 Nov. 2 rides down, IASW and Indy, which was a shame. I didn't have any problems booking tickets to the Halloween party on 31 Oct, you just do it all online.

The amazing part for me was how quickly they took all the Halloween stuff down. We were there in the park until about 11:30... then in there again at 9am, and every. single. decoration. was gone. They had SOME of the christmas stuff up, but I hear they don't have it all up for a few days.

I really have nothing useful to add, not having been to WDW or the east coast at all. Excited to see you've started a PTR though, and will be following along to see how you go with everything :thumbsup2 FWIW, I first started my PTR more than 2 years in advance of my trip, and currently have another one going for 'late next year' :rotfl:

Haha, 2 years in advance?! Love it!

I agree that mornings are definitely better, especially over Christmas week for the Magic Kingdom that often reaches capacity around the middle of the day. I actually avoid the EMH all together if I can. An 8am/9am start (depending on regular opening time due to travel season) through to just after lunch with a break and then back out for dinner and evening entertainment if it's on the list. I don't stay out late often in December/January as it can get quite cool in the evenings. If I don't want to do anything in the parks during the evening I'll stay in the park until late afternoon since it's not normally too hot and then have an early dinner before hitting the hay. I think I get more rest in WDW than I do at home!

I had tentatively scheduled in all 3 days at MK only using early morning entry. I hadn't considered using the extra late hours at all, though it might come in handy (but maybe we just won't plan for it, and if we happen to stay for it, then so be it). But yeah, the nights might be a big chilly too, so we'll have to be prepared for that (I don't want to be lugging stuff around in the parks all day though). Do all the parks offer EMH? My other idea was to avoid EMH completely - though it seems difficult to do as MK has EMH almost every day!

The Halloween party was so much fun! We ended up with heaps of candy, just ridiculous amounts (and I have a fondness for Reece's peanut butter cups, so loaded up on those!). It wasn't difficult at all to get tickets - I ordered them as soon as they were released, and didn't need to be a US resident.

Thanks for the reply M&Mmum! With the crystal palace reservation, does it make a difference if there is early morning entry at MK for that day? Ie., so the booking should be for 7am rather than 8am? Also, with ADR's, do I book them online or do I call? I'll have to read up about illuminations. I have seen it mentioned but have no idea what it is! Are there any dinner packages for that (and are they worthwhile)? So much reading & planning to do! But I agree, a lot of the enjoyment of a holiday is in the planning stages for me :thumbsup2

Hmmm an Oilers fan, not sure I should answer you, haha. Actually I was born in Edmonton and lived in that area for longer than I did Calgary and really not a hockey fan at all. We've just relocated to Perth for a couple of years so now I am getting up to speed with AFL and such.

We've always done Crystal Palace on a non EM and I am not sure they even offer a seating prior to EM hours. If the park opens at 8 then book for 7 so you have time to eat, get autographs from Pooh and company and because you are first at the restaurant it shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes and you still have time to take some pics and be right at the castle for rope drop. One year we did this my son ran into the shop right in the castle and asked if he could wake up Tink. He was allowed to and got a certificate saying he had done so.

I would book my dining on line as I like doing pretty much everything that way so I can see that it is done right! Usually I have a rough plan on which park we are going to each day based on EM hours and such and then I make a list of all the places we would like to eat at. Check menus beforehand to make sure any picky eaters (that would be me in our family) are covered. I find I usually have to play with the restaurants but get most of them just not in the order I wanted. Good thing about eating at some hotels is you aren't park dependent for your daytime hours and they can be switched around easier to accommodate ones you must have in a park.

Illuminations takes place over the lake in World Showcase at Epcot. Because it is such a large area you don't need to queue up 3 hours before or make a dining reservation in order to get a view. Think WOC spread over the whole park! People will have their fav spots to watch but we never had a problem getting a view and as we usually ended most nights there, saw bits and pieces of it many times. I do suggest you stop and watch the whole thing at least once!

Another good idea for Christmas dinner may be Liberty Tavern as they do a turkey dinner with all the fixings just like all of us cold winter folks would have. I know they book us really quick for this so if that is on your list I would make sure you try it first.

I noticed everyone is saying go in the morning and I have to agree. Your internal clocks will be all messed up anyway so might as well train them to get their early and have a nap later in the day. It is amazing how much you can get done in the first 2 hours of the park opening as opposed to say 1-3 pm. My teenagers tell me the only time they like getting up that early is for Disney!

Have fun planning.

Hmmm an Oilers fan, not sure I should answer you, haha. Actually I was born in Edmonton and lived in that area for longer than I did Calgary and really not a hockey fan at all. We've just relocated to Perth for a couple of years so now I am getting up to speed with AFL and such.

We've always done Crystal Palace on a non EM and I am not sure they even offer a seating prior to EM hours. If the park opens at 8 then book for 7 so you have time to eat, get autographs from Pooh and company and because you are first at the restaurant it shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes and you still have time to take some pics and be right at the castle for rope drop. One year we did this my son ran into the shop right in the castle and asked if he could wake up Tink. He was allowed to and got a certificate saying he had done so.

I would book my dining on line as I like doing pretty much everything that way so I can see that it is done right! Usually I have a rough plan on which park we are going to each day based on EM hours and such and then I make a list of all the places we would like to eat at. Check menus beforehand to make sure any picky eaters (that would be me in our family) are covered. I find I usually have to play with the restaurants but get most of them just not in the order I wanted. Good thing about eating at some hotels is you aren't park dependent for your daytime hours and they can be switched around easier to accommodate ones you must have in a park.

Illuminations takes place over the lake in World Showcase at Epcot. Because it is such a large area you don't need to queue up 3 hours before or make a dining reservation in order to get a view. Think WOC spread over the whole park! People will have their fav spots to watch but we never had a problem getting a view and as we usually ended most nights there, saw bits and pieces of it many times. I do suggest you stop and watch the whole thing at least once!

Another good idea for Christmas dinner may be Liberty Tavern as they do a turkey dinner with all the fixings just like all of us cold winter folks would have. I know they book us really quick for this so if that is on your list I would make sure you try it first.

I noticed everyone is saying go in the morning and I have to agree. Your internal clocks will be all messed up anyway so might as well train them to get their early and have a nap later in the day. It is amazing how much you can get done in the first 2 hours of the park opening as opposed to say 1-3 pm. My teenagers tell me the only time they like getting up that early is for Disney!

Have fun planning.

Haha, I figured that, being from Calgary, you wouldn't be an Oilers fan! My family still lives in Edmonton - my uncle was actually the Oilers team dentist for 25 years, until he recently retired. Yep, they kept him busy! :rotfl2:

I am really liking the idea of Crystal Palace on Christmas morning, the more I think about it. But I know that it will book out pretty fast, so will have to be right on the ball making the reservation. And if I do that, and want to do the fantasmic dinner package that night, then we will have to get Park Hoppers. Will we have trouble getting into HS later in the day though? Or because we have an ADR, do they have to let us in?

Thanks for the liberty tavern suggestion, but none of us like turkey! And DH and DS are both fussy eaters, so yes I am studying menus closely when looking at dining options.

Illuminations almost sounds too easy for WDW! No need to plan?! Is it WDW's version of WoC? What about the fireworks - do I need to pre-plan that or at least get there early to get a good position?

Welcome to Aus too :)

We usually go through stub hub and haven't had any problems. With your itinerary, you might not have much of a chance to get to an NFL game though. :scratchin Possibly in San Fran, or you could drive/cab it to San Diego. There isn't an NFL team in LA or Vegas (or you could do what we did last year, and fly interstate especially for a game!). The schedule will be released in late April, I think. There are a couple of basketball teams in LA, so you shouldn't have much of a problem getting to one of those games (but maybe it's harder to get tickets to Lakers games?).

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing around with our dates and so we can leave Sydney before the airfares really sky rocket, we'll head to san diego for 3 nights before our cruise. So hopefully we can can an NFL game then.

Stubhub is a good one. In 2012 when we did our south-western USA trip, I booked tickets to the Lakers and Coyotes via the respective team websites. Lakers was through their season ticketholder seat resale program - basically people who can't attend the game put their seats back for resale and you pay whatever they're asking through ticketmaster. Pricy, but was a good experience.

Unfortunately the start of the hockey season was postponed just as we arrived in the States due to some sort of pay dispute so we couldn't go to see that. Shame, it was the game we were looking forward to. Luckily we bought it through official channels so I was able to get refunds a few weeks later no problems.

In our 2015 trip, I am hoping to see some more sport if possible. In Orlando there's really only one option - Orlando Magic - but we'll be staying in Anaheim for about 9 nights so chances are pretty good that the Ducks will be playing at home during that time. If I want to see some football, I'll have to either go down the road to San Diego, or roadtrip to Tampa or Miami while we're in Orlando.

Glad I've decided to add a few nights in San Diego and hopefully we can see an NFL game. :) And I'd love to see an ice hockey game. Adding that to my list of wants :)

I had tentatively scheduled in all 3 days at MK only using early morning entry. I hadn't considered using the extra late hours at all, though it might come in handy (but maybe we just won't plan for it, and if we happen to stay for it, then so be it). But yeah, the nights might be a big chilly too, so we'll have to be prepared for that (I don't want to be lugging stuff around in the parks all day though). Do all the parks offer EMH? My other idea was to avoid EMH completely - though it seems difficult to do as MK has EMH almost every day!

MK should be the only one with emh each morning. The other parks will have them scheduled but not every day. If you head to MK emh on a day another park has them that would probably be slightly better crowd wise than the days MK is the only park with them. I would also steer clear on Christmas Day but I think you were planning DHS for that day any way, so you've already got that covered.

Haha, I figured that, being from Calgary, you wouldn't be an Oilers fan! My family still lives in Edmonton - my uncle was actually the Oilers team dentist for 25 years, until he recently retired. Yep, they kept him busy! :rotfl2: I am really liking the idea of Crystal Palace on Christmas morning, the more I think about it. But I know that it will book out pretty fast, so will have to be right on the ball making the reservation. And if I do that, and want to do the fantasmic dinner package that night, then we will have to get Park Hoppers. Will we have trouble getting into HS later in the day though? Or because we have an ADR, do they have to let us in? Thanks for the liberty tavern suggestion, but none of us like turkey! And DH and DS are both fussy eaters, so yes I am studying menus closely when looking at dining options. Illuminations almost sounds too easy for WDW! No need to plan?! Is it WDW's version of WoC? What about the fireworks - do I need to pre-plan that or at least get there early to get a good position? Welcome to Aus too :)

Hmm they may not let you in on Christmas Day if you don't eat turkey. haha.. Guess that would be the equivalent of me thinking putting an egg on top of your Cesear salad is about the worst thing you can do.

Illuminations is hard to describe, more international feel than just Disney movies but lights and fireworks like WoC over water. Again the space issue comes into play as there is sooooo much more land in Florida so they can do these things properly. You will love Fantasmic as you get to sit on a seat! Fireworks is the same as DL if you want to see it over the castle as main street is very similar in design. That one will be very crowded.

We have never been there on Christmas Day so I don't know about getting in with an ADR when the park is full but I would think if anyone can get it that would be the reason why. Did you check out Le Cellier? Being Canadian I always feel obligated to go although we have better steak houses in the real Canada. Lots of people rave about it and have it at the top of the list. Teppan in the Japanese pavillion is lots of fun too, as they cook it at your table.

My son and I just arrived here from a Disneyland trip so I am just putting the finishing touches on my photopass pics. Makes me want to go back and it's only been 2 weeks since I was there. Hong Kong Disney maybe in the Oct school break.....

Thanks for the welcome

Illuminations sounds wonderful - that'll be a definite must-see.

And I will put the steakhouse on my list of possible ADR's (not sure DS will agree, but I know DH will!). I doubt we'll end up doing everything on my list though!

HK Disney in October would be great. At least it's close-ish to Australia! We haven't been there yet, though we have considered it (it looks a bit small to me, so I am worried I'd be disappointed?). You must be a real Disney fan - 2 trips within a few months! I am envious!

Disney in October would be great. At least it's close-ish to Australia! We haven't been there yet, though we have considered it (it looks a bit small to me, so I am worried I'd be disappointed?).

I know I'm in the minority here, but I love HKDL :goodvibes It's small, but charming, and has some of the best themed areas and the best parade of all the Disney parks :thumbsup2 The hotels are beautiful too. DH and I spent 4 nights there on our honeymoon, and I wasn't ready to leave. It's not the place to go if you're only interested in rides though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter