• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for LAX Frequent Flyers

baileysgm

Mouseketeer
Hawaiian air has changed our flight arrival time from Honolulu to LAX :headache:This change will only allow a 1.5 hour connection time for our Southwest flight from LAX to Nashville. We arrive at terminal 2 and depart at terminal 1.

The flights are scheduled on Saturday March 22...Hawaiian arrives at 4:20pm and SW leaves at 5:55pm. For those who fly in and out of LAX frequently, do we have a snowball's chance of getting our luggage, going through security in a different terminal and making the SW flight?
Thanks so much!

You shouldn't have to go through security again. They have shuttles to the different terminals. I had a 30 minute layover there in a different terminal. I made it but had to run!

Edit: Just saw you're flying two different airlines! You should be fine though.

Hawaiian arrives at Terminal 2, and Southwest is in Terminal 1. Unfortunately, it does appear that you will have to *probably* collect baggage at Terminal 2 and process through security in Terminal 1 since it *appears* that there is no inside terminal connection available.

From the LAWA website:

What do I need to know about connecting to a flight at the airport?

If you arrive on a flight at Terminals 5, 6, 7, or 8 and connecting to another flight within these terminals, you do not have to exit the secured side of TSA screening as these terminals are linked with passageways. However, if you arrive on a flight at Terminals 1, 2, 3, or the Tom Bradley International Terminals and connecting to a flight at Terminals 5, 6, 7, or 8, you have to exit the secured side of TSA screening and the terminal and walk across to the terminal or board the Airline Connections “A” Shuttle (which operates on 12-15 minute intervals) under the LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections blue sign on the Lower/Arrivals Level islands in front of each terminal.

That is cutting it really close at LAX. When we arrive Hawaiian Airlines in Terminal 2 it takes about 15-20 minutes for your luggage to come out...then you'd have to go over to the next terminal and go through security...which at LAX could be no problem if its not busy but could then also take up to 30-40 minutes (or more).

You might be able to make the connection in 1.5 hours, but if anything went wrong or took longer than usual, you'd miss your flight....Can hawaiian airlines give you another option?

And whatever you do, don't take the shuttle from terminal 2 to terminal 1. It runs counter-clockwise and will give the your the not-so-scenic tour of all the other terminals. Once you have your luggage, head to the sidewalk and walk east -- facing traffic -- to Southwest.

Have you thought about not checking luggage? -- Suzanne

I agree with not taking the shuttle, It would be much faster to walk across the street. Traffic can be a nightmare just getting around the "U". It would take you 4 minutes to walk across to the other side.

Thanks, everyone! We've decided to risk it...with the Hawaiian flight being the first of the day to LAX it will hopefully be on time and with the Southwest flight being the last of the day out of LAX, it will hopefully be delayed a little:wizard:

We don't want to spend the night in LA plus we save $150 coming back on Saturday vs. Sunday. Of course if we miss the plane it'll probably end up costing around $1000 for the fare difference for 4 plus a hotel:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter