Question about ice cream...

rhanditresmom

<font color=red>Apparantly I play for the Washingt
I posted in theme parks and it was suggested that I try here as well....just wondering if the sugar free ice cream choices have improved at WDW? We were there a couple of years ago and my DS, who is a child with diabetes, was so disappointed to only have vanilla as an option (strawberry is his fave!). He was also disappointed that he didn't have much to chose from in the candy store! He doesn't have these things very often, but they are nice on a vacation!

Thanks for any info you have!

I was told at 1900 Park Fare that all resort reataurants have sugar free ice cream. If you like to buy ice cream from the vendors, ask if they have it. If they don't the CM can radio someone to deliver the ice cream to them.

maybe you could call the chefs at MK and ask them what flavors are available. they are very helpful w/food questions and will probably check with the other parks for you and get back to you. try this number

MAGIC KINGDOM Executive Chef 407-824-5967

-dj

I can tolerate dairy, but I cannot process the carageenan used as a stabilizer in many dairy products. Does anyone know if the ice cream in Disney has carageenan?

Originally posted by pampam
I can tolerate dairy, but I cannot process the carageenan used as a stabilizer in many dairy products. Does anyone know if the ice cream in Disney has carageenan?
Very likely. Carageenan is handy for Dairy processors as both a stabilizer and as a suspension agent (i.e. keeps the flavors and chunks suspended in the solution while it is freezing). I have a faint memory that perhaps Carageenan is derived from red sea kelp like the kind that washes up on the beaches in my home state of Maine.

I am sure the MK Executive Chef can answer these questions. I have always found the Disney folks to be very sensitive and accommodating to all kinds of health related issues (including food allergies).

they definitely have complete ingredient lists of everything they serve. Brenda at the number i posted above once e-mailed me the ingredient list for the turkey legs so i could check the additives. and the chef at 1900 PF once brought the label off the turkey package to my table so i could see if there was anything in the turkey i shouldn't eat.

they are very good at handling special dietary needs and if you have a PS somewhere they will probably go buy you an icecream type that you CAN eat if they don't usually stock it!

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter