Question about my time dining

sarahco

Earning My Ears
Hi, we have had half a dozen carnival cruises now and this is our first Royal carribbean. I'm noticing differences in the dining layouts and am abit unsure of how rc will work. We chose My time dining because it is what we always went with on carnival. We made reservations for 7:30 unlike just showing up when on carnival because rc seems to like their reservations. The only option for res we could get that wasn't too early was 7:30. They recommend 2 hours for dinner. My question is, if we go to dinner 7:30 can we make it to the the 9:00 show times? Or ask to put a rush on dinner? 2 hours is longer than I would like to spend at dinner and carnival never took that long. Party of 4. Advice would be great thanks!

IIRC, our dinners took ~75-90 minutes. I'm sure you can ask the servers to "rush" (just let them know you plan on making the 9pm shows). Also keep in mind it will probably be a 10-15 minute walk to get from the MDR to the theater (assuming the MDR is aft and the theater forward). The closer you show up to showtime, the tougher time you'll have finding four seats together.

I would keep the 7:30 reservations, but keep checking online to see if an earlier time opens up. If it doesn't, stop by the MDR when you get on board and see if you can get the time changed (I think 7:00 would be plenty early).

Thank you! I dont understand why this has to be complicated. "My time dining" but you can only reserve certain times online. Jumps from 5:45 to 7:30 .. Have to see what I can change here.

This is our first cruise with MTD so I can't talk from personal experience, but I've read on another thread that sometimes they block out certain times with online booking (e.g. From 5:45-7). You can apparently go to the MDR when you are there and book earlier.

Thank you! I dont understand why this has to be complicated. "My time dining" but you can only reserve certain times online. Jumps from 5:45 to 7:30 .. Have to see what I can change here.
I agree with Frozen2014. I also don't understand why they disallow bookings during certain times, but we worked around it for our Freedom cruise last year.

Here was my experience with MTD as a party of 2. We never got a table for 2, even though we requested it twice for special occasions. A few times we had to wait for the rest of the table to be seated. I think one time at a large table they may have taken orders from half the table instead of making us wait to fill the table. There were a few times where were put at a table for 4 and had to wait awhile for the other pair. If you want to make the show I would get there early, at least by 7:15, if you're lucky, you'll either get a table for 4, or you can tell them you're willing to wait for 1, and then you can as for appetizers to come with dinner or skip dessert or something to save time. Or you'll be seated at nearly full table that is ready to order and that will hurry things along a little.

We cruised on the Freedom last month (not sure what ship you're on) and did My Time Dining for our party of 4. We had reservations either at 5:45 or 7:30 every night. Once we asked the servers to rush so we could make the 7:30 show, but we wouldn't have wanted to do it every night. Dinner was usually at least 90 minutes, and you'll want to be in the theater at least 10 min before the show to get a decent seat (or you may have a pole in front of you). I assume they only allow booking those times because they need to fit in two seatings. If everyone came in at 6:30pm, they could only get in one seating. We were always seated at a table for 4 (seemed like the My Time dining room had fewer large tables than the others) and liked our servers the first night so requested them the next couple of nights, then we were automatically placed in their section the other nights. It did not seem like people were really ever seated after 6pm or before 7:30pm for the two seatings, but you can always ask once on board. Our ship was very full, so maybe that makes a difference?

How do you request a table for 2. Can you do it online? I don't know how I feel about siting with other people.

I agree with Frozen2014. I also don't understand why they disallow bookings during certain times, but we worked around it for our Freedom cruise last year.

Depends on the ship.. Allure we had no problem making a reservation for the times that we wanted. There didn't seem to be any time frames blacked out.

there could be a group of tables booked already
Hi, we have had half a dozen carnival cruises now and this is our first Royal carribbean. I'm noticing differences in the dining layouts and am abit unsure of how rc will work. We chose My time dining because it is what we always went with on carnival. We made reservations for 7:30 unlike just showing up when on carnival because rc seems to like their reservations. The only option for res we could get that wasn't too early was 7:30. They recommend 2 hours for dinner. My question is, if we go to dinner 7:30 can we make it to the the 9:00 show times? Or ask to put a rush on dinner? 2 hours is longer than I would like to spend at dinner and carnival never took that long. Party of 4. Advice would be great thanks!

My time dining is as such. Its the same as on Carnival...
You can make a reservation...or you can just show up and eat when you want.
When you get to the dining room there are usually 2 lines. My time dining WITH reservations. and My Time Dining WITHOUT Reservations.
If you are concerned just show up at 6pm and eat.

It probably depends what ship you are on. We has 6 or 6:30 reservations for MTD every night. This was on the Allure. then we cancelled the Reservations and just showed up when we were hungry.

How do you request a table for 2. Can you do it online? I don't know how I feel about siting with other people.

Call Royal and have them note on your reservation that you would like to be sat alone.
We always do this and our Party of 3 has never had an issue being at a table to ourselves.
IT's not that we don't like other people :) Dinner is our quiet family time.

I had setup the MTD options through RCL website when I had booked the cruise. There was an option to request to be sat alone or with a group of people. Because it was our honeymoon, we opted for the table of 2 every night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter