Question for Anaheim/LA area residents

CamoMama

DIS Veteran
I'm going to a Disney job expo in a couple of months, there are 3 positions that would be good for my skillset that I am applying for. One is in Burbank, the other 2 are in Anaheim. I currently live in FAR northern California and know absolutely nothing about the area save for Harbor Ave, and even less about Burbank. If I manage to get hired on with Disney (holy crap, dream come true!) I will need to move myself and 2 teenagers south. Does anyone have any advice on neighborhoods that are not incredibly expensive but still safe with decent schools? I need a house with at least 3 bedrooms, hopefully in the less than $1000/mo range (I found a few online, but I have no clue whether teh neighborhoods are okay for kids aside from what the rental ad claims). I plan on buying soon, but I want to rent a while to get a feel for the neighborhoods and decide where I really want to live. I may not get any of the jobs, but I like to have a plan in place just as a precaution, I'm seriously OCD when it comes to planning. Thanks!

I live in the area, however I'm not up to date with rent. I own a house. However, $1,000 a month for a 3 bedroom house sounds really low. If you could be more precise about the general locations, then we could give you better advice.

I do not live there, but I used to live in the Bay Area. I know the housing market has dropped, but we couldn't find a 2 bedroom condo or apartment under $1300 a month in the far suburbs of SF. I would not imagine there is anything even close to that price range in an area you'd feel comfortable sending your kids to school.

If I had any idea where things are in the area I wouldn't need it. Rental ads online give very little indication of where a property is located, for that it's usually necessary to call. I'd prefer not to waste my time on properties in shady areas. I pay about that for a large 3 bedroom where I am, I realize that the cost of housing is lower here than in southern California, but I'm sure it's possible to find a small place in a decent area down there. Just a heads up on the bad neighborhoods in the Anaheim or Burbank areas would be helpful so when I do call to get more information I can be armed with a little bit of knowledge. If you don't know, well, thanks anyway.

. I pay about that for a large 3 bedroom where I am, I realize that the cost of housing is lower here than in southern California, but I'm sure it's possible to find a small place in a decent area down there. Just a heads up on the bad neighborhoods in the Anaheim or Burbank areas would be helpful so when I do call to get more information I can be armed with a little bit of knowledge. If you don't know, well, thanks anyway.

I am farther south in San Diego, but our 2/1.5 apartment is $1800 a month. Just to give you an idea, BAH down here is $2100 a month. Basically it's realllly expensive. If you can find a 3 bedroom somewhere for $1,000, I can almost guarantee it's in a bad neighborhood.

Darn. I don't know yet what the salary is for the positions available, or when they might start. I'm afraid of having something like 2 weeks to get moved, and it would definitely take longer than that to house hunt in an area of that size. I've always been able to find a decent deal on a place, even in Seattle where rents are comparable to what you've said, but if I move I definitely won't have the kind of time that I devoted to previous house hunts as I always had somewhere to stay while I looked before. I have some family in LA, maybe I can leave my kids with their dad for the summer while I stay with them and look. I hate being unemployed and even more I hate not knowing what's coming in future. I really am an OCD planner. May needs to hurry up and get here so I can know whether I will be moving.

My husband and I used to live in Long Beach (about 25-30 minutes from Anaheim) and we paid $1300 for a one bedroom, one bath, 750 sq ft apt. $1000 for a 3 bedroom sounds like it may not be in such a great area. Hopefully more folks will pop in and give their input.

There was one that gives a neighborhood, N Tustin in Santa Ana, any idea whether "great neighborhood" and "award winning schools" has any iota of truth to it?

if you were driving to Burbank you'd pay in gas what you weren't paying in rent - not to mention an hour+ commute each way.

I live 11 miles from DLR and can vouch you will not find a 3 bedroom house for $1000. N. Tustin and Santa Ana have several seedy areas- I'd steer clear of there.

If I were you, I'd be working with an agent to help you find a decent rental in your price range and who can help you decide on an area.

Good luck!

Hi there.. no advice for you other than all the best wishes your dream!! Don't loose faith!

Ack! Helpful comments just when I was beginning to despair! Thank you. I'll consider an agent. I've never used one before though, and I'm loathe to pay someone when I'm in the midst of a career change. But you do what you gotta do, I guess. Thanks.

Ack! Helpful comments just when I was beginning to despair! Thank you. I'll consider an agent. I've never used one before though, and I'm loathe to pay someone when I'm in the midst of a career change. But you do what you gotta do, I guess. Thanks.

Sometimes agents are paid by the people renting out the house, not the ones looking, you might get lucky. And once you research the neighborhoods a bit more, don't forget about Craigslist!! That's how we found our place. Also, I'd recommend if you do get a job, you should really REALLY consider commute time (and cost) as well, as a PP mentioned. For me, it's worth paying more to have a 12 minute commute vs. a 45 minute one (and up there it could be even more). The extra expense makes up for the potential lost time in my opinion.

Good luck! I just saw a commercial on TV yesterday by Disney talking about how they take pride in hiring vets! :)

I am farther south in San Diego, but our 2/1.5 apartment is $1800 a month. Just to give you an idea, BAH down here is $2100 a month. Basically it's realllly expensive. If you can find a 3 bedroom somewhere for $1,000, I can almost guarantee it's in a bad neighborhood.

I had to pay 1100 per month for a 1 bedroom (small) (from 2000-2003). I love California, but I had to get a bigger place.

Google for a "buyers agent" in the So Cal area and then call and talk to one or more. Tell them you what you are looking for (rent first then buy) and you will get very personalized service.

A buyers agent is there for you and only you BUT they are paid by the rental agency or out of the commission on the house sale. They cost you nothing but are all for you.

They know the area they work in and can help you make the best decision for you and your kids.

I did this when I bought a house in the Pacfic Northwest. She pointed out all the things that were good about places I looked at and she also pointed out what needed fixed. Some of the places I thought I wanted had some pretty big problems under a fine surface and she saved me a big headache.

And I am sending happy thoughts your way that your dream comes true. Both for employment with Disney and the perfect house in the best area for you and the kids.:banana: :dance3: :cheer2:

There was one that gives a neighborhood, N Tustin in Santa Ana, any idea whether "great neighborhood" and "award winning schools" has any iota of truth to it?

That description is a stretch for that area. Only you can really decide what will work for you.
Google the actual school in that neighborhood. Call and talk to the principle on the phone. Come and spend a weekend looking around - But I would not move without having the job first.

Pockets of Tustin are zoned to Irvine USD; one of the highest rated, most respected, districts in the state. People pay BIG bucks to live in areas that feed into IUSD.

But there are also highly rated schools in both Tustin USD, and contrary to public perception, even in Santa Ana USD.

But you really have to do your homework, because some schools in those districts, especially SAUSD, are failing miserably.

Long story short, the ad may be telling the truth, but I certainly wouldn't count on it without verifying the information.

In general you will pay more for an area with good schools though, whether buying or renting.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I will be shocked if you find a 3 bedroom house in an even semi-decent area for under $1,000 a month. But never say never I guess.

FWIW, I think people will be more willing to take the time to share information once they know you actually have the job offer and are moving, and whether you're heading to Anaheim or Burbank.

Good luck with the interviews!

Thanks all. I am definitely not moving anywhere until I have a job there. I'm trying to research early the areas where I might become employed so that I won't have to find a place at the very last minute with no prior knowledge of the areas in addition to packing up and moving house. Whenever I've changed jobs before I've had 2 weeks or less to start, which is not a lot of time to find a place, pack my current place and move 9 hours south. I prefer to be somewhat prepared for all possible outcomes, so yeah, serious OCD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter